Marvin Johnson stick or twist for next season

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

At fault for at the very least the winning goal, ran the ball 30 yards backwards towards his own goal to give away a corner and spooned an attempted cross up onto his own head but yeah, any criticising is just scapegoating.

Everyone makes mistakes but after seeing the highlights, you can't help get infuriated at his apathy after their second and third goal knowing he was largely responsible.

As people have said already he's not good enough either defensively or in attack. Good example today. Some half arsed defending and awful crossing in good positions. Sometimes players are singled out unfairly whilst on this occasion I wouldn't feel sad if he didn't play for us again.

There have been worse players play for us, but few have made so many bad on field decisions as Johnson does.

An odd substitution to say the least.

If you're switching to 4-4-2, Stearman's the player to bring on.

Johnson was poor and had a big effect on the result but not the performance over 96 min which continued our run of games with poor possession and creativity. He makes a good scapegoat but our midfield is simply not getting close to its previous best performance levels and we have lacked the understanding from a consistent team in that area.

So far, he hasn't shown enough quality to suggest that we should make a move to keep him.

On yesterdays showing, he looked nervous. He was hesitant on the ball and made some daft, basic errors.

Kev Gage picked up that he wasn't attacking the ball and having a go, if anything he was scared and i don't see that he has the character to step up when we need him to. Unlike the rest of the squad.

At least at West Brom he got involved, yesterday he didn't really seem to want to. Not to say that he was trying to hide, but i don't think he was asserting himself

If we’re having a moan, the first goal wasn’t Henderson’s finest moment either. Looped over him in slow motion.

My old school teacher used to say should never concede three goals at home. He even said it against Northampton! What annoys me is when there’s a free kick he stands in such a terrible position it just leaves a massive gap at one side of the goal. Just got away with it yesterday when they hit the post and he was stood there starring at it. He’s a good keeper but still has lots to learn.

My old school teacher used to say should never concede three goals at home. He even said it against Northampton! What annoys me is when there’s a free kick he stands in such a terrible position it just leaves a massive gap at one side of the goal. Just got away with it yesterday when they hit the post and he was stood there starring at it. He’s a good keeper but still has lots to learn.

He looked very hesitant on two occasions before that as well, in the first half. Stevens shepherding the ball back towards him and expecting him to come out and get it, but he didn't - and that happened twice - forcing us into last minute clearances. Most unlike him tbh. Yes I think he's a very good keeper too but agree with you that his positioning leaves a bit to be desired at times - especially when defending free kicks. He left himself no chance of getting to that free kick yesterday and that's a very basic error in my view. A goalie should position himself so that he can cover the whole of his goal in one movement. He doesn't for some reason. Whether he's trying to tempt them to shoot to one side I don't know, but it's hardly working well!

I think I’d fold my hand on that one , he’s more temperamental than the wife going through the change !

I wonder if Boro have a Roy, who does a view from Sheff United fans on Marvin Johnson? That would be a comedy gold read from their point of view. :)

Why does your centre half need to be left footed?
To open up the pitch and provide balance to attack more naturally down both sides.
Think you need to edit your post to ask why do Wilder's centre halves..., seen as he clearly agrees.

Tbf, having watched the third goal again, I'm going let some Johnson hate stand. Not a left back. Ever.

If we get promotion, we'll get rid and look for better. If we stay in this division, I doubt we'd pay his wages (and so far, I'm afraid he hasn't really looked top draw).

I agree with the poster about our midfield yesterday, though. It wasn't really at it and got dominated at times.

To open up the pitch and provide balance to attack more naturally down both sides.
Think you need to edit your post to ask why do Wilder's centre halves..., seen as he clearly agrees.

Tbf, having watched the third goal again, I'm going let some Johnson hate stand. Not a left back. Ever.
The third goal is what tipped me over the edge.

IF that was his man for the second I can forgive it. He’d just come on, new system ETC

That third? Can’t let that slide sorry. That was absolutely pathetic ‘defending’ and it’s undone all the hard work at Elland Road. It hurts.

We got some good results with Stevens at centre half and Johnson outside of him at LWB. There was no reason for Wilder to risk Jack O’Connell aggravating something for the rest of the season by leaving him on.

He could, as some have suggested, put Cranie in there and this would have shored us up defensively. But, we would have lost out a bit in attack and he wanted to go for the 3 points.

The substitution was fine for me.

That Marvin Johnson then was poor for both of Bristol’s goals was not really Wilder’s fault.

I do like Marvin Johnson and he’s actually shown us that he can play a bit on a couple of occasions. But he has made some pretty costly errors for us now and he doesn’t seem to have much footballing intelligence. I think, regardless of whatever division we’re in next season, at present - you would have to say “twist” on Marv. Fair play to him if he bounces back and changes our minds though. I do think he’s capable.

Gary Madine’s mistake against Brentford has been very costly. I don’t think we’d have lost yesterday with him available to change things up. Likewise, if we go away to Preston and have no out ball and the ball keeps coming back to us and we drop points - we could reasonably point the finger at the Madine red card as being another monumental turning point.

With Dowell and Hogan also not playing brilliantly at the moment, you’d have to say our loan players (Henderson aside) are letting the side down a bit.

I don't usually single out players for criticism, because football is a team game and we were under the cosh for most of the game, however, Johnson was pretty rubbish for the last two goals, and the bizarre incident where he ran the ball along the touch line and it ended up going over the line and giving away a corner, mind boggling.

The whole team were poor yesterday, nowhere near our usual standards, but Johnson was poorer still.

He looks to me like a player who has lost all his confidence, seems confused at the task he is asked to perform, has pace but only one or two shots on goal in his time here, from memory.

I doubt that we would make an offer for him, if we end up in the Championship again next season.

He’s a winger he’s a winger

He looks crap at left back cause he’s a winger

He’d look a lot better on the wing cause he’s a winger

I agree with Grappler. ^^^^^^^^^

Johnstone looked and acted like a "rabbit in the headlights" when he came on. He didn't seem to have a clue about positioning, or his job for the corner after he kicked the ball over the line trying a pass. A complete miss kick!

I am afraid Wilder made a terrible mistake not bringing Cranie on for JOC. Bad decision.

There we are....................

HH

He’s a winger he’s a winger

He looks crap at left back cause he’s a winger

He’d look a lot better on the wing cause he’s a winger
He’s not got any qualities id want of a winger in this division.

He can’t even cross.

He’s not got any qualities id want of a winger in this division.

He can’t even cross.

He can beat a man I think he’s a decent attacker but he’s awful at defending

Wilder has cost us yesterday and the match against Rotherham earlier

Buck stops with wilder god knows why he brought him on

We got some good results with Stevens at centre half and Johnson outside of him at LWB. There was no reason for Wilder to risk Jack O’Connell aggravating something for the rest of the season by leaving him on.

He could, as some have suggested, put Cranie in there and this would have shored us up defensively. But, we would have lost out a bit in attack and he wanted to go for the 3 points.

The substitution was fine for me.

That Marvin Johnson then was poor for both of Bristol’s goals was not really Wilder’s fault.

I do like Marvin Johnson and he’s actually shown us that he can play a bit on a couple of occasions. But he has made some pretty costly errors for us now and he doesn’t seem to have much footballing intelligence. I think, regardless of whatever division we’re in next season, at present - you would have to say “twist” on Marv. Fair play to him if he bounces back and changes our minds though. I do think he’s capable.

Gary Madine’s mistake against Brentford has been very costly. I don’t think we’d have lost yesterday with him available to change things up. Likewise, if we go away to Preston and have no out ball and the ball keeps coming back to us and we drop points - we could reasonably point the finger at the Madine red card as being another monumental turning point.

With Dowell and Hogan also not playing brilliantly at the moment, you’d have to say our loan players (Henderson aside) are letting the side down a bit.

Results? Result. WBA is the only game in which I can remember Johnson having played a significant positive role.

We were 2-1 up when JOC came off, we weren’t chasing the game. We’d miracously got back into it against the run of play, and it was vital that we didn’t do anything to jepodise it. We should’ve (in my both humble & limited view) brought Crainie on, brought Washington on for Sharp and kept the same fucking formation. Having the effect of keeping things solid at the back and bringing fresh legs and mobility in defence & up front.

Crainie has shown in recent games to fit the system, and Billy had run his race by that point. We had just 14 minutes to see out. 14 minutes and we fucked it up. To concede once could be seen as unfortunate, to concede twice appears careless.

We could’ve just hit channels for that time, but oh no. “Hold my Peroni, Alan. Put your top back on Martin. I’m about to torpedo the season”.

But then again, I’m neither the championship manager of the year, nor the Agnus Dei. After saturday’s foul up, at least CW will have a chance of retaining his award next season.

Last edited:
Twist, but overall the defending was terrible for all three goals, if we had played to our usual standards that game ends 2. 0 at a push 2.1 to us.

We can't complain too much with our points tally, but there's really no reason we couldn't have had plenty more. Many of the points we have dropped have been so utterly avoidable, and Wilder's mistakes so avoidable and unnecessary. The Johnson sub is a top example. For a manager of his undoubted ability to make errors that should be beneath him is extremely frustrating. He seems to have a self destruct mode loitering somewhere inside.

If a club as financially disadvantaged as us is to get automatic promotion, we have to minimise the careless throwaways to have any chance. We can't afford another one this season. We've probably already done it too many times.

Back
Top Bottom