Mark Yeates [Confirmed]

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

With him playing right midfield at Boro and on the left at Colchester where do you think Blackie will deploy him?

I'm going for the left in place of Quinn (harsh given his last match performance).

Another more technical signing to go with Blackies other this year. Evans, Williamson, Harper, Camara, and now Yeates. If we go back to launching it long for Hendo I will really be struggling to understand what is going on in Blackies head.
Walker, Seip, Morgan, Taylor, Ward, Harper, Willo, Yeates, Evans, Hendo is certainly one of the most technical team we've had at the Lane since Spackman.
Given Blackwells fetish for playing players out of position, I would expect that he will replace Killa at centre-half. :)
UTB

I applaud this signing. We replace the hugely overrated Cotterill with a proper goal-scoring winger [check his career record] and make a profit.

Other than his second spell at Colchester, his goalscoring record is very poor! Of course, I could be using bad figures...

He's scored 27 to date with power to add. Cotterill will not get that many in his entire career.

He's scored 27 to date with power to add. Cotterill will not get that many in his entire career.

Yeates - 188 appearances (28 as sub) - 29 goals. Age 25
Cotterill - 155 appearances (49 as sub) - 18 goals. Age 22

Doesn't seem to me a great deal between the 2 when 'stats' are compared.

Yeates - 188 appearances (28 as sub) - 29 goals. Age 25
Cotterill - 155 appearances (49 as sub) - 18 goals. Age 22

Doesn't seem to me a great deal between the 2 when 'stats' are compared.

By that reckoning, I know its sad but ive done the maths on these stats;

- Mark Yeates averages a goal every 7.45 games (rounded to 2 dec places)
- David Cotterill averages a goal every 11.33 games (rounded to 2 dec places)

We have to remember a few of Cotterill's have been penalties as well. Would be interesting to see the assist stats as well. Yeates seems to put himself about more than Cotterill so will probably win the ball more often and create more openings for others.

Thought this would be another talking point......

- Mark Yeates averages a goal every 7.45 games (rounded to 2 dec places)
- David Cotterill averages a goal every 11.33 games (rounded to 2 dec places)

When you take in to account all the appearances yes, but Cotts has been used as a sub more often, I'd also hazard a guess he has been brought off more often too (basing this on Blackwell)

Based on starts

Mark Yeates - one in 6.48 games
David Cotterill - one in 5.88 games

Mark Yeates - 17 of his 27 league goals were at a league one level, with ten being in the Championship.
David Cotterill - 7 of his 15 league goals were at a league one level. With 6 being at Championship level and one in the PL.

Yes Cotts has scored most of his goals from the spot. Can't comment where majority of Yeates goals have come from.

Yeates has only ever done a 'good' job for Colchester (mainly in League One).
Cotterill has done a 'good' job for both the Blades and Bristol (League one)

Both are quick players who like to get the ball in the box.
Both can play on either wing.
Both cost moderate transfer fees.

Do you see my point to all of the above?

Blackwell, on the O/S today, doesn't mince his words about Cotterill:

"David Cotterill's permanent exit to Swansea enabled the United boss to generate funds for Yeates' arrival and he explained that, having brought Cotterill in originally, the move had not been the success he had hoped for:

"I didn't feel that 'Cotts' gave us enough quality often enough and, hopefully, Mark will fit that bill. He works up and down the flank with a tremendous ethic that fits in with the ethos of this football club, and he weighs in with goals - his ratio at Colchester was very good.

"We knew the transfer window was coming up and Swansea made an enquiry so we decided to move him on. ' Cotts' - on his day - was exciting but he didn't give me enough of those so we cashed the money in and got somebody else who may provide more consistently."

"I didn't feel that 'Cotts' gave us enough quality often enough and, hopefully, Mark will fit that bill.

Let's hope so.

Mind you, Kev, it'll probably help if you give this one more than one start every 7 or 8 games. Not slagging him off in the press may also help.

You know, I really didn't think performing well regularly was a criterion for a place in a Blackwell team.

When you take in to account all the appearances yes, but Cotts has been used as a sub more often, I'd also hazard a guess he has been brought off more often too (basing this on Blackwell)

Based on starts

Mark Yeates - one in 6.48 games
David Cotterill - one in 5.88 games

Mark Yeates - 17 of his 27 league goals were at a league one level, with ten being in the Championship.
David Cotterill - 7 of his 15 league goals were at a league one level. With 6 being at Championship level and one in the PL.

Yes Cotts has scored most of his goals from the spot. Can't comment where majority of Yeates goals have come from.

Yeates has only ever done a 'good' job for Colchester (mainly in League One).
Cotterill has done a 'good' job for both the Blades and Bristol (League one)

Both are quick players who like to get the ball in the box.
Both can play on either wing.
Both cost moderate transfer fees.

Do you see my point to all of the above?

Yeh I see your point. The only thing I disagree with is the idea that he did well for the Blades. He was massively under par for United and despite what some people say, he was given at least two opportunities to nail down a starting place with a run in the side. On both occasions he started well and then faded dramatically. He was also a wuss when it came to tackling.

I expected a lot from him when we signed him permanently but he was horribly underwhelming. I blame KB in part for not playing him at the start of the 08/09 season. He left him on the bench for ages which probably drained his confidence. He needs to learn to put himself about a bit though, or he will never live up to his potential.

Mind you, Kev, it'll probably help if you give this one more than one start every 7 or 8 games. Not slagging him off in the press may also help.

Fair point, but its not just the games that Blackwell sees :)

Yeh I see your point. The only thing I disagree with is the idea that he did well for the Blades. He was massively under par for United and despite what some people say, he was given at least two opportunities to nail down a starting place with a run in the side. On both occasions he started well and then faded dramatically. He was also a wuss when it came to tackling.

I expected a lot from him when we signed him permanently but he was horribly underwhelming. I blame KB in part for not playing him at the start of the 08/09 season. He left him on the bench for ages which probably drained his confidence. He needs to learn to put himself about a bit though, or he will never live up to his potential.

I'd say that on the 2 occasions he was given a good run in the team (the back end of the last 2 seasons) he has performed as we would all expect. Other times he has been rather hit and miss. More so miss.

It also appears, when he put in a good performance, the results generally started to flow too.

I agree about him being a pussy going into challenges (or lack of going into them), but sadly this seems to be a running theme for the majority of wingers.

To be honest, I thought Cotts was a waste of space when he first joined and didn't see the point in the signing, but he is one who has actually made me eat my words on occasions. For me, we shouldn't have sold him. But we have.... we move on - and I think we now have a smiliar player in.

Back
Top Bottom