Incoming? Matt Richie

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Sure he’s played on the right on occasions too? Could be a great option to bring in for RWB if Baldock is now injured? Can’t see it though unfortunately

If we're serious and want to push for promotion this season then surely we look to bring in players with experience, obvious potential, or a combination of both. For some reason my memory where Ritchie is concerned is a tad foggy, but the consensus seems to be that he could be the difference we need.

Position wise he’s almost an Osborn replica. I think Ritchie would be great in the championship but struggle to see the logic squad make-up wise and if we have limited budget.

Edit: but you can’t have too many good players so…

I like the positivity, but;

Decent Prem player at his peak? Yes

"one of the best in Prem"? No
My memory might be a off but i do remember he had a spell where they where constantly raving about him on MOTD.

A few things would concern me.

1. Whose spot is he going to take? He plays wide, not centrally. So either he takes minutes of N'Diaye or Khadra (if he comes) or Berge, or he takes minutes off a left wing back of which we have 4 options already including Osborn.

2. He hasn't been a consistent goal scorer since 2016/17 and that is more likely the role there we need.

3. He's 33 in September. It's inevitable he'll be more prone to injury.

4. He's probably on high wages and may not even be a regular.

I'd rather have someone who is younger and with a better potential attacking output on less wages and I'd rather see N'Diaye flourish rather than be stymied by a highly paid older pro coming in.
If it’s true, it may be that we’re looking at alternatives to Khadra. He’s also versatile. Whenever I’ve seen him play for Newcastle he’s always put a proper shift in, seemed very committed. I get the age thing and I don’t know about his fitness but he won’t be the oldest player at the club. I still think Wilder is right in thinking it’s the senior, experienced players who get you over the line. So I wouldn’t be upset if we loaned him and I’d guess we wouldn’t be paying all his wages, just a proportion.

We were already down in January, signing Lingard would have been pointless even if he would have made us better.

Most against his signing were because they didn't rate him rather than Utd's league position at the time and likelihood of relegation (which I actually agree with).

Most against his signing were because they didn't rate him rather than Utd's league position at the time and likelihood of relegation (which I actually agree with).

Yes there was a bit of that true, which was nonsense. I do think there were legitimate reasons people voices against the signing too though.

Yes there was a bit of that true, which was nonsense. I do think there were legitimate reasons people voices against the signing too though.

Personally, if played right (linking mid & attention rather than the Lundstram RCM role I suspect he would have played) he could have made a huge difference but as good a player as he is, I think I actually agreed at the time that it wouldn't have been an effective use of resources and they'd be better reserved for the following season, which I think actually turned out to be the case.

Oh how I wish we had a transfer strategy. Why are we looking at old, past their best Premier League players on their way down on big wages?

Oh how I wish we had a transfer strategy. Why are we looking at old, past their best Premier League players on their way down on big wages?

I know. But we’ve basically done the opposite this pre season.

The club isn’t looking to sign old, past their best players on PL wages. But our fan base loves them.🤷‍♂️

Still think he's a match winner on his day drop from the prem playing a run of games may be just what he needs .turns a 0-0 to a 1-0 has massive experience if the wage is within the club budget get him in

Old or young isn't the argument we should be concerned with, it's whether or not they can improve the first team in a significant manner.
Currently, IMO, we lack legs, pace and bite in our midfield and without an improvement in this department we'll not challenge the top 4 in this division.
I've not seen enough of Ritchie in the last 12 months to have a valid opinion in his potential to improve us but we definitely need strengthening in this area.

Old or young isn't the argument we should be concerned with, it's whether or not they can improve the first team in a significant manner.
Currently, IMO, we lack legs, pace and bite in our midfield and without an improvement in this department we'll not challenge the top 4 in this division.
I've not seen enough of Ritchie in the last 12 months to have a valid opinion in his potential to improve us but we definitely need strengthening in this area.
Well he's not fast. Great left peg.

Feels unlikely. I'd want another pacey attacking midfielder personally.

Eddie Howe has tried to convince him to stay at Newcastle, but Matt Ritchie wants to move to the South for family reasons.
Last time I checked, we're not located in the South.

This isn't happening.

You do realise at 32 his legs haven't fallen off? I don't get why our fans are so shit scared of us signing an older player, especially ones that were too good for us when they were younger?

Just because we've signed too many old players in the past, doesn't mean signing any older player now is wrong. Ritchie's service to Brewster and Sharp would be crazy for Championship.

You do realise at 32 his legs haven't fallen off? I don't get why our fans are so shit scared of us signing an older player, especially ones that were too good for us when they were younger?

Just because we've signed too many old players in the past, doesn't mean signing any older player now is wrong. Ritchie's service to Brewster and Sharp would be crazy for Championship.
No sell on value. Big wages. More likely to suffer from injuries.

Smart clubs don’t recruit players of this profile.

No sell on value. Big wages. More likely to suffer from injuries.

Smart clubs don’t recruit players of this profile.
If the transfer cost is minimal, and we're sensible with wages/contract length where's the problem? Not every signing needs to be able to be sold for a profit, sometimes they're just good for the here and now - and we need creativity right now.

I for one am glad we signed people like McCall in the past.

Should always aim to have at least 3 like Ritchie in a promotion chasing squad imo - Experienced, hardworking mentally strong types with the professional pride and hunger to keep achieving - the right ones are invaluable

If the transfer cost is minimal, and we're sensible with wages/contract length where's the problem? Not every signing needs to be able to be sold for a profit, sometimes they're just good for the here and now - and we need creativity right now.

I for one am glad we signed people like McCall in the past.

And Gordon Cowans .

Back
Top Bottom