McAtee - I would genuinely like to hear how anyone thinks this isn't a penalty

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The old cliché: Anywhere else on the pitch and that’s a foul.

You just knew this was going to happen. Hooper had fucked up in a big game and caused a lot of controversy and outrage. He'll have had a bollocking and told not to make any contentious calls in his next game and not cause any headlines.

Our game against liverpool is the perfect one for that. Give Liverpool everything because no one of note is going to kick up much of a stink over us getting done over. If Liverpool get anything against them, an army of ex player pundits will be screaming blue murder and Klopp will be chewing the scenery. It'll go down as being a decent performance and hooper can breathe a sigh of relief.

Do they still do that ref watch thing on sky? Doubt it'll even be mentioned even if they do.

This is a pen no doubt. Remember the Harry Maguire one on McAttee as well. Both nailed on.
On both Liverpool's goals there were clear and obvious fouls immediately prior to scoring.
If Liverpool had lost to those decisions the media uproar inquest would last for weeks.
We played very well last night. Bare minimum we should have from it is a point.
Totally unfair in Prem. Big names get away with all the decisions going their way. We get sweet FA.
It's too frequent to be random.
The foul not given on Bogle after which which they scored their second put the game to bed.
United should get put a compilation of clips of all these unbelievable decisions going against us and get some lawyers in and demand explanations from those running and ruining the game we all love as to why it keeps happening. It's hard enough competing against much better players without the referees assisting the big clubs.

United should get put a compilation of clips of all these unbelievable decisions going against us and get some lawyers in and demand explanations from those running and ruining the game we all love as to why it keeps happening. It's hard enough competing against much better players without the referees assisting the big clubs.

We've had plenty of occasions where shirt pulling has gone unpunished when we're defending corners.

Shocking decision by the ref. But WTF happened to VAR? They must have agreed with the decision. This is not shirt-pulling he has been pushed off the ball whilst getting in position to shoot.

If they dont think its "obvious" then they wont overrule him.
1st goal - is it clear clip by Van Dijk on Anel or a collision?
Pen - yep, watched live didnt think so but on reflection I think its a massive push and should have been a pen
2nd goal - again, watched live, saw him win ball and thought yep ok, but looking back, scissor tackle from behind - very much dangerous so should have been a freekick, Bogle got booked for remonstrating.
VAR - bent

Don’t think he had complete control of the ball, seen them given, but it would be a harsh decision.
This was the argument Clive Tyldesley used last night ( commentator in justifying decision for big club shocker). Wasn't aware that this was a rule. Presumably if two players are sprinting for a ball it is OK to simply take one of them out. As I understood the rule, a foul in the area is a penalty.

This annoys me too - what has the ball got to do with it? If you push someone over 30 yards away from the ball it’s still a foul!

Having said that… I don’t think it was a penalty. Light push at best and you can see a sort of ‘second movement’ after contact as he makes sure it looks as bad as possible.

Their two goals though 😡😡😡

I like to discuss the rule and incidents and there are some people who this it isn't. Let's hear it!

Sorry, but that “push” doesn’t make McAtee fall that obviously, even if travelling at speed.
As far as I can see there is no other contact.
Maybe we should concentrate on McAtee missing early on and the three good chances Archer had, rather than blaming the officials for our loss ?

Same with Osula in first half racing towards the byline Van Dijk pushes him out of play, never even attempted to play for the ball, as Osula went down it came off his foot throwing to them. He only did it as Osula was past him.

That at other end and Robinson "not pushing him" its a pen to Liverpool.

Lets face it VAR wasnt going to give us anything last night.

Same with Osula in first half racing towards the byline Van Dijk pushes him out of play, never even attempted to play for the ball, as Osula went down it came off his foot throwing to them. He only did it as Osula was past him.

That at other end and Robinson "not pushing him" its a pen to Liverpool.

Lets face it VAR wasnt going to give us anything last night.
Osula just got out strengthed by a quality defender. No foul for me.

I think that's probably a penalty to the letter of the law, but it's a subjective one and so you won't get them every time.

Definitely not a clear and obvious error, and VAR should not be overturning (or even getting involved) in these sort of decisions.

VAR may make referees more reluctant to blow for fouls in the box.

Some are clear, no discussion. Some are not, and need an objective decision.

Before, a referee may have looked at a situation and given a pen or free kick if he felt 60% sure he'd spotted a foul.

With VAR the ref knows they can intervene if he's missed something. So, even if he's leaning towards giving it, he may decide not to. Unless he feels, say 70% sure. (Linesmen's offside decisions are similar).

VAR on the other hand are instructed not to intervene unless it's "clear and obvious". Unless VAR feel 80% sure there's a foul, they may keep quiet.

Leading to all kinds of stuff going on in the box.

Shocking decision by the ref. But WTF happened to VAR? They must have agreed with the decision. This is not shirt-pulling he has been pushed off the ball whilst getting in position to shoot.

VAR was that utterly useless chinless turd, Michael Oliver - the Big 6’s friend.

One of the very worst of an incredibly poor set of referees that we currently have, and he’s been screwing us over on a regular basis ever since he allowed Madine and Reda Johnson to assault Simonsen for the Pig’s goal in the 2011 Sheffield derby.

As for Hooper, how the hell is he refereeing professional football let alone top flight games? He can’t possibly be fit enough to do the job. Seeing him waddling around failing to make decisions last night it looked like he must have a 40’ waist.

It says a lot when even Danny Mills has criticised Hooper this morning - saying that he basically spent the match being passive and declining to make any decisions - possibly as a reaction to the pig’s ear he made of Man City’s game at the weekend.

This was the argument Clive Tyldesley used last night ( commentator in justifying decision for big club shocker). Wasn't aware that this was a rule. Presumably if two players are sprinting for a ball it is OK to simply take one of them out. As I understood the rule, a foul in the area is a penalty.
Explains why Van Dijk was allowed to bundle his way through the back of our forwards all game unpunished and a header in the first half he had from a corner, not long after the goal where he was all over the top of whoever was marking him.

This stuff winds me up just playing 5-a-sides. Get your bloody mits off your opponent! There is only one thing on earth he’s trying to do there, and it’s nothing to do with the ball.

Yes a pen would feel soft. But what the chuff is he doing?

There was a similar incident in the Brentford match but with much less contact .

The referee awarded them a penalty without hesitation .

Back
Top Bottom