Marcus Rashford

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Should we give the school kids something to eat? Yes. It’s hardly a debate. Well done Marcus.
spot on .Can not believe people could object .It would do a lot on here good to have to go through it .Unfortunately the way things are going families who have had a good carry on up till now may well get dragged in to the same situation as these desperate people. Marcus well done mate .

This is not political , my take. Foodbanks have been around 20 years. My childhood was early 60s and no foodbanks then , the only foodbanks where your neighbours. Next doors had 4 kids and my mam and dad fed them every morning along with my family as my mam would say " I can't see them going to school hungry". My mam would always tell the parents off simply because they always had cigarettes but a empty pantry. Again not political but how it was next door
At work for the last 5 years 53 employees donate £530 to Rotherham Foodbanks for Christmas which is a small van load. I volunteer to take it down and believe me there is a huge cross mix of people waiting all requiring help not just as heard "Neh do wells" Again not political but since time immorial children have gone hungry and probably always will but how can anyone turn a blind eye to a child with a rumbling belly. Well done to anyone who puts just a tin in their baskets.

Mate they chucked loads of taxpayers money about so nouveau riche twats like me could “Eat Out to Help Out” on the cheap, yet they need to watch the pennies when giving hungry, poor kids some snap.

Gi or na.

Just because the government have wasted money on countless initiatives over the years doesn’t mean we should just pass every single policy which is a better one.

I just think if kids are going hungry, we shouldn’t be introducing new systems to solve the problem when we’ve already got benefit systems in place which should provide enough to feed kids.

If universal credit and child benefit leaves parents short of money and forced to decide whether to pay the gas bill or feed their kids, then let’s review and improve that system. Don’t bring in new systems which will no doubt be inefficient and waste more tax payer money.

This is not political , my take. Foodbanks have been around 20 years. My childhood was early 60s and no foodbanks then , the only foodbanks where your neighbours. Next doors had 4 kids and my mam and dad fed them every morning along with my family as my mam would say " I can't see them going to school hungry". My mam would always tell the parents off simply because they always had cigarettes but a empty pantry. Again not political but how it was next door
At work for the last 5 years 53 employees donate £530 to Rotherham Foodbanks for Christmas which is a small van load. I volunteer to take it down and believe me there is a huge cross mix of people waiting all requiring help not just as heard "Neh do wells" Again not political but since time immorial children have gone hungry and probably always will but how can anyone turn a blind eye to a child with a rumbling belly. Well done to anyone who puts just a tin in their baskets.

Fair play to you pal. 👍 UTB

Mate they chucked loads of taxpayers money about so nouveau riche twats like me could “Eat Out to Help Out” on the cheap, yet they need to watch the pennies when giving hungry, poor kids some snap.

Gi or na.
The EOTHO scheme, probably saved a few jobs too. The kind of jobs that are made up of low skilled female workers, who got paid and had money coming into the family home. Things are a lot more complex. It wasn’t just so rich people could eat cheaper!

Just because the government have wasted money on countless initiatives over the years doesn’t mean we should just pass every single policy which is a better one.

I just think if kids are going hungry, we shouldn’t be introducing new systems to solve the problem when we’ve already got benefit systems in place which should provide enough to feed kids.

If universal credit and child benefit leaves parents short of money and forced to decide whether to pay the gas bill or feed their kids, then let’s review and improve that system. Don’t bring in new systems which will no doubt be inefficient and waste more tax payer money.
All fine points. But it's not happening now. I don't agree that we should let kids go hungry now to maybe put some policies in place that would at the very least need 6 months just to embed new staff.

The investment and improvement needs to happen as well, not instead of. It's a Pandemic and it's winter. It needs to be now

To the people saying "I've seen parents buying booze" "parents are to blame here" "they shouldn't be having kids" "it's not my job to pay for lazy parents" "It's not that bad, I've been skint" etc etc etc

Go and spend some time actually looking into the situations of some of these children. It's not the ones that turn up for school every day but you can see are poor. It's the levels below that. The kids with parents with mental health issues, drug/alcohol abuse issues, domestic violence problems, parents who are unable to work due to health problems (often stemming from an upbringing in poverty themselves) and those kids who are faced with true and utter neglect. They are living in places that have no heating, water or even electricity sometimes. They are being asked to care for younger siblings.

This country is broken in a lot of ways. But to take the stance that children in impossible situations shouldn't be helped is beyond my understanding.

The free meals would just be a plaster over a broken system that needs review, funding and to be given so much more attention than it gets. Just providing each area of the country with a couple of admin staff would allow social workers to get out to see the most vulnerable children more often. To try and pick up on those in such bad situations they need to go into care earlier and to generally give these children a chance at a life beyond misery.

When the horrible child abuse case came up in Rotherham, the social services team there were given loads more resources for everything. Now that's out of people's minds, all those resources have been taken away again and it's back to amazing people trying desperately to hold together a system that neglects far too many people who need it.

There needs to be massive reform but before that there needs to be a realisation that it's not fair in a society like ours to just ignore a problem like this
Cheers Carlton, I've worked in children's social care for over 30 years and you've got it dead right! Thanks for your support and understanding of social workers!! Up the Blades (and Marcus Rashford!).

Cheers Carlton, I've worked in children's social care for over 30 years and you've got it dead right! Thanks for your support and understanding of social workers!! Up the Blades (and Marcus Rashford!).
I don't know how Social Workers do it. I've seen a bit of it from personal stuff and I know I couldn't handle it.

Amazing job 👍

The problem is that single teen girls who want a council house and some money get them selves pregnant and then expect society to pay for them , i know of one girl who has never worked , never given anything to society , and has 4 kids , never married , 2 different fathers , and the kids are fed , housed , schooled by the state , all on benefits . Like Michael Jackson once sung , If you cant feed the baby then don't a have the baby !
So let's make the kids suffer for the "crimes" of the mother?

I am not sure if this is a joke or not but there was actually a pupil premium (I.e. free school meals) child at my last school who used to get dropped off in a BMW SUV every morning. Obviously this is an extreme example but practically every child I teach has a smartphone. I contrast this with my own childhood where we never had a car, telephone or VHS, or that of my nannan, who used to go all week without sugar in her tea so that she could make a cake for her kids at the weekend.
Pupil Premium isn't for free school meals. It's a payment made to schools to provide additional support for children in care to help them to catch up their school work. Children in care don't get free school meals.

Pupil Premium isn't for free school meals. It's a payment made to schools to provide additional support for children in care to help them to catch up their school work. Children in care don't get free school meals.
True. Free school meals and pupil premium are different things, but pupil premium funding is given to pupils who are in receipt of free school meals. They can also receive it if they are in contact with a social worker or are acting as a carer.

The problem is that single teen girls who want a council house and some money get them selves pregnant and then expect society to pay for them , i know of one girl who has never worked , never given anything to society , and has 4 kids , never married , 2 different fathers , and the kids are fed , housed , schooled by the state , all on benefits . Like Michael Jackson once sung , If you cant feed the baby then don't a have the baby !
I don't think that is the problem at all, not everyone on benefits are teenage girls getting pregnant for a council house.

Plus if that is the case should the children starve?

True. Free school meals and pupil premium are different things, but pupil premium funding is given to pupils who are in receipt of free school meals. They can also receive it if they are in contact with a social worker or are acting as a carer.
Fair enough!

Total respect to Rashford a pox on the Tories for down voting it though 1st time, I can remember getting free school meals in 60's but there was a stigma to it, the free dinners always came in canteen when every other bugger served stood out like sore thumbs.

When I worked in Nottingham City, Social Workers were massively overworked. Case loads were significantly higher than they should have been, even the workers from Y.O.T were taking on double caseloads.
It wasn't unusual to have kids come in on a Monday who had had little to eat over a weekend.
We had a parent who was an alcoholic. She appeared on Jeremy Kyle along with her daughter's. The tag was 'Why do you drink?' Damaged kids due to mental health problems, perpetuating problems for parent due to bad behaviour in school and community.

For a brief period in the 70s, I was eligible for school meals but my parents wouldn't let me have them for the reason you suggest. I also remember the dreaded YPO parkas for the same reason. These days nearly all schools use cashless catering so nobody knows whether your account is topped up by your parents or the state.

Well done to all involved. Not a fix but definitely a help

As you say, a good result. Kudos to Rashford for fronting this. But isn’t it typical that the government tries to obfuscate another U-turn by trying to sneak this out on a weekend when attention is focused on America and Biden? They could have held their hands up ten days ago, admitted they were wrong, and done the decent thing then.

Its the right outcome, finally - but the way they go about it makes me sick.

Reactions: SLB

Back
Top Bottom