Maddy Cusack - SUFC Investigation Statement

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The club chose to go down the route of using externally trained counsellors. I’ve got no expertise as to the merits of going with external counsellors over an internal chaplain - a chaplain the club knew the capabilities of - but I do get a feeling that The Athletic is seemingly creating a storm around one bloke effectively feeling as though he’s been sidelined at work.
It's clearly about more than that as detailed in the article.
If folk take their red and white specs off it's not hard to see the club has not covered itself in glory with any of this.

How many young players today would turn to a chaplain as opposed to a professional counsellor.

Delroy may well be a thoroughly good bloke and a sympathetic ear but if you're not religious, I believe most would go down another route if they felt they needed support.

Slightly ironic that the racism insuation gets an airing in light of the person at the centre of the accusations and who the club are alleged to be protecting by some, but hey, it's the modern day way.

How many young players today would turn to a chaplain as opposed to a professional counsellor.

Delroy may well be a thoroughly good bloke and a sympathetic ear but if you're not religious, I believe most would go down another route if they felt they needed support.

Slightly ironic that the racism insuation gets an airing in light of the person at the centre of the accusations and who the club are alleged to be protecting by some, but hey, it's the modern day way.
Doubt if anyone on here knows what part racism played, if any, but the notion that a business can employ people of colour in some positions and therefore not have an issue with racism elsewhere is a bit daft.

Also doesn't a chaplain have links to religion and especially christianity.
These days players and staff are often non christian or not religious at all.

Now that we're in the realms of diversity isn't having a chaplain contradictory. You would have thought this day and age, a neutral professional councillor would be more appropriate for most people.

Also regards counselling and mental health you would expect HR to be sending out regular emails offering support.
However you can't force players to receive help, it can only be offered.

There is no way that we know, or will ever know if Mr Hall was interviewed as part of the report and it would be wrong of anyone to speculate either way, but I don’t like the way that paragraph is tacked on at the end, as if its related but not important, if ever a man was qualified to council people through grief, its him.
He should have been the first person that the club turned to for advice and he has resigned for feeling ignored.
I can’t put my finger on it, but something is very wrong here.

https://www.delwes.com/home/about

Click the link in my post #74 to have a look at his counselling credentials,

ive just seen that Jonathan Morgan has returned to his job after what im guessing was being clearly legally i was surprised he would want to come back, i would thought he would want a clean break. as it got to be a weird atmosphere, where paranoia could breed

because if the allegation he was calling her a phycho are true & also that other players at utd & other clubshave complained about his behaviour, is true. this might not be a good look for the club

Not defending it at all but in some contexts 'Psycho' has actually been used as a compliment in football (from Wikipedia):

"Throughout his career, [Stuart] Pearce was given the nickname of "Psycho" for his unforgiving style of play. This was initially a tag afforded to him only by Forest fans, though later it was adopted by England supporters as well. Of the nickname, Pearce later commented:

The Psycho nickname was just a bit of fun. In the 80s everyone was called Psycho or Rambo. It doesn't represent what I'm like away from football. You've got to be a bit more cute than that. If you're an idiot and try to live up to your nickname, you won't last very long. I'd like to think there's a little more about me than that. A lot of journalists were pigeonholing me as a lunatic who shouldn't represent England because I'd get sent off all the time. But in 78 games for England I've been booked five times and never been sent off. I've only been sent off three times playing for my club, which in this day and age is quite an achievement.

The times changes of course.

Eighteen months ago I read this an article on a website called Training Ground Guru wriiten by Sally Needham. At the time Sally Needham was the Human Development and Performance Culture Lead at Sheffield United's Academy. According to her LinkenIn she is still in that role. It is a fascinating read and I can't help feeling that this may be playing a significant part in the success of our Academy players progressing into the first team squad. If you read the aeticle the club appears to take the mental well being of our young players very seriously. I have no idea whether this work goes beyond the Academy but in light of recent sad events it clearly should. If you have ten minutes give it a read https://trainingground.guru/articles/sally-needham-human-development-at-sheffield-united

If folk take their red and white specs off it's not hard to see the club has not covered itself in glory with any of this.
Nothing is clear.
Neither The Athletic nor us know anything about why this guy quit, or what involvement the club or the family wanted from him in this sad affair.
Stirring up new problems isn't doing anything for the benefit of her family or those closest to her.

Has the club or anyone involved with the club actually been accused of anything?

Nothing is clear.
Neither The Athletic nor us know anything about why this guy quit, or what involvement the club or the family wanted from him in this sad affair.
Stirring up new problems isn't doing anything for the benefit of her family or those closest to her.
The Athletic has literally spoken directly to the guy.
If you think about it, it must be pretty difficult for any organisation to get involved in any kind of dispute with a chaplain, of all people.
The guy is fully entitled to speak out on his own terms.

The Athletic has literally spoken directly to the guy.
If you think about it, it must be pretty difficult for any organisation to get involved in any kind of dispute with a chaplain, of all people.
The guy is fully entitled to speak out on his own terms.
Yes, he is entitled to. Whether what he's saying right, or helps anybody is a completely different matter.

Doubt if anyone on here knows what part racism played, if any, but the notion that a business can employ people of colour in some positions and therefore not have an issue with racism elsewhere is a bit daft.
It's a football club with limited people where many are ultimately answerable to the same people. We're not a multinational with umpteen different arms and 10s of thousands of employees.

I’ve read the full article. I read the article published yesterday too. I completely agree the club hasn’t covered itself in glory here - to the extent that having any disaffected employee in a role of responsibility doesn’t cover yourself in glory - but I also know exactly how a publication like The Athletic works and how it dresses things up to drive clicks.

Had a meeting on site today and the lady i met was Maddy's Doppelganger. Honestly, it was putting me about a little

Christ on a bike. I had no idea what a bunch of ghouls you lot are.

Now the Government are getting involved:

"[Sports Minister Stuart] Andrew also indicated that the government was closely monitoring the Football Association’s decision to look into the death of Sheffield United player Maddy Cusack.

Cusack’s family is understood to have written to United outlining a range of issues she had been facing, which they said all stemmed from her relationship with the club’s manager, Jonathan Morgan.

United commissioned a third-party investigation following the complaint, which concluded last year with no evidence found of any wrongdoing by anyone connected to the club.
“My understanding is that the FA are going to review the evidence that was gathered by the club themselves and I think that that is right,” said Andrew. “We have to have a spotlight on these issues if we’re going to address them properly.”
"

Not defending it at all but in some contexts 'Psycho' has actually been used as a compliment in football (from Wikipedia):

"Throughout his career, [Stuart] Pearce was given the nickname of "Psycho" for his unforgiving style of play. This was initially a tag afforded to him only by Forest fans, though later it was adopted by England supporters as well. Of the nickname, Pearce later commented:

The times changes of course.
i might be wrong, but in the context of what happened, i feel like this was said in probably a rant after bad result. & it does bring up stereotypes of women who are "psychos"

which is why you have to be more aware when your a male manager in charge of female team, (trying not to be sexist) because i feel like if sir alex , warnock or sarina weigmann throwing the teacups around it fine because it male to male & female to female.

i might be wrong, but in the context of what happened, i feel like this was said in probably a rant after bad result. & it does bring up stereotypes of women who are "psychos"

which is why you have to be more aware when your a male manager in charge of female team, (trying not to be sexist) because i feel like if sir alex , warnock or sarina weigmann throwing the teacups around it fine because it male to male & female to female.

Absolutely context matters. Others have referred to how Clough senior was in the past, to be more recent one of the best sport coaches in the world that is active is Bill Belichick.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/american-football/67905580

'There are a couple of big question marks, though, such as whether his old-school, my-way-or-the-high-way coaching style can still work in the modern game, especially at a new team.'

I don't think there was any way for a coach like him to be the way he is in any sport, no matter how successful it 'worked' in the past.

Its just the way things are, times and people change so coaches have to adapt.

I’ve read the full article. I read the article published yesterday too. I completely agree the club hasn’t covered itself in glory here - to the extent that having any disaffected employee in a role of responsibility doesn’t cover yourself in glory - but I also know exactly how a publication like The Athletic works and how it dresses things up to drive clicks.
The Athletic is hardly the Mail or the Sun and the journalist in question has got a very good reputation.

Absolutely context matters. Others have referred to how Clough senior was in the past, to be more recent one of the best sport coaches in the world that is active is Bill Belichick.

'There are a couple of big question marks, though, such as whether his old-school, my-way-or-the-high-way coaching style can still work in the modern game, especially at a new team.'

I don't think there was any way for a coach like him to be the way he is in any sport, no matter how successful it 'worked' in the past.

i know warnock & redknapp talk about that old management has gone. but you can do it but more sparsely when angry

but isnt there a thing that its fine for chris wilder to be angry at jack Robinson or for sarina weigmann to be angry at leah williamson. but i dont know for me i feel awkward when it hypothetically becomes chris wilder shouting at leah williamson i dont know. for me it feels wrong.

Eighteen months ago I read this an article on a website called Training Ground Guru wriiten by Sally Needham. At the time Sally Needham was the Human Development and Performance Culture Lead at Sheffield United's Academy. According to her LinkenIn she is still in that role. It is a fascinating read and I can't help feeling that this may be playing a significant part in the success of our Academy players progressing into the first team squad. If you read the aeticle the club appears to take the mental well being of our young players very seriously. I have no idea whether this work goes beyond the Academy but in light of recent sad events it clearly should. If you have ten minutes give it a read https://trainingground.guru/articles/sally-needham-human-development-at-sheffield-united
Sally Needham has also recently been ranked in the top women leading the way in men's football

Here's a thing. When I see Sally at an Academy game I always try and put myself within earshot of what she says to the players while the game is going on. To the extent I'm now a bit careful in case she gets a restraining order.

Fascinating use of that science in football.

The club chose to go down the route of using externally trained counsellors. I’ve got no expertise as to the merits of going with external counsellors over an internal chaplain - a chaplain the club knew the capabilities of - but I do get a feeling that The Athletic is seemingly creating a storm around one bloke effectively feeling as though he’s been sidelined at work.
Whilst you can understand the Chaplin's position; the decision to bring in external counsellors recommended by the FA was a good one. For one, how much time could the Chaplin realistically give to 20+ staff members during what must have been a really tough time for some? Secondly, you would imagine that although the Chaplin may have had some experience with suicide, would it be at the level required to adequately support teammates who would have been very close to Maddy in a way that was required, and to the degree required when there are 20+ staff to support - highly doubtful. Also, the club will be bound by all sorts of requirements to fulfil in these circumstances that one Chaplin would not be able to meet, even if he was an expert.

I can understand his upset, but the club acted correctly imho on bringing in external supports with expertise, and as mentioned, I am sure staff knew they could also approach the Chaplin as a supplementary support. This comes from someone with several years in suicide prevention.

Whilst you can understand the Chaplin's position; the decision to bring in external counsellors recommended by the FA was a good one. For one, how much time could the Chaplin realistically give to 20+ staff members during what must have been a really tough time for some? Secondly, you would imagine that although the Chaplin may have had some experience with suicide, would it be at the level required to adequately support teammates who would have been very close to Maddy in a way that was required, and to the degree required when there are 20+ staff to support - highly doubtful. Also, the club will be bound by all sorts of requirements to fulfil in these circumstances that one Chaplin would not be able to meet, even if he was an expert.

I can understand his upset, but the club acted correctly imho on bringing in external supports with expertise, and as mentioned, I am sure staff knew they could also approach the Chaplin as a supplementary support. This comes from someone with several years in suicide prevention.

You make some good points there, having 30 experience in some difficult environments e.g. Rampton Hospital, I don’t doubt his credentials.

However given the number of staff involved and the fact that he was a volunteer at the club, the decision to bring in outside help as advised by the FA was perhaps the best option, what is worrying to me is his feeling of being ignored by the club.

Lets not make the fact that the club took a recommendation from the FA and in their eyes acted correctly, hide the fact that an experienced, qualified member of staff who was already familiar with the staff and players was left out of the loop (why?).

This issue could very easily be swept under the carpet if it isn’t in the scope of any future investigation.

You make some good points there, having 30 experience in some difficult environments e.g. Rampton Hospital, I don’t doubt his credentials.

However given the number of staff involved and the fact that he was a volunteer at the club, the decision to bring in outside help as advised by the FA was perhaps the best option, what is worrying to me is his feeling of being ignored by the club.

Lets not make the fact that the club took a recommendation from the FA and in their eyes acted correctly, hide the fact that an experienced, qualified member of staff who was already familiar with the staff and players was left out of the loop (why?).

This issue could very easily be swept under the carpet if it isn’t in the scope of any future investigation.
Yes, it is not a good look when a member of staff feels overlooked or undervalued. I would guess this was perhaps not an isolated incident to cause him to feel the need to leave. As you say he had much experience, but again, having the experience to support one person, is very different to being able to support 20-25 or perhaps more members of staff as Maddy was employed in two roles.

I think the club would have been accused of more of a cover up had they insisted that the Chaplain support staff. In all honesty, the Chaplain should have understood that he could never adequately give the support needed to all the staff at the level they may have required. Not to be harsh here, but if he does indeed believe that he could have supported all the staff with no external support needed, then that shows (to me at least) that he was NOT suitably experienced. It would break all sorts of professional ethical standards for one person to support a whole organisation when it comes to such matters.

Why he is so upset, is a different matter of course and suggests there is more to the story.

I agree, the thing is people today are getting more sensitive, both men and women, what was once called banter and laughed off can have people in tears nowadays. Now I know some go over the top with their behaviour and there is a limit, but a lot is like the players rolling around as if they've been shot, for just a touch, then a minute later carry on as if nothing happened, young kids see this and think it's normal ,so copy it etc

I agree, the thing is people today are getting more sensitive, both men and women, what was once called banter and laughed off can have people in tears nowadays. Now I know some go over the top with their behaviour and there is a limit, but a lot is like the players rolling around as if they've been shot, for just a touch, then a minute later carry on as if nothing happened, young kids see this and think it's normal ,so copy it etc

Speaking in general terms, there has to be a balance.

I remember being shouted at during half-time by my coach (''pull your socks up, wake up, you're letting yourself down!'') when I was playing a junior match and not playing well. We were losing 3-0, but in the second half I played much better and scored a consolation in the final minute and the coach was pleased with my efforts. I knew the coach well and that it wasn't personal, I deserved the telling off and that approach worked.

I don't think that approach would be allowed/is taken in schools/junior settings by managers anymore, not that it necessary should be.

Sally Needham has also recently been ranked in the top women leading the way in men's football

Here's a thing. When I see Sally at an Academy game I always try and put myself within earshot of what she says to the players while the game is going on. To the extent I'm now a bit careful in case she gets a restraining order.

Fascinating use of that science in football.
Interesting and good to know. What are the kind of things she has said and in what context.

Speaking in general terms, there has to be a balance.

I remember being shouted at during half-time by my coach (''pull your socks up, wake up, you're letting yourself down!'') when I was playing a junior match and not playing well. We were losing 3-0, but in the second half I played much better and scored a consolation in the final minute and the coach was pleased with my efforts. I knew the coach well and that it wasn't personal, I deserved the telling off and that approach worked.

I don't think that approach would be allowed/is taken in schools/junior settings by managers anymore, not that it necessary should be.
This story originally appeared in Tiger comic during1962 in the Billy’s Boots strip………..

Back
Top Bottom