November 2019 - the zenith

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Swannyblade

Reaction score
For me, this is when we peaked as a club in the modern era.

The performances during this month were outstanding. It started with a battering of Burnley, a game that was supposed to be a real test of our credentials. We out-footballed Spurs away from home and were desperately unlucky not to come home with all 3 points. One of the finest displays I've seen from a United team. We finished the month by showing real heart to rescue a point against Man Utd after looking like we'd thrown away all our good work.

Our performances during this period were fearless, confident (bordering on arrogant), we had full belief in our own abilities and tactics. The team was incredibly well-drilled and each player new their role inside out. Opposition fans and pundits both admired and respected us. More than that, we were bloody fun to watch and the passing and movement was almost dizzying at times.

Does anyone think we'll ever reach these heights again or was it a once in a lifetime period for Blades fans?

That truly was the best football played by any Blades team in any era during my 50+ years.

However it had taken 3 years to build that squad with many tweaks and upgrades along the way.

People criticizing Wilder/Knill now is utterly ridiculous as their hands are tied for signings and they're trying to get results from players not of their choosing, academy kids and many who are past their best or who want to leave.

We know we have a rebuild to come and I can't think of anyone better to oversee that than CWAK.

I also honestly believe they will get us back up to the PL

That truly was the best football played by any Blades team in any era during my 50+ years.

However it had taken 3 years to build that squad with many tweaks and upgrades along the way.

People criticizing Wilder/Knill now is utterly ridiculous as their hands are tied for signings and they're trying to get results from players not of their choosing, academy kids and many who are past their best or who want to leave.

We know we have a rebuild to come and I can't think of anyone better to oversee that than CWAK.

I also honestly believe they will get us back up to the PL
Is this a joke?

I don't think it is. Need to give Wilder time to build his team.
Folk demanding the manager is sacked after what is it about 7 games with players he hasn't had any input in recruiting is idiotic?
See the season out. Give him a moderate budget and see what progress is made after a year in the Championship.
Some "fans" need to grow some gonads and stop whining.

Aside from the many great games themselves a peak for me was directly before lockdown, when I read a newspaper article suggesting without irony that the winners of an upcoming match between United and Man Utd would be strong contenders for a Champions' League spot at the end of the season.

For me, this is when we peaked as a club in the modern era.

The performances during this month were outstanding. It started with a battering of Burnley, a game that was supposed to be a real test of our credentials. We out-footballed Spurs away from home and were desperately unlucky not to come home with all 3 points. One of the finest displays I've seen from a United team. We finished the month by showing real heart to rescue a point against Man Utd after looking like we'd thrown away all our good work.

Our performances during this period were fearless, confident (bordering on arrogant), we had full belief in our own abilities and tactics. The team was incredibly well-drilled and each player new their role inside out. Opposition fans and pundits both admired and respected us. More than that, we were bloody fun to watch and the passing and movement was almost dizzying at times.

Does anyone think we'll ever reach these heights again or was it a once in a lifetime period for Blades fans?

I'd say the zenith for me was at about 52 minutes into that Man Utd game singing "we're Sheff United, we're taking the piss"

Edit: top of the league in 1971 was pretty special as well

The Man Utd game was the ultimate in well drilled team vs very talented individuals. Either can hold their own even in the premier league. Both needed to challenge for the top honours. We have neither this season.

Wilder/Knill will earn their corn if they can deliver the drilling over the summer.

But surely they’d have known the situation before taking the job?

But surely they’d have known the situation before taking the job?
Of course they did. The chat probably went like this:
"Hey Alan, fancy getting paid whilst the Blades get relegated this season on account of having a Championship squad, then start grafting in the Summer?"
"Yeah sure Chris, sounds great"

Thought this was gonna be a thread about the Zenith Data Systems Cup at first.

Great minds, it’s exactly what I opened it expecting 🤣

Back
Top Bottom