Pre-season 18/19 Mansfield Town v. Sheffield United - 21/07/2018

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Thoughts on Ricky Holmes anyone that went?

I have to say I’ve been more disappointed with him so far than any new signing since Hammond. So much promise and he just doesn’t seem to want to do the things he’s good at.
Was quite lively.

Typical preseason game in truth. They looked more up for it than us which I guess makes some sense

Quite clear we need more striking options from that showing at least

Quote . "I wont let standards drop"...........................but they dropped today was it a shock 0-0 win,did i hear Wilder say Mansfiled should have won.

A couple of years ago I think we got stuffed at Halifax in a pre season friendly and were awful.

We won the league that season and got 100 points. Yep, it's time to panic.

How did Mcgoldrick do?
And we were far worse that evening than we were today. He did ok. One of the better players first half and unlucky not to score. Was excellent at Bradford. I’d be surprised if we don’t sign him up

Thoughts on Ricky Holmes anyone that went?

I have to say I’ve been more disappointed with him so far than any new signing since Hammond. So much promise and he just doesn’t seem to want to do the things he’s good at.
He was pretty average like the rest of them. Did ok at Bradford and was the stand out player second half at Stocksbridge. At least he’s not hiding and wants the ball. Needs a run in the team. Doubt he will get it at the minute though

I found a great pub in Mansfield. So, the Blog was going to concentrate on that & a superb keg IPA from Aberdeen. But, as usual, I started telling a simple story from Utd's Academy (yawn, yawn...) - and I let the Blog run away from me. You know the one - United selling a Youngster for one million, he went on to play in a Champions League match - as a sub on 90+2. "For a laugh" he let off a Bomb at training. That episode essentially ended with him & his girlfriend being nicked in A&E after the Coppers had to kick the door in at their Luxury Apartment in Surrey. That youngster played today against us.....
You've heard about Maguire & Walker at the World Cup - but, you've not heard that? Where. Have. You. Been?
You'd better have a click Pal...

http://ball-sup.blogspot.com/2018/07/the-ballad-of-jacob.html

Very dull game. Highlight for me was watching Henderson in the warm up (we were in the ground just after 2). He pulled off some sensational saves.

Question for the tactical gurus. What's the thinking behind the goalkicks where 2 defenders pull wide for an almost square pass, one drops right to the edge of the box and the 'keeper still tries to pass to them even if they're marked? We did it in the first 30 minutes and it gave me horrible flashbacks to Gillingham away under Adkins.

From McCabe's mouth, it was 400k for Mellis.

What about Henderson? All I have heard all pre-season is how small is he?

DOes he give everyone confidence from the games they have seen him play? He appears very confident.

Question for the tactical gurus. What's the thinking behind the goalkicks where 2 defenders pull wide for an almost square pass, one drops right to the edge of the box and the 'keeper still tries to pass to them even if they're marked? We did it in the first 30 minutes and it gave me horrible flashbacks to Gillingham away under Adkins.
Memories of Weir...:mad:

What about Henderson? All I have heard all pre-season is how small is he?

DOes he give everyone confidence from the games they have seen him play? He appears very confident.

Tell you what, if he doesn't make up his mind quicker about where he's distributing the ball to no-one will notice the rest of his game as it's f***ing infuriating. I swear he changed his mind about 8 times on one occasion today. Has he been on loan to Norwich?

It's probably a good thing we were poor today. Wilder will have given the players what could be a valuable reminder and wake up call, and hopefully at least a good semi bollocking.

It might simply have been down to them wanting to be fit and fresh for Tuesday though.

I don't mind United having a fairly poor performance in pre-season if I'm honest. It often helps concentrate minds more on the bigger picture and reminds people I.e. management and players, that there is improvement needed and much work to be done for the big kick off. It also helps identify a few little potential issues.

Trick is to learn from it and make it a valuable performance in that it makes us better.

I wouldn’t draw too many conclusions from this game. I thought we were a cut above - first half especially, they hardly got out of their own half. We moved it about well and had most of the posssession, as you might expect. McGoldrick came close - he linked up well. But it was one of those games where we didn’t have much on goal.

No one particularly impressed. Stearman made some good blocks and tackles. I thought Lundstram did ok when he came on. But it was an all round lackadaisical performance, I’m not surprised Wilder wasn’t appeh!

He expects more. He’ll get more. I’ve no doubt.

I found a great pub in Mansfield. So, the Blog was going to concentrate on that & a superb keg IPA from Aberdeen. But, as usual, I started telling a simple story from Utd's Academy (yawn, yawn...) - and I let the Blog run away from me. You know the one - United selling a Youngster for one million, he went on to play in a Champions League match - as a sub on 90+2. "For a laugh" he let off a Bomb at training. That episode essentially ended with him & his girlfriend being nicked in A&E after the Coppers had to kick the door in at their Luxury Apartment in Surrey. That youngster played today against us.....
You've heard about Maguire & Walker at the World Cup - but, you've not heard that? Where. Have. You. Been?
You'd better have a click Pal...

http://ball-sup.blogspot.com/2018/07/the-ballad-of-jacob.html

Almost choked on mi coffee when I read that one pal!

"...If Mellis had been with me, I’d have set fireworks off in honour of that beer...."

Back
Top Bottom