Mcburnie

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I just think it's difficult to call him a "poor signing" when he's just significantly contributed to our promotion to the PL.

If we'd signed him last summer for £12-15m and he'd done that, I'd be delighted with it.
I don't disagree that it doesn't entirely make up for two seasons of nothing and one mediocre one at PL level when he joined but it goes a long way.

If he keeps up this level of performance for a full season then he's a proper PL player.
How much are they worth?

Brewster has been a terrible signing but that's not all his fault. If he'd had a clean bill of health I'd wager he'd have contributed an awful lot by now. The one run of games he had for us at Championship level his improvement rate was rapid.
I think you're a bit harsh with mediocre.

His first season was promising.

I'd say:
Season 1 - promising, contributed to a good team effort
Season 2 - disappointing, didn't kick on, started to get distracted
Season 3 - complete non-event, some not do good life choices and never fit
Season 4 - showed increased maturity and leadership and ultimately had a very good impact on a successful season

I think he also suffered in season 2 where Wilder inexplicably tried to turn him into Jon Parkin.

McBurnie has a good physicality, competes well but this undersells his strengths. I'm pleased that we have a proper player to operate in front of him and that will allow him to flourish more. He's different to Ndiaye, but he's also hard to dispossess and his build up play is very underrated.

He's just the level of United. When we do well he can do well. He can raise his game to levels we can. Some players like Ndiaye can come and go, but McBurnie could well be here for 8 years or more. So what if we yoyo a bit? I think he can be with us on that journey and he seems to get the club.

GLTTL

I think you're a bit harsh with mediocre.

His first season was promising.

I'd say:
Season 1 - promising, contributed to a good team effort
Season 2 - disappointing, didn't kick on, started to get distracted
Season 3 - complete non-event, some not do good life choices and never fit
Season 4 - showed increased maturity and leadership and ultimately had a very good impact on a successful season

I think he also suffered in season 2 where Wilder inexplicably tried to turn him into Jon Parkin.

McBurnie has a good physicality, competes well but this undersells his strengths. I'm pleased that we have a proper player to operate in front of him and that will allow him to flourish more. He's different to Ndiaye, but he's also hard to dispossess and his build up play is very underrated.

He's just the level of United. When we do well he can do well. He can raise his game to levels we can. Some players like Ndiaye can come and go, but McBurnie could well be here for 8 years or more. So what if we yoyo a bit? I think he can be with us on that journey and he seems to get the club.

GLTTL

I think since getting fully fit, we are seeing a better McBurnie. In the documentary he highlights the fact that prior to last season he was poor and not fully fit.

I'd like to think he saw a lot of qualities in Sharp that he wants to emulate. They seemed to be fairly good mates and I'd like to think the reason we are slowly but surely seeing a better McBurnie is down to Billy's influence on him.

Last edited:
Nowhere near as good as Billy, I like him, Oli is a worker, the Chris Basham of forwards, 100%% effort but short of true ability imo. He can do a job of being awkward with defenders to enable Archer etc to get through, but in the long run we need more quality

Bladesman and Pintor75 i think it's unfair to make a comparison to Billy as they're both very different players, although Billy was asked to play the McBurnie role last season due to McBurnie not being fit enough a lot of the season. It also meant that Billy had some unfair criticism last season despite working hard in the role of hold up man when called upon

I'd say that Archer is very much the Billy type, so comparisons there are fairer.

But as for McBurnie, we seem to be seeing a new player now. He's looking sharp, aggressive, determined and better with the ball, although that first half v spurs he's worked hard but with less impact than we needed.... probably sounds contradictory but we're playing a very decent side

Lost his head with some dissent for the 2nd yellow but not before the ref lost his .Maddison was allowed to show dissent with the ref with every decision he made yet walks away scott free.
Well when we got promoted I did say on here many times to get ready for the diabolical standard of referees in the prem and todays excuse for a ref as proved me right . 15 yellow cards and one red in a match that did not contain one bad tackle . The man is an idiot but unfortunately he is not on his own . There are plenty more where he has come from . So instead of getting wound up the best thing to do is expect it before a ball has been kicked and just smile and accept this league is bent . There can be no other reason for officials to be so bad doing a job in such an inconsistant way in which some players can approach a ref to question a decision and nothing said and then show a red card for a opposition player getting a red card for doing the same thing .Maddison was in the refs hear all the match Mcburnie asked once and got his marching orders .Mind you I did see Maddison have a laugh and joke with the ref as they came out for the second half .really chummy they were .No I am afraid this will be the norm all season so just get used to it guys ,its a long season .

I wouldn't like to think that he was going to be given a new three year deal.

Whilst I’d concede he does seem to have matured in recent years, even speaking like he’s from West Yorkshire rather than the West Indies and this maturity has been reflected in better performances on the pitch. He is fitter and looks more physically prepared to lead the line, but he is some way short of being a Premier League quality number 9.

The problem is, he lacks the pace, movement and anticipation to play at our current level. If we have ambitions to retain our Premier League status, then we need better, it is such a vital role, so essential for the success of the team, we just cannot accept mediocrity.

It is a position that has to be our number 1 priority in January

Whilst I’d concede he does seem to have matured in recent years, even speaking like he’s from West Yorkshire rather than the West Indies and this maturity has been reflected in better performances on the pitch. He is fitter and looks more physically prepared to lead the line, but he is some way short of being a Premier League quality number 9.

The problem is, he lacks the pace, movement and anticipation to play at our current level. If we have ambitions to retain our Premier League status, then we need better, it is such a vital role, so essential for the success of the team, we just cannot accept mediocrity.

Last January being brutally honest !!

UTB

I dunno exactly. More than Brewster I guess and less than a few others.

I do find it hilarious that some folks state that his 6 PL goals equated to X points thus meaning X million !

It categorically doesn’t !

I’m happy his form is good as of right now and hope that he can fulfil any balance of the £20m you suggest currently outstanding this season 🤟.

UTB
How does it categorically not ?

3 points v west ham
Point v man utd
3 points v brighton
Just off top of my head

This helped towards an extra 100 million pounds income which would mean he had repaid his transfer fee

He was excellent today
Thats all i know

3 points v west ham
Point v man utd
3 points v brighton
Just off top of my head

This helped towards an extra 100 million pounds income which would mean he had repaid his transfer fee

He was excellent today
Thats all i know
He did okay today, I wouldn't say he was excellent. His indiscipline has caused a problem for next week now.

3 points v west ham
Point v man utd
3 points v brighton
Just off top of my head

He was excellent today
Thats all i know
Yep.

Apparently, that IS all 👍.

UTB

3 points v west ham
Point v man utd
3 points v brighton
Just off top of my head

He was excellent today
Thats all i know
He wasn’t excellent, he won a lot of headers, he retained possession and brought other players into the game, which is all we can expect of him. But then, needlessly got himself sent off.

I thought he was much better v Everton, but still not excellent. He played well, created chances and was a great partner for Archer. As I said, I think he lacks the necessary pace and movement to be truly ‘excellent’ against top Premier League defenders. Be honest Frank, he isn’t going to keep us up, is he?

For scale, I’d describe, Iliman Ndiaye as an excellent footballer 😉

Played well today. Better than spurs centre forward who is apparently world class

He wasn’t excellent, he won a lot of headers, he retained possession and brought other players into the game, which is all we can expect of him. But then, needlessly got himself sent off.

I thought he was much better v Everton, but still not excellent. He played well, created chances and was a great partner for Archer. As I said, I think he lacks the necessary pace and movement to be truly ‘excellent’ against top Premier League defenders. Be honest Frank, he isn’t going to keep us up, is he?

Ok so he wasnt excellent he was just really really good

Watch it back.

Lots of headers that went straight to the oppo. Not all his own fault when hopeful balls are punted forwards but nevertheless, not at all good.

Possession retention, a key determinant, was attrocious.

As I say, watch it back.

Decent vs City.

Good vs Everton.

Not at the races today.

UTB

Watch it back.

Lots of headers that went straight to the oppo. Not all his own fault when hopeful balls are punted forwards but nevertheless, not at all good.

As I say, watch it back.

Decent vs City.

Good vs Everton.

Not at the races today.

UTB
He won absolutely everything in the air today and his link-up play was fine. I had Spurs fans around me moaning about how easily he was having over their defenders. If you reckoned he wasn’t at the races that would suggest to me that you rate him very highly but I don’t think you do 😂.

Watch it back.

As I say, watch it back.

Decent vs City.

Good vs Everton.

Not at the races today.

UTB
Why lie ?

He won absolutely everything in the air today and his link-up play was fine. I had Spurs fans around me moaning about how easily he was having over their defenders. If you reckoned he wasn’t at the races that would suggest to me that you rate him very highly but I don’t think you do 😂.
Someone punch up his possession retention stats up for today to prove my point.

I don’t need to see them cos these 👀 clocked his every move but it seems that other folks 👀 did not !!!

UTB

Someone punch up his possession retention stats up for today to prove my point.

I don’t need to see them cos these 👀 clocked his every move but it seems that other folks 👀 did not !!!

UTB
I watched the game in person so I wasn’t checking possession retention stats and haven’t looked them up. But for me his retention seemed about as good as any of our players. And against that he won everything in the air and link-up was OK. He was one of our better players for me.

Watch it back.

As I say, watch it back.

Decent vs City.

Good vs Everton.

Not at the races today.

UTB
IMG_8846.jpeg

Are you going to buy us a striker with your Christmas money ? 🥳

There was a poor display from a United striker today, but I don't think we're allowed to mention who it was. The clue is that he wasn't sent off. The kid looks a bit heavy and his second touch was a tackle. He did improve a bit second half before his legs went. He needs to work on playing off a big man as he got great service and made very little of it.. Anticipation, touch and movement were all pretty poor tbh. Early days of course. Macca also off it but, again, early days...

Back
Top Bottom