Matchday 12 Graphs - I'll Take That Every Day

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

ucandomagic

Reaction score
A point away to a side in Europe, after going a goal down. Off the bottom and rising. Yes please. No decent shots on target either. Next game - Anel back in the middle, George at RWB, Oli McB up front - with 2 weeks before that Bournemouth match to get properly fit. Let’s Go!

Graph 1
is the plot that compares our progress against our last 2 Prem seasons and against my benchmark results to achieve survival. I’ve tweaked my survival comparison slightly. In the 20-team Prem League history 35 points would have kept you up in 50% of the seasons – so my main survival line is a set of results to get 35 points. I’ve included a highest (43) and lowest (29) set of results to show the spread that has been possible for survival over the 28 seasons.

Our red line has now moved up to just 3 points below the minimum possible survival line and just 4 points behind the 50% survival chance line. Real progress. We’re already 4 points clear of Wilder’s 20/21 season.

Graph 1:
Matchday 12 - Survival Graph.jpg

Graph 2
plots our progress against the best seasons from each of the previous 4 periods that I have watched the Blades in the top flight. The early seasons have been modified to account for 3 point wins and 20 teams. I have used the actual results against the top 19 teams in each of those years. We’re now only 3 points behind Bassett’s best season in 91/92, which ended with us finishing 9th.

Graph 2:
Matchday 12 Best Prem Comparison.jpg

Finally the League Table (I didn’t wait for the City-Chelsea result!) – and off the bottom we go. Bournemouth beating Eddie’s new boys was a bit of a blow, but a result against them in 2 weeks and we’re right back in touch, 12 point deduction for the "Can’t Play For Toffees" and Fulham sliding back and it’s really game on.

League Table:
Matchday 12 - Table.jpg

2 weeks to get fit, and then we go Cherry Picking!!

UTB & Slava Ukraini

Brilliant post Graphman - I thought we were pretty shit but, as usual, your overview takes the immediate emotion out of it and puts it in perspective.

There isn’t a poster on here who wouldn’t have been delighted with that result before the game.

Thanks for managing my expectations.

UTB & wave to the Pigs!

I’ve just watched the game back, and I think you are right to be as positive as you are in your post.

Brighton were bloody good on the ball - and yet we only conceded one. Their only goal involved an unbelievably precise one-two around JLT.

If Bogle had set himself better we could so easily have won the game.

Brighton are still only 2 points off a European spot in this year’s table and are very competitive in Europe this year. We were away at Brighton.

Your graphs show the size of the task in front of us and emphasise the need for consistency, rather than sporadic highs and lows.

Our teams on and off the pitch have got us moving forwards from a very difficult start - great performances against Spuds and City mean nothing. Grinding out points like today is how we can survive.

Your comparison with Basset 91/92 shows that we can still turn this season around into another really good one.

A lot of people seem to expect too much too soon, probably a trend today. Keep giving us our dose of reality.

A point away to a side in Europe, after going a goal down. Off the bottom and rising. Yes please. No decent shots on target either. Next game - Anel back in the middle, George at RWB, Oli McB up front - with 2 weeks before that Bournemouth match to get properly fit. Let’s Go!

Graph 1
is the plot that compares our progress against our last 2 Prem seasons and against my benchmark results to achieve survival. I’ve tweaked my survival comparison slightly. In the 20-team Prem League history 35 points would have kept you up in 50% of the seasons – so my main survival line is a set of results to get 35 points. I’ve included a highest (43) and lowest (29) set of results to show the spread that has been possible for survival over the 28 seasons.

Our red line has now moved up to just 3 points below the minimum possible survival line and just 4 points behind the 50% survival chance line. Real progress. We’re already 4 points clear of Wilder’s 20/21 season.

Graph 1:
View attachment 174525

Graph 2
plots our progress against the best seasons from each of the previous 4 periods that I have watched the Blades in the top flight. The early seasons have been modified to account for 3 point wins and 20 teams. I have used the actual results against the top 19 teams in each of those years. We’re now only 3 points behind Bassett’s best season in 91/92, which ended with us finishing 9th.

Graph 2:
View attachment 174526

Finally the League Table (I didn’t wait for the City-Chelsea result!) – and off the bottom we go. Bournemouth beating Eddie’s new boys was a bit of a blow, but a result against them in 2 weeks and we’re right back in touch, 12 point deduction for the "Can’t Play For Toffees" and Fulham sliding back and it’s really game on.

League Table:
View attachment 174527

2 weeks to get fit, and then we go Cherry Picking!!

UTB & Slava Ukraini
Lovely stuff as per.

Back
Top Bottom