Maddy Cusack - SUFC Investigation Statement

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Yes, it is not a good look when a member of staff feels overlooked or undervalued. I would guess this was perhaps not an isolated incident to cause him to feel the need to leave. As you say he had much experience, but again, having the experience to support one person, is very different to being able to support 20-25 or perhaps more members of staff as Maddy was employed in two roles.

I think the club would have been accused of more of a cover up had they insisted that the Chaplain support staff. In all honesty, the Chaplain should have understood that he could never adequately give the support needed to all the staff at the level they may have required. Not to be harsh here, but if he does indeed believe that he could have supported all the staff with no external support needed, then that shows (to me at least) that he was NOT suitably experienced. It would break all sorts of professional ethical standards for one person to support a whole organisation when it comes to such matters.

Why he is so upset, is a different matter of course and suggests there is more to the story.

As the Chaplain of SUFC, i would have expected him to take the lead of the support provided for all that require it. A Chaplain of any experience would not be able to support that many staff as you rightly state, but he would, without doubt, have people/services to turn to for assistance. I would have expected the club to take his view and opinions on board and paid for the additional support requested by the clubs own Chaplain.

With that said, one thing I think may actually be missing here (or i've missed mention of it), is that, did the clubs former Chaplain have any involvement with Maddy's counselling prior to her death? If so, the clubs decision to not use him could have been made to protect him from any personal anguish and grievance, especially with so many people involved and the high profile it was receiving.

Whilst you can understand the Chaplin's position; the decision to bring in external counsellors recommended by the FA was a good one. For one, how much time could the Chaplin realistically give to 20+ staff members during what must have been a really tough time for some? Secondly, you would imagine that although the Chaplin may have had some experience with suicide, would it be at the level required to adequately support teammates who would have been very close to Maddy in a way that was required, and to the degree required when there are 20+ staff to support - highly doubtful. Also, the club will be bound by all sorts of requirements to fulfil in these circumstances that one Chaplin would not be able to meet, even if he was an expert.

I can understand his upset, but the club acted correctly imho on bringing in external supports with expertise, and as mentioned, I am sure staff knew they could also approach the Chaplin as a supplementary support. This comes from someone with several years in suicide prevention.
Good points there, but might have been better to have at least have him involved in the process, in my opinion.

There is no way that we know, or will ever know if Mr Hall was interviewed as part of the report and it would be wrong of anyone to speculate either way, but I don’t like the way that paragraph is tacked on at the end, as if its related but not important, if ever a man was qualified to council people through grief, its him.
He should have been the first person that the club turned to for advice and he has resigned for feeling ignored.
I can’t put my finger on it, but something is very wrong here.

https://www.delwes.com/home/about
I don't deny he has a wealth of counselling experience, but ffs the last person I would go to for counselling was a member of the clergy (interesting how he only fleetingly mentions this is his notes btw, you'd have thought he would be proud to be a man of God). By definition a man of the clergy is illogical, believes in fairy tales and is completely irrational when it comes to evaluating matters of fact and probability.

We have (had) a club Chaplain - ffs how archaic! I would have thought a club Humanist Counsellor/Mentor would be more appropriate these days.

As the Chaplain of SUFC, i would have expected him to take the lead of the support provided for all that require it. A Chaplain of any experience would not be able to support that many staff as you rightly state, but he would, without doubt, have people/services to turn to for assistance. I would have expected the club to take his view and opinions on board and paid for the additional support requested by the clubs own Chaplain.

With that said, one thing I think may actually be missing here (or i've missed mention of it), is that, did the clubs former Chaplain have any involvement with Maddy's counselling prior to her death? If so, the clubs decision to not use him could have been made to protect him from any personal anguish and grievance, especially with so many people involved and the high profile it was receiving.

Good points there, but might have been better to have at least have him involved in the process, in my opinion.
Yep, perhaps what the club was guilty of the most in regards to the Chaplain, is that they did not include him sufficiently (in his own opinion of course) in the process. They could have had the Chaplain organize meetings with the players and act as a focal point for the support systems put in place, even if he was not directly involved. They could of course have asked the external supports to work with the Chaplain in some way too, perhaps as part of their group supports which would likely have been a part of the supports offered.

Of course the club could have done this in some ways, but the Chaplain still felt undervalued and overlooked and we may never know what is true. To play devils advocate, it is not unusual for employees to feel undervalued. But the other thing is, perhaps with the 'sensitivities' of the tragedy, the club were advised that players and other employees would be more likely to speak openly with someone not connected to the club. For all we know, the Chaplain could be close to other employees at the club which would make those needing support more likely to struggle on without getting support and heading towards complex grief and trauma. As as been suggested too, the Chaplain may have been providing support to Maddy which would severely compromise his ability to then support others after what happened.

I say all this as a Halifax Town fan, not a Blades fan so I have no dog in the fight.

I don't deny he has a wealth of counselling experience, but ffs the last person I would go to for counselling was a member of the clergy (interesting how he only fleetingly mentions this is his notes btw, you'd have thought he would be proud to be a man of God). By definition a man of the clergy is illogical, believes in fairy tales and is completely irrational when it comes to evaluating matters of fact and probability.

We have (had) a club Chaplain - ffs how archaic! I would have thought a club Humanist Counsellor/Mentor would be more appropriate these days.

The Chaplains in my organisation regularly "turn off" there beliefs in order to support people at their time of need. It doesn't mean they don't keep believing, but they don't quote the bible/scriptures/etc to try and help. They use tried and tested psychology and techniques to support people, some just good listening skills and providing the right signposts for self help methods is enough.

Not sure how it works on the outside world, but chaplains coming into our organisation aren't just religious leaders or whatever. They come in very well qualified in philosophy and/or psychology and in the most part have a history of supporting folk on the outside.

I only assume that civilian chaplains can act in the same way, particularly at something like a football club where multi beliefs (or non-beliefs) exist. Maybe there is a misconception hanging around that chaplains are just going to push the religious rhetoric down peoples throats...maybe not.

Although I do agree, a suitably qualified counsellor would probably be more appropriate.

I should add that I don't doubt the Chaplain had a lot of experience, nor that he had valid reasons for feeling that his skills were not utilised. But, I am speaking from a purely ethical perspective within the industry, and in that regard, the club acted very professionally and ethically. How the club acted on other things and on how they communicated the use of external supports to the Chaplain perhaps is an entirely different proposition of course.

Surely a belief that a creator God is infallible is not less irrational than your own belief in yourself as infallible?

But why employ & pay the Raoul Moat retired cop Shotton to do the investigation? It's a bit weird? Anyway as of yesterday the FA have taken over the case,

But why employ & pay the Raoul Moat retired cop Shotton to do the investigation? It's a bit weird? Anyway as of yesterday the FA have taken over the case,
I am no legal expert, but you would imagine that the clubs intentions were correct, but the choice of investigator was in hindsight a poor one given his propensity to get even the rudimentary details correct. The Police would be unlikely to act or investigate unless a criminal act was deemed to have occurred, leaving only the coronial inquest which takes time. Presumably, the club brought in their own investigator so that if it was found that an employee had breached employment and HR standards then they would have removed them from their position before the coronial inquest took as long as it takes to reach their conclusions.

Sadly, given the basic details were not even correct, it looks like their choice was not up to standard.

I’ve given my opinion on this matter and tried not to speculate, as much as I want to for now so won’t be commenting again until the investigation is concluded.

Just to answer some of your points:

“but ffs the last person I would go to for counselling was a member of the clergy”

That’s your personal opinion.

“interesting how he only fleetingly mentions this is his notes btw, you'd have thought he would be proud to be a man of God”

If you are referring to this article

That’s his CV he is selling himself as a councillor so his counselling attributes are front and centre with other skills mentioned later. He does mention being the club chaplain in the first paragraph and later has a separate paragraph with a bold title called Clergy Stress where he states he has been a clergy person for over 30 years.

“By definition a man of the clergy is illogical, believes in fairy tales and is completely irrational when it comes to evaluating matters of fact and probability.”

By including that sentence you are dismissing the opinion of 85% of the human race, faith and fact are not mutually exclusive, and probability is a branch of mathematics based in logic not fairy tales.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/religion-by-country

Maybe this list will give you something to consider.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christians_in_science_and_technology

“We have (had) a club Chaplain - ffs how archaic! I would have thought a club Humanist Counsellor/Mentor would be more appropriate these days.”

From the article in the Athletic, behind a paywall but reproduced in post #117 I this thread.

“Concluding his letter, he added: “Currently, there are 81 chaplains across the four divisions (of English men’s professional football), so Sheffield United will be one of the minority of clubs who no longer offer that support for players, staff and fans.”

I you think this this is archaic, that’s your opinion. If you have a genuine concern that 81 of the professional football clubs in this country are wrong in their approach and this is somehow damaging the wellbeing of players/staff then maybe this is a concern you should raise with the FA

Here is a starting point, read the section on inclusion and faith, then click (tap) 'contact us' to raise any concerns.

https://www.thefa.com/inclusion-and-anti-discrimination

I’ve given my opinion on this matter and tried not to speculate, as much as I want to for now so won’t be commenting again until the investigation is concluded.

Just to answer some of your points:

“but ffs the last person I would go to for counselling was a member of the clergy”

That’s your personal opinion.

“interesting how he only fleetingly mentions this is his notes btw, you'd have thought he would be proud to be a man of God”

If you are referring to this article

That’s his CV he is selling himself as a councillor so his counselling attributes are front and centre with other skills mentioned later. He does mention being the club chaplain in the first paragraph and later has a separate paragraph with a bold title called Clergy Stress where he states he has been a clergy person for over 30 years.

“By definition a man of the clergy is illogical, believes in fairy tales and is completely irrational when it comes to evaluating matters of fact and probability.”

By including that sentence you are dismissing the opinion of 85% of the human race, faith and fact are not mutually exclusive, and probability is a branch of mathematics based in logic not fairy tales.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/religion-by-country

Maybe this list will give you something to consider.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christians_in_science_and_technology

“We have (had) a club Chaplain - ffs how archaic! I would have thought a club Humanist Counsellor/Mentor would be more appropriate these days.”

From the article in the Athletic, behind a paywall but reproduced in post #117 I this thread.

“Concluding his letter, he added: “Currently, there are 81 chaplains across the four divisions (of English men’s professional football), so Sheffield United will be one of the minority of clubs who no longer offer that support for players, staff and fans.”

I you think this this is archaic, that’s your opinion. If you have a genuine concern that 81 of the professional football clubs in this country are wrong in their approach and this is somehow damaging the wellbeing of players/staff then maybe this is a concern you should raise with the FA

Here is a starting point, read the section on inclusion and faith, then click (tap) 'contact us' to raise any concerns.

https://www.thefa.com/inclusion-and-anti-discrimination
I have to say, that having read his BIO he has a wealth of experience both in counselling and leadership/supervisory roles. So with that in mind you can see to some extent how he may have felt undervalued by the club or overlooked for others who may have had less overall experience than him. So certainly the club perhaps could have utilised him to some degree, especially in a leadership role in managing the support of staff.

However, it may be that the organisation that the FA recommended were not able to have him involved due to their own insurances/policies that would put them in danger if anything was to go wrong (it is not uncommon for people struggling with grief and loss to become very vulnerable themselves of course). But I still maintain that regardless of his experience, one person cannot support a staff of 20+ people who are in varying degrees of shock, guilt, grief etc. Even giving one appointment to each of the 20+ fellow players would be 20+ clinical hours, or 4-5 days of workload. That is not even factoring in emergency sessions, or follow up sessions. The club made the right call on external supports, but perhaps they handled the communication of it badly.

Presumably, the external organisation would have been able to better handle quicker timeframes in sessions for employees. Have Group sessions as part of the supports, and offer emergency sessions if required, all of which one guy working alone would not be able to offer. Then we have the issue of confidentiality which is harder to maintain when support is given by someone on the payroll of the club and who may have ties with other employees. Not saying the Chaplain is going to breach confidentiality, but it is a barrier for those employees in seeking support. There are more reasons why external supports were the correct avenue but I will stop there.

Perhaps also the club felt that in a situation like this where it has already gone pear-shaped and who knows what else might go wrong, they needed a contractual relationship with a professional body. I'm not saying the chaplain couldn't do the job, but as he was a voluntary chaplain, the insurance implications of him getting it wrong might be different from the insurance implications of the people they did get, getting it wrong.

I dare say any individual on the staff could go to the chaplain anyway?

Suppose it depends on what evidence of "wrongdoing" they have and whether or not they gain access to the documentation from the inquest.
As I understand it, the investigation was headed by a former senior police officer. This is likely to mean that physical evidence, or corroborated statements would only be considered as evidence.

Uncorroborated statements from family and friends would be dismissed as hearsay or emotionally driven.

Bad spelling, and incorrect employment attribution is a concern, as is the later resignation of the club Padre. There can really be no excuse for the club not making the report available to the family.

IMHO any female side, professional especially, should not be managed by any male. Men and women are wired differently. A robust male manager in charge of a professional female team is not appropriate.

As the investigation was undertaken at the family’s request, they should have full sight of the results and not just the decision.

As I understand it, the investigation was headed by a former senior police officer. This is likely to mean that physical evidence, or corroborated statements would only be considered as evidence.

Uncorroborated statements from family and friends would be dismissed as hearsay or emotionally driven.

Why? It's not a police investigation.

Why? It's not a police investigation.
I suspect that he is used to working in an evidence based work place.

Personally, I think that someone as strongly committed to the club deserves a more transparent and wide ranging investigation.
Without corroborated evidence it becomes a case of ‘he said she said’?

Perhaps also the club felt that in a situation like this where it has already gone pear-shaped and who knows what else might go wrong, they needed a contractual relationship with a professional body. I'm not saying the chaplain couldn't do the job, but as he was a voluntary chaplain, the insurance implications of him getting it wrong might be different from the insurance implications of the people they did get, getting it wrong.

I dare say any individual on the staff could go to the chaplain anyway?
Exactly right! Given the gravity of it, the publicity, the sensitivity of ensuring the club responded correctly, the decision and advice from the FA was spot on. You can sort of understand the Chaplain feeling his nose was put out of joint a little and even that he felt undermined to an extent, it was still the right decision imho.

Bad spelling, and incorrect employment attribution is a concern, as is the later resignation of the club Padre. There can really be no excuse for the club not making the report available to the family.

IMHO any female side, professional especially, should not be managed by any male. Men and women are wired differently. A robust male manager in charge of a professional female team is not appropriate.

As the investigation was undertaken at the family’s request, they should have full sight of the results and not just the decision.

Regards men managing females - wouldn't the reverse also be true and should we apply that to all workplace situations? How about male teachers in female schools?

Regards men managing females - wouldn't the reverse also be true and should we apply that to all workplace situations? How about male teachers in female schools?
I very strongly believe that male and female of the species are different. My theory will always be subject to limitations, and quirks of nature.

The fact remains that most females will be batter than males in certain circumstances. The opposite is also true. It’s not possible to change the biology, mechanics and hard wired processes that remain evident in our differences.

I don’t believe in dividing male and female at school level. That is sexist and it does not represent reality. Anyone who attends a single sex school will be at a disadvantage socially in the real world, so the premise is false. It smacks of eugenics.

In elite professional sports, there are physical and artistic barriers that cannot be crossed. I have no problems with mixed sports teams at school level, but I would not generally put developed adults together in elite level competitions. You might ask why men do not compete in rhythmic gymnastics, or synchronized swimming?

We never see mixed sports teams at elite levels, and that is true in real world terms too. The truth is that women are better at some things than men, and men are better at other aspects of life. This is a fact demonstrated in political roles for both men and women at elite levels.

In simple terms, the male solution is to hit it with a bigger stick, while women excel at more diplomatic and thoughtful levels. The solution might take longer using women, but how many female dictators are there?

In answer to your original question. Single sex schools are not a realistic option, but if they are to continue, selection of teachers should be on merit and not based on any teachers sex.

I very strongly believe that male and female of the species are different. My theory will always be subject to limitations, and quirks of nature.

The fact remains that most females will be batter than males in certain circumstances. The opposite is also true. It’s not possible to change the biology, mechanics and hard wired processes that remain evident in our differences.

I don’t believe in dividing male and female at school level. That is sexist and it does not represent reality. Anyone who attends a single sex school will be at a disadvantage socially in the real world, so the premise is false. It smacks of eugenics.

In elite professional sports, there are physical and artistic barriers that cannot be crossed. I have no problems with mixed sports teams at school level, but I would not generally put developed adults together in elite level competitions. You might ask why men do not compete in rhythmic gymnastics, or synchronized swimming?

We never see mixed sports teams at elite levels, and that is true in real world terms too. The truth is that women are better at some things than men, and men are better at other aspects of life. This is a fact demonstrated in political roles for both men and women at elite levels.

In simple terms, the male solution is to hit it with a bigger stick, while women excel at more diplomatic and thoughtful levels. The solution might take longer using women, but how many female dictators are there?

In answer to your original question. Single sex schools are not a realistic option, but if they are to continue, selection of teachers should be on merit and not based on any teachers sex.

Firstly, I agree with your point about males and females tending to excel in different ways but I don't think you addressed my remarks about why you believe a male or female can't manage the other sex.

In years gone by females didn't play football, cricket or rugby and could you imagine women boxing? Regards male synchronized swimming, it has been reported that last year the Olympic and World Aquatics Championships opened the door for males to compete.

I am intrigued by your comment on single sex schools. My own inclination are that there might be both advantages and disadvantages however the Blade I travel to away games with is a retired career teacher who has worked in both single sex and mixed schools and in our discussions he is adamant that in his experience girls thrive in single sex schools. He tells me that in his experience they put themselves forward more when there are no lads there and tend to perform better in maths and science than is the norm.

Neil Redfearn was a popular manager for United’s women’s team and the players seemed really sad to see him go. Men can manage women’s teams just as women can manage men’s teams, I believe that this is just a case of Morgan being a bad manager.

Interesting and good to know. What are the kind of things she has said and in what context.
Here goes nothing
The following is my interpretation. Based on observation and laypersons reading up of the science. These are my words, not Sally's. I may be wrong. I have had a brief opportunity to ask Sally a few things. But, United are quite secretive about the techniques. Because they think it gives us a competitive advantage over other Academies.

Some conventional coaching is about triggers. Getting players to react in certain ways when certain things happen. Track him. Be on his left shoulder. Defensive drills etc.

But you can also drill a player how to think. And I don't mean - if he overlaps I need to go with him. I mean how to be calm, how to be focused, how to concentrate, how to relax. Those sort of things.

The Academy work on those mind skills. For instance, we all see the running around cones preparation for the body. They also do routines and drills that prepare the head. Yes. Really.

So. A conventional coach may yell - get tighter on him. But, during a game, Sally will not yell - get calmer. Instead, she'll use a trigger word, a trigger sentence, even a trigger tone of voice which resets the players head into a safe space (I know, but that's the best way I can explain it).

Obviously that phrase will not be - what is the capital of Montenegro. But, it will just be a gentle phrase. And specific to each player. Like a personalised plan for each player.

She's not telling them how to play. She's not telling them what to think. She's not even telling them how to feel. But, through the preparation and drills and trigger phrases she's clearing their heads (for example). You can tell the players respect her and value what she says.

Say there's a free kick over the far side. It's in range. They're going to do a routine they've drilled at Shirecliffe. Sally will call over a nearby player and say something to him - I don't know, maybe - tell Sydie to take his breath and look at his hands. That player will jog over and tell Sydie. He'll score. He doesn't run to the bench and point at the coach who worked out the blocking routine. He runs over and points at Sally, both with a beaming smile.

Fascinating.

Here goes nothing
The following is my interpretation. Based on observation and laypersons reading up of the science. These are my words, not Sally's. I may be wrong. I have had a brief opportunity to ask Sally a few things. But, United are quite secretive about the techniques. Because they think it gives us a competitive advantage over other Academies.

Some conventional coaching is about triggers. Getting players to react in certain ways when certain things happen. Track him. Be on his left shoulder. Defensive drills etc.

But you can also drill a player how to think. And I don't mean - if he overlaps I need to go with him. I mean how to be calm, how to be focused, how to concentrate, how to relax. Those sort of things.

The Academy work on those mind skills. For instance, we all see the running around cones preparation for the body. They also do routines and drills that prepare the head. Yes. Really.

So. A conventional coach may yell - get tighter on him. But, during a game, Sally will not yell - get calmer. Instead, she'll use a trigger word, a trigger sentence, even a trigger tone of voice which resets the players head into a safe space (I know, but that's the best way I can explain it).

Obviously that phrase will not be - what is the capital of Montenegro. But, it will just be a gentle phrase. And specific to each player. Like a personalised plan for each player.

She's not telling them how to play. She's not telling them what to think. She's not even telling them how to feel. But, through the preparation and drills and trigger phrases she's clearing their heads (for example). You can tell the players respect her and value what she says.

Say there's a free kick over the far side. It's in range. They're going to do a routine they've drilled at Shirecliffe. Sally will call over a nearby player and say something to him - I don't know, maybe - tell Sydie to take his breath and look at his hands. That player will jog over and tell Sydie. He'll score. He doesn't run to the bench and point at the coach who worked out the blocking routine. He runs over and points at Sally, both with a beaming smile.

Fascinating.
Absolutely fascinating Surely this would be useful once these players like Brooke’s start to break into the senior squad

Firstly, I agree with your point about males and females tending to excel in different ways but I don't think you addressed my remarks about why you believe a male or female can't manage the other sex.

In years gone by females didn't play football, cricket or rugby and could you imagine women boxing? Regards male synchronized swimming, it has been reported that last year the Olympic and World Aquatics Championships opened the door for males to compete.

I am intrigued by your comment on single sex schools. My own inclination are that there might be both advantages and disadvantages however the Blade I travel to away games with is a retired career teacher who has worked in both single sex and mixed schools and in our discussions he is adamant that in his experience girls thrive in single sex schools. He tells me that in his experience they put themselves forward more when there are no lads there and tend to perform better in maths and science than is the norm.
IMHO your mate has a good point about all girls students doing better. That probably applies to males too. I might have done better at an all male school if I wasn’t so distracted by the little minxes in mini skirts. I blame confused hormones, or maybe I’m just thick!

Maybe teams at elite level respond better to a man or a woman who has excelled at the game, and can empathise with improved understanding of the male or female psyche? A man who pushes a female team, could apply higher physical standards without realising that, sometimes women use different skills to overcome their physical differences?

Until women are the equal of men in physically dominant team games, they are probably better managed by the same sex. I know that’s a generalization, but there are still differences.

Can’t wait for the FA to do an investigation and reach exactly the same conclusion, absolutely no wrongdoing.
The Athletic can stick it up their arse.

Why he is so upset, is a different matter of course and suggests there is more to the story.

Why does there have to be more to the story.

Some are outraged that free meals are not provided by the club, everyone has an opinion.

Why this then leads to a 'let's find something to blame the club for' attitude I have no idea.

Has the club said that after the chaplain 'left' that they were not going to replace him, or are you just assuming such ?

Tom Bott : Has the club said that after the chaplain 'left' that they were not going to replace him, or are you just assuming such ?
forgot to quote and can't add qoutes when editing so copied your post

Read post #117 in this thread if you dont subscribe to the Athletic.

"According to Hall, he was informed the following month that the club did not think the role of chaplain was “relevant” and that his position would be reviewed at the end of the season. He was “deeply disappointed” to be told that meant he could leave and they had “decided to do away with chaplaincy, that has been a feature of the club for over 40 years”. Hall felt that it was not worth him sticking around in those circumstances."

Not first hand, but fair to say also not an assumption.

Given that the club chaplain was unable to prevent the tragedy with Maddy maybe the club thinks that there is a case for a more modern alternative.

Back
Top Bottom