Main sponsor in big trouble...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

As someone who was involved in property development for over 30 years , it never ceases to amaze me how people who would run a mile if you asked them to change a spark plug on a car or even a washer on a tap , suddenly decide that they have the knowledge and skills to take on , and supervise , relatively major projects in this field .

There seems to be a general notion that any fool can do it , but many fools have found out to their cost that there's a lot more to it than meets the eye and that the consequences of their lack of knowledge and understanding of the complexities involved in the process can be devastating .

The best (or worst) example of this has to be the bloke who featured on Grand Designs last year , who embarked on a vanity project in Devon some 10 years ago saying that it would cost him £1.5 million and be finished in 18 months

Since then , he has pumped £7 million into it , his wife and kids have left him and he owns a shell with doors hanging off and windows smashed .

If your'e thinking of doing it , be careful .
Exactly. It was ST’s comment that it went over budget and time that set me off because my natural response is ‘of course it did, they always do’.

I always liked the Visitmalta.com shirts.

I always liked the Visitmalta.com shirts.

The chap (whose name I can't remember) who seemed to come into the club as part of this is still around - I clocked him in the Directors' Box the other night.

As someone who was involved in property development for over 30 years , it never ceases to amaze me how people who would run a mile if you asked them to change a spark plug on a car or even a washer on a tap , suddenly decide that they have the knowledge and skills to take on , and supervise , relatively major projects in this field .

There seems to be a general notion that any fool can do it , but many fools have found out to their cost that there's a lot more to it than meets the eye and that the consequences of their lack of knowledge and understanding of the complexities involved in the process can be devastating .

The best (or worst) example of this has to be the bloke who featured on Grand Designs last year , who embarked on a vanity project in Devon some 10 years ago saying that it would cost him £1.5 million and be finished in 18 months

Since then , he has pumped £7 million into it , his wife and kids have left him and he owns a shell with doors hanging off and windows smashed .

If your'e thinking of doing it , be careful .

I saw that episode, loved it. Couldn't have happened to a nicer bloke.

The chap (whose name I can't remember) who seemed to come into the club as part of this is still around - I clocked him in the Directors' Box the other night.

An older Maltese fella? If it's the same person I'm thinking of, he was something to do with Sheffield Hallam Uni/Travel & Tourism courses taken there. My mate got us a box once as he was at Uni at the time.

Back
Top Bottom