Outgoing? Man Utd poaching our youth?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Surely has to be revised regulation here.

If you take a club's academy manager or coach there needs to be a rule they cannot just pilfer those under them without reproach.

Must be a ban for say 12-24 months of players under or over a certain age group being approached during a period of grace.

Otherwise a club reeling from losing key infrastructure of the empowered staff then get a Mass exodus of players. Can't be right.

Surely has to be revised regulation here.
If you take a club's academy manager or coach there needs to be a rule they cannot just pilfer those under them without reproach.

Must be a ban for say 12-24 months of players under or over a certain age group being approached during a period of grace.

Otherwise a club reeling from losing key infrastructure of the empowered staff then get a Mass exodus of players. Can't be right.
EPPP is here to stay and we cannot take advantage of it unless our Academy is Category 1

No way we can compete with the financial muscle of the likes of MUFC, apart from potentially getting more first team exposure like Maguire, Lowton etc did.

CiFBaWkXAAUbzX9.jpg:large

Fucking hell! With that dress sense, get him sold ASAP!

The academy is proving its' "worth" again I see.

He'll end up being really shit. And Nick Cox'll get sacked for signing him.

Tis the way of the world and unfortunately money talks. Whilst i was a big advocate of the academy when it was first mooted, the landscape has changed to be too much in favour of the big boys and those with the cash. Often the big cash rich clubs just hoover up all the talented young lads in droves in the hope that 1 or 2 might just make it - just look at Man Utd or Chelsea's youth systems. Its getting to the point where sufc should probably give a lot of consideration to scaling back on investment in the academy and spending their cash on picking up the best of the discarded lads from the bigs boys table like we did with Brooks. How the current system helps young lads develop and keeps them enthused when instead of playing first team or U23 football they are lost in a pack of young gifted lads all on an equal footing im not quite sure. Its getting to the stage where i hope most lower league teams and some championship teams just think 'fuk this for a game of soldiers' and stop their youth teams. Perhaps then when the big lads havent got the same pond to steal from the powers thay be might think theyve dropped a bollock.

Then again perhaps not as they will be too busy counting their corrupt cash to give a shit.

Tis the way of the world and unfortunately money talks. Whilst i was a big advocate of the academy when it was first mooted, the landscape has changed to be too much in favour of the big boys and those with the cash. Often the big cash rich clubs just hoover up all the talented young lads in droves in the hope that 1 or 2 might just make it - just look at Man Utd or Chelsea's youth systems. Its getting to the point where sufc should probably give a lot of consideration to scaling back on investment in the academy and spending their cash on picking up the best of the discarded lads from the bigs boys table like we did with Brooks. How the current system helps young lads develop and keeps them enthused when instead of playing first team or U23 football they are lost in a pack of young gifted lads all on an equal footing im not quite sure. Its getting to the stage where i hope most lower league teams and some championship teams just think 'fuk this for a game of soldiers' and stop their youth teams. Perhaps then when the big lads havent got the same pond to steal from the powers thay be might think theyve dropped a bollock.

Then again perhaps not as they will be too busy counting their corrupt cash to give a shit.
Weasel that's exactly the approach Brentford are taking. They had one of the best academies in the south east but Bentham was sick of losing players at 15-16 to big clubs who had been at the club since age 9-10. He's closed the academy and operating youth teams at u17 or 18 and higher made up of discarded players from Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs etc academies.

If more clubs start doing this then English football will suffer. There has to be a proper compensation system for academy kids who move else why would you keep ploughing money in to essentially develop kids for other clubs gain ?

Weasel that's exactly the approach Brentford are taking. They had one of the best academies in the south east but Bentham was sick of losing players at 15-16 to big clubs who had been at the club since age 9-10. He's closed the academy and operating youth teams at u17 or 18 and higher made up of discarded players from Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs etc academies.

If more clubs start doing this then English football will suffer. There has to be a proper compensation system for academy kids who move else why would you keep ploughing money in to essentially develop kids for other clubs gain ?

The game wouldnt suffer at all . This is just more whinging from supporters who need to know their place .

You've got the Checkatosspots trophy haven't you ?

Can you shed some light on what eppp actually is??

In a nutshell, teams with a Category One academy can take the youth players from other academies for a small compensation payment - up to the day before said youth player signs a professional contract. They only have to give you around five grand for every year they have been at your academy.In theory, you could have the new Maradona on your hands and Man Utd etc can poach him the day before he signs pro. You would receive 30,000-50,000 for him. SUFC have Cat Two status for our academy which requires a lot of money to run compared to Cat three or amateur systems. The trend is to downgrade in the lower Leagues and upgrade in the higher Leagues.

I proposed this question to Mr McCabe and Mr Binnion at the meet the chairman night at BL last season:"In light of the damaging EPPP legislation (and the top teams pilfering our top young talent before they become a financial asset) how do you propose to keep the academy financially sustainable?" Man City and Man Utd had just taken around half a dozen of our top youngsters at the time, so it was topical. They agreed with my assertion that EPPP was set up to favour the big clubs and that it was injurious to us and all none Cat One clubs. They explained that the academy was adapting, and now becoming more of a finishing school for the top talent that doesn't make it elsewhere. To be fair, I believe we have seen evidence of this: Aaron Ramsdale (Bolton), Che Adams (Ilkeston Town), David Brooks (Man City), Horation Hirst (Oxford City), Kirmani Smith (Basford United), Ben Whiteman (Man Utd). Please add any I've omitted. We have also seen DCL graduate from the academy in the traditional way, and make the club a tidy sum.
On a wider note, they confirmed that the academy had been a profit making venture as of the end of last season. I also asked the question: "will the club look to upgrade the academy to Cat One when in the Championship". Mr McCabe said that the club would "seriously look into it".

Last edited:
He has made the breakthrough into the U18s this season.

Like the look of him, definitely got something on the few occasions I`ve seen him,(not had many starts)

Good size on him, 6 ft 2+, he`s got a good touch, and is good on the air, scored with a header last time out at Shirecliffe.
Disappointing if true, but that`s football, even if we were category 1, & Man Utd come calling, who`s going to turn that down?

He has made the breakthrough into the U18s this season.

Like the look of him, definitely got something on the few occasions I`ve seen him,(not had many starts)

Good size on him, 6 ft 2+, he`s got a good touch, and is good on the air, scored with a header last time out at Shirecliffe.
Disappointing if true, but that`s football, even if we were category 1, & Man Utd come calling, who`s going to turn that down?
Treeeton, that's exactly the point....Man U etc may as well disband their academies, let the other clubs do the work and bear the cost of developing kids from age 10-16 then choose the very best 16-18yr olds from these academies and pay peanuts for them.

They essentially become a finishing school for other clubs hard work. Why are cat 2 and 3 academy clubs going to accept that? The only way it's viable for them is if they develop first team players who they can then sell for a lot of money which funds the time and effort put into the 99 kids out of 100 they are coaching that don't make it. There has to be a way clubs can charge properly for talent they have developed otherwise more clubs will close their academies and adopt the 'let's take others cast offs at 16-18' approach.

To my mind its a case of the club deciding if and when they get back in the championship whether they want to uograde to ceteogory 1 academy, or mothball part of the academy and become more of a finishing school trying to pick up the best of the rest that have been discarded.

Personally i think it would be a real shame to choose the latter but it just pisses me off when the prem clubs can just let others do the hard work then dangle a carrot (hard cash) at the lads and their parents with the biggest potential.

I see nothing wrong in the lads and parents choosing the more lucrative option, but being seeing things from the perspective of sufc it makes sense to either protect your assets better or join the Brentford school of thinking. Lets hope we go for Cat 1 after promotion this season. Promotion cant come soon enough in many ways.

Like everything in the British game, the whole system is bent in favour of the Premier League.

There should be a rule stating that any club signing a youth player from a lower category academy, must pay a minimum transfer fee of £1M and that players originating club, should receive a lifetime 10% sell on clause in respect of any future transfers.

At least that way, there is some motivation for clubs to continue to run their academies and some financial acknowledgement of the significant part they have played in a players future career.

He trained my lad up at Shireclife and Dronfield when he was here, he seemed like a decent bloke the few times I spoke to him so tell him I don't want to change my mind on him and I won't if he stops taking our talent. :)

He doesn't leave until February so I hope he hasn't started taking our players yet :D

Luke is one of the most hard working people I've ever met. He's a big loss to our academy in my opinion and will be difficult to replace.

Links like this with Man U for Parkhouse are inevitable, but it's the players who are younger which are even easier to take. We have some excellent players in our age groups and the Cat 1 clubs are tracking them constantly. Man City especially are at alot of SDJSFL matches now.

He doesn't leave until February so I hope he hasn't started taking our players yet :D

Luke is one of the most hard working people I've ever met. He's a big loss to our academy in my opinion and will be difficult to replace.

Links like this with Man U for Parkhouse are inevitable, but it's the players who are younger which are even easier to take. We have some excellent players in our age groups and the Cat 1 clubs are tracking them constantly. Man City especially are at alot of SDJSFL matches now.
Indeed.

Man City have a development squad that play at Hillsborough College, my son's side played them the other year and lost 7-1 to them. We need to make that step up otherwise our best talent will be taken away every year.

Back
Top Bottom