Project europe...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Overthehills

Give Quiche A Chance....
Reaction score
When I think about our scouting networks away from the UK, I often think that we are a million miles behind the rest.

Prior the the last few years we haven't really ventured into the offshore markets often enough and I don't really understand why? The value is sooo much better than that closer to home.

I know he could well just be a 'one off' as such, but Ahmedhodzic is a steal for what we paid for him..... and if we are shopping with a limited budget, then surely a venture over sees to try and pick up a few like him would be worthwhile?

These are a few players that I like from around the continent, all of which I feel are available within an affordable bracket.

Flavien Tait - AM - Rennes ( £3-4m)

Definitely a united type player and an ideal option to sit behind a front two in midfield. He's everything that we have lacked in terms of midfield players breaking into the box and causing hassle. He plays with a directness that is similar to that of Jame Mcatee, but has a bit more age and experience about him.

Ricardo Gomes - STR - Partizan (£4.5m)

Goalscoring machine, albeit in the Serbian top flight. But he's got all the attributes and would link up very well with Ndiaye..... His pace and movement are blistering, never mind his control of the ball... Defo the tyoe of exciting, bum of seat football that we love at the lane.

Philipp Max - LB - PSV (£5-6m)

Theres no shortage of calls for a left back to come into the club and this one I feel ticks a good few boxes. He's an athletic box to box player, more than capable of playing in our current system.....He's forever beating his man and hitting the byline, but his crossing is a different class as well.

Tait would suit us very well

Was wondering about Max yesterday watching the German cup final but it appears he is making his move to Frankfurt permanent this summer

Guirassy from Stuttgart is probably my best shout for a CF, if they go down. Would score 1 in 3 in the PL

Prior the the last few years we haven't really ventured into the offshore markets often enough and I don't really understand why? The value is sooo much better than that closer to home.

That is because Wilder (and Clough before him) wouldnt entertain the idea of overseas players in their squad
a blinkered attitude that cost us both in League position and our bank balance

Totally agree there is much better value in the overseas market

Some great players in Europe who we could get if we tried

Leao the young Portuguese winger at AC Milan is one we should be looking at IMO for a decent fee

GERIMIN PAUL

Top player and an absoloutely Sick montage compilation

Leao the young Portuguese winger at AC Milan is one we should be looking at IMO for a decent fee

GERIMIN PAUL

Whilst I agree Leao is a good player, how would you go about convincing him to leave little old AC Milan to sign for newly promoted Sheffield United?

GERIMIN PAUL

This is the closest one of your posts has ever got to getting a proper WUM’d reaction out of me. Commendable shitpost. 🤣⚔️ However, Leao is a footballing demon and wherever he goes next will be extremely lucky to have him.

What about Man City’s clubs in Europe, they are bound to have some good players and cheaper

We've done well with a majority homegrown squad these last few years, and I don't care if people call me a gammon or accuse me of having a ulterior motive for suggesting we continue focusing on good domestic talent.

This isn't to say there isn't untapped potential on the continent because there obviously is, but if we're as skint as people are saying there's not really much choice to begin with.

We've done well with a majority homegrown squad these last few years, and I don't care if people call me a gammon or accuse me of having a ulterior motive for suggesting we continue focusing on good domestic talent.

This isn't to say there isn't untapped potential on the continent because there obviously is, but if we're as skint as people are saying there's not really much choice to begin with.
More foreign signings in the short term is probably the best route to be able to field a team full of domestic players long term

More foreign signings in the short term is probably the best route to be able to field a team full of domestic players long term
Exactly...best post of the year. Can the rest of you get on board and stop suggesting championship players that will not be cheap

When I think about our scouting networks away from the UK, I often think that we are a million miles behind the rest.

I know he could well just be a 'one off' as such, but Ahmedhodzic is a steal for what we paid for him..... and if we are shopping with a limited budget, then surely a venture over sees to try and pick up a few like him would be worthwhile?

These are a few players that I like from around the continent, all of which I feel are available within an affordable bracket.

Flavien Tait - AM - Rennes ( £3-4m)

Definitely a united type player and an ideal option to sit behind a front two in midfield. He's everything that we have lacked in terms of midfield players breaking into the box and causing hassle. He plays with a directness that is similar to that of Jame Mcatee, but has a bit more age and experience about him.

Ricardo Gomes - STR - Partizan (£4.5m)

Goalscoring machine, albeit in the Serbian top flight. But he's got all the attributes and would link up very well with Ndiaye..... His pace and movement are blistering, never mind his control of the ball... Defo the tyoe of exciting, bum of seat football that we love at the lane.

Philipp Max - LB - PSV (£5-6m)

Theres no shortage of calls for a left back to come into the club and this one I feel ticks a good few boxes. He's an athletic box to box player, more than capable of playing in our current system.....He's forever beating his man and hitting the byline, but his crossing is a different class as well.

If you are aware of them why wouldn’t United be aware ? The source of finding Anel is hopefully still functioning.

The point is good domestic talent costs significantly more in fees & wages than similar or better players from overseas. If we continue to ignore that given that we aren’t wealthy in PL terms & need to make every penny count then we are stupid.

The point is good domestic talent costs significantly more in fees & wages than similar or better players from overseas. If we continue to ignore that given that we aren’t wealthy in PL terms & need to make every penny count then we are stupid.
I agree but we also have to factor in the time it takes for many overseas players to settle and get use to the pace and intensity of the Premier league. Ie Berge. You only have to look at some that Chelsea paid a fortune for last summer.

I don't think signing 5 players all from abroad would be wise but I'm sure Hecky and Co will know what they are doing.

I agree but we also have to factor in the time it takes for many overseas players to settle and get use to the pace and intensity of the Premier league. Ie Berge. You only have to look at some that Chelsea paid a fortune for last summer.

I don't think signing 5 players all from abroad would be wise but I'm sure Hecky and Co will know what they are doing.
This is true, but also true of young British players who haven’t previously played in the PL as we saw with the 2 from Man City last season.

Great post.

The present strategy seems to be younger players who we can develop and sell on, or who would be good in the Championship.

This strategy fast-tracks all that. We get experienced overseas players ready to step up, and who fit into our budget and business model.

A number will have sell on value afterwards.

Think Brighton.

Great shout, and with United world, surely something we should be looking to do a lot more of.

Downside to the top European leagues even the top 6 clubs have players with incredible loyalty to the team and a massive buyout clause, sometimes unjustified. If we hit the right markets there are alot of gems, Sweden/Denmark/Norway/Greece and alot of other more random leagues. The major problem is it does need a decent scouting network. I would like a propose a signing on bonus if we recommend a player on this forum and they are signed we get refunded our season ticket money! Scouting network problem sorted

The idea of the whole United world thing is we will have scouts in France, Belgium and surrounding leagues scouting naturally. Any talents they find not right for them but maybe us gets passed up the chain in theory

impressive post OVERTHEHILLS, seriously.
Send it to Mitchell

I pointed this issue out 6 years ago, nice to see the club finally cotton on to it!

The problem with signing foreign players is that we have no scouting network outside of the UK, unless we can piggy back on the United World one. Whereas, almost all our competitors for the same players do.

The problem with signing foreign players is that we have no scouting network outside of the UK, unless we can piggy back on the United World one. Whereas, almost all our competitors for the same players do.
That's literally what United world is for

Back
Top Bottom