Maddy Cusack - SUFC Investigation Statement

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

++ Some people die young , when I was a local referee a young man of 25 dropped dead and we abandoned the game
I attended the enquiry but could offer nothing but sympathy, First half he ran around like the rest then just collapsed in the other half

People want answers but at times there are none except their life had expired
Dont know what circumstances that surround Maddys death but people need to blame someone, sometimes unfairly
I dont know the coach either so again cant form an opinion
where do you draw the line at shouting at people
warnock used to throw tea cups and abuse players, watch united united episodes of him chuntering on at staff

twitter , sorry X is not the place to discuss this and listening to people who shout the loudest is a poor way to debate

There are different stages of dealing with a tragedy. What do they say, first is shock, then extreme sadness followed by anger.

It’s normal to demand answers and look for blame. Must feel terrible if there are no real answers and no one held accountable. Even if this was true it’s not something you’d accept during the grieving process.

Sky News reported last night that the FA have become involved and have begun gathering evidence in response to Maddies families 3350 word complaint letter raising concerns about the manager Jonathan Morgan. They say that Maddies father is an experience solicitor, so you suspect this story won’t be ending anytime soon.

Can hardly blame the paper when its her own family thats continuing with this.

As important as this is, is it really the most important thing that's going on in the world right now that merits to be the frontpage news story? (rhetorical question, not aimed at you)

The Athletic story is a tough read and there's a clear impression this isn't going away.
Obvious questionmarks against the investigation and it wouldn't be surprising if the FA steps in.
In some ways it might be a bit of a test case around the development of women's football and professionalising it, how it's working or otherwise.

Not commenting on the case in question but the statements along the lines of "this is how it has always been in the men's game" need to be considered in light of what we now know about the prevalence of alcohol and drug problems and mental health issues amongst current and former players.

Not commenting on the case in question but the statements along the lines of "this is how it has always been in the men's game" need to be considered in light of what we now know about the prevalence of alcohol and drug problems and mental health issues amongst current and former players.
Isnt that now in almost every vocation ?

the other side of the coin, again not about this case, but how perceptions were driven by calling ched evans a rapist when it was proven later on he wasnt, certain press hounded the court into a decision not based on facts, but perceptions, there's a danger of the mob calling the tune-

the other side of the coin , again not about this case , but how perceptions were driven calling ched evans a rapist when it was proven later on he wasnt , certain press hounded the court into a decision not based on facts , but perceptions

The court didn't make a decision the jury did, and how were they hounded into making that decision?

Isnt that now in almost every vocation ?
Interesting point, yeah. But I think that in many vocations and workplaces there's been a realization that treating people poorly isn't necessarily the best way to get results from them and a growing awareness of the damage that can be done by workplace bullying and similar behaviors.

the other side of the coin, again not about this case, but how perceptions were driven by calling ched evans a rapist when it was proven later on he wasnt, certain press hounded the court into a decision not based on facts, but perceptions, there's a danger of the mob calling the tune-
I don't see what that has to do with the point I was making.

the jury got it wrong then , they were in the court, but may have read some of the inflamatory press reports , as are being written now

the jury got it wrong then , they were in the court, but may have read some of the inflamatory press reports , as are being written now

No, the jury did not have access to the same evidence that was in the second trial, and the decision they came to was a reasonable one given the evidence they were presented with.

I don't see what that has to do with the point I was making.
the press are comparing the 2 levels of the mens and womens games ,
the mens game is awash with money , for intance no sheff utd ladies player will ever get near losing millions gambling
or crash a lamboughini or put up with the glare of tv coverage

the press are comparing the 2 levels of the mens and womens games ,
the mens game is awash with money , for intance no sheff utd ladies player will ever get near losing millions gambling
or crash a lamboughini or put up with the glare of tv coverage
Still doesn't have anything to do with what I posted.

No, the jury did not have access to the same evidence that was in the second trial, and the decision they came to was a reasonable one given the evidence they were presented with.
was still based on reasonable assumption over facts , Im sure some post office folk can relate to that
they got jailed believing the post office were beyond reproach as we think our justice system was, apparently it has flaws

Interesting point, yeah. But I think that in many vocations and workplaces there's been a realization that treating people poorly isn't necessarily the best way to get results from them and a growing awareness of the damage that can be done by workplace bullying and similar behaviors.

In general agree but managers always say there some people who need an arm around the shoulder whilst others need a big kick up the backside to get the best out of them.

That’s the issue, everyone is different, these differences need to be appreciated so no one is ever treat exactly the same.

Then when you don’t treat everyone the same, it could look like favouritism or potential bullying.

As mentioned earlier this situation could turn into something really major for football like the Bosman ruling. It also shows possible differences between men and women regards how to successfully motivate them. You only have to look at Neil Warnock and the aggressive big kick up the backside pep talk he used. He would virtually ridicule some male players but had the charm to get away with it. Think Blackwell used the same
bullying tactics as Warnock but couldn’t pull it off as well. You suspect that style would not be accepted by women.

To be honest the more professional and the more money is pumped into any sport then the more cut throat it becomes with bigger pressures.

This probably explains why the FA are now doing their own investigation regards what’s happened. It probably needs to cover the whole issue of on line abuse and counselling.

In general agree but managers always say there some people who need an arm around the shoulder whilst others need a big kick up the backside to get the best out of them.

That’s the issue, everyone is different, these differences need to be appreciated so no one is ever treat exactly the same.

Then when you don’t treat everyone the same, it could look like favouritism or potential bullying.

As mentioned earlier this situation could turn into something really major for football like the Bosman ruling. It also shows possible differences between men and women regards how to successfully motivate them. You only have to look at Neil Warnock and the aggressive big kick up the backside pep talk he used. He would virtually ridicule some male players but had the charm to get away with it. Think Blackwell used the same
bullying tactics as Warnock but couldn’t pull it off as well. You suspect that style would not be accepted by women.

To be honest the more professional and the more money is pumped into any sport then the more cut throat it becomes with bigger pressures.

This probably explains why the FA are now doing their own investigation regards what’s happened. It probably needs to cover the whole issue of on line abuse and counselling.
I get what you’re saying. I think what I’m getting at, though, is that the old school style of management has had costs for men, too, and they’re becoming more visible as society becomes more open to talking about stuff like alcoholism and mental health. I’m not sure that it’s just that women are less willing to tolerate a style of management that remains acceptable for men. Do you see my point?

Again not about the individual but it also makes you appreciate the road to professionalism isn’t an easy one.

Most of us are knackered enough holding down one job and managing those stakeholders. It must be doubly hard for those trying to achieve enough so they can become professional and sustainable whilst having to juggle two jobs on the way.

Shouting at people to somehow motivate them would pretty much bomb in most offices around the country. But football is different. You’re often wanting a short term injection of something from players. It may well be that challenging their ability to perform makes some think “I’ll show him/her!” And the end result is what you wanted. But for others it may have the inverse impact. I suppose it’s all about knowing the people and what buttons to press to get their best. Not an easy balancing act when you are taking about a decent sized group.

Arguing against my own point a little but perhaps this is one reason why the club did not publish the results. Out of 20 players it will be difficult to resonate with all. Perhaps the concern is that if you are unhappy, then you’re more likely to gravitate to comments which align with your sentiments and dismiss those that do not. It’s unlikely any manager will receive universal acclaim so perhaps the concern is you’ll just never bring it to a close.

I’d prefer to have seen transparency but then again I don’t know what the report says so it’s very difficult to substantiate if this was the correct decision or not.

It’s just unfortunate that it looks like dragging. I don’t see any positive in this for the Club or the Family. It just delays moving on (healing or whatever the correct term may be) and none of it is going to bring her back sadly.

Last edited:
The story is getting some real traction in the news now.

Clearly Maddy's family feel like the club badly neglected their duty of care.

Just tragic really. Nothing has felt right this season since it happened.

Last edited:
A new Athletic article this time an interview(?) with the United's Chaplain who was mentioned as a footnote at the very end of the article linked and pasted above.

This one is behind the paywall, so I don't have access to this.

From the Athletic Article

Sheffield United’s former chaplain: Why I felt let down by the club after Maddy Cusack death​

The chaplain of Sheffield United quit the club in a resignation letter stating he had felt ignored and let down by senior officials — including when he was trying to help Maddy Cusack’s colleagues cope with their grief.

Dr Delroy Hall stood down at the end of November, two months after Cusack died, and explained his reasons in a resignation letter — widely distributed within the Premier League and Women’s Championship club — which also asked whether his skin colour had contributed to the way he perceived he had been treated over a number of years.

Contacted by The Athletic, Hall said he had often felt ignored by people at the top of the club and “totally excluded” when it came to the in-house response to the death of Cusack, a player for their women’s team, on September 20.

“You would have thought, with something like this, it was made for, ‘Del, could you be the interface between the club and the family?’. But there was not a dickie bird,” Hall said.

“I said (to the club), ‘Look, I’ve been involved in stuff like this for 30 years. I’m not asking for the limelight or to be the centre of attention but if I can offer any support, just let me know.’ I knew straight away it was going in one ear and out the other. They had no interest in getting me involved whatsoever.”

Responding to some of the points raised in his letter, Sheffield United said: “After the tragic passing of our much-loved colleague Maddy Cusack, we enlisted the support of external trained counsellors, recommended by the Football Association, who were available on the ground and over the phone. Several colleagues took advantage of this support and continue to work with these trained, dedicated people who are supporting them through their grief.”

Cusack’s death sent shockwaves throughout the sport and left Sheffield United mourning their longest-serving player. Cusack, who doubled up as a marketing executive for the club, was found at her parents’ house in the county of Derbyshire, which is immediately south of Sheffield. The police say there are no suspicious circumstances.

An inquest was opened in October and, in a seven-page dossier delivered to the club, her family have outlined the reasons why they believe the 27-year-old took her own life. An external inquiry, commissioned by Sheffield United, investigated the behaviour of their women’s team manager Jonathan Morgan and found no evidence of wrongdoing.

In Hall’s resignation letter, he said he was filled with “deep sadness” to leave a position he had held since 2017, having devoted endless hours to helping players and staff cope with “some of life’s difficult, dark and painful moments”.

It was an important role, he wrote, highlighting how his predecessor, Nigel Manges, had helped colleagues after Gary Speed, the club’s former manager, died by suicide in 2011. However, Hall went on to say he had repeatedly been ignored by senior club officials and that everything reached a head when he wrote an article, as an experienced counsellor, to help Cusack’s colleagues through the grieving process.

Hall said he forwarded the article to the Sheffield United Community Foundation, that it was “gratefully received” and the organisation distributed it to foundation staff. However, he also sent it to United’s HR department for it to be approved, in line with club protocol, and then shared inside the club. When he heard nothing back over the following weeks, that was “the final straw”, he said, and led to him challenging the club about why, in his opinion, it was part of a wider pattern.

“I was informed it was due to busyness. I did get an apology, but I said I had arrived at my own conclusions why my correspondence had not been addressed,” Hall wrote. “First, presumed incompetence — there was a consensus I was ‘only’ a chaplain and therefore had nothing of value to bring to the club. Second, there was a bias against me being a chaplain. Third, it was due to my race.”

The club have responded by saying they are “disappointed that Dr Hall’s resignation letter notes he considers his race may have been a factor in his experience of his role. No such concerns were raised during the time Dr Hall volunteered at the club and we firmly deny he has been discriminated against in any manner.”

According to Hall, he was informed the following month that the club did not think the role of chaplain was “relevant” and that his position would be reviewed at the end of the season. He was “deeply disappointed” to be told that meant he could leave and they had “decided to do away with chaplaincy, that has been a feature of the club for over 40 years”. Hall felt that it was not worth him sticking around in those circumstances.

His letter was addressed to the club’s senior leadership team and recalled a previous occasion when he raised questions about the makeup of their EDI (equality, diversion and inclusion) team, asking whether it was a true reflection on “the cultural diversity of the city of Sheffield”. That was, he said, the only time he could remember receiving a reply.

Responding via a club statement, Sheffield United said they were “saddened” to read the resignation letter because they had regarded the chaplain as a “valued member of the club”.

Acknowledging his work in Sheffield, the statement added: “The club would like to thank Dr Hall for his support in his volunteer role and wish him the very best of luck with his future endeavours.”

However, the Yorkshire club also expressed disappointment that his letter did not recognise the “current high standards and continuous improvement” of their EDI team, having recently achieved intermediate level in the Premier League EDI standard (PLEDIS). They added: “Promoting and supporting good mental health and wellbeing are both major considerations within the club’s EDI working group.

“As part of the commitment to EDI, and having regard to the broad spectrum of faiths held by those involved with the club, we are in the process of exploring our support offering. The club discussed his voluntary role with Dr Hall and how it may develop under the evolving approach. Unfortunately, views were not aligned.”

In what doubled up as a farewell to colleagues, Hall stated in his resignation letter that he had written more than 150 letters to players, staff, stewards, fans and other people connected with the club who had needed emotional support. He had officiated at several funerals and helped people cope with illness, bereavement, relationship problems and mental health issues. It was all done on a voluntary basis, as well as making countless phone calls, emails, text messages and house, hospital or prison visits.

“I have met with players off-site who wanted to talk with me privately,” Hall wrote. “Some time ago, I was informed by a member of staff that during lockdown I was the only one from the club who kept in regular contact with them and their team.”

Concluding his letter, he added: “Currently, there are 81 chaplains across the four divisions (of English men’s professional football), so Sheffield United will be one of the minority of clubs who no longer offer that support for players, staff and fans.

“I bear no anger, malice or resentment to anyone, or the decision that has been made, but I am saddened and deeply disappointed. I leave the club with my head held high.”

Really sad to read that from the chaplain.
United should never have found themselves in this position and a start would be communicating in a completely different tone to the defensive one they seem to have reflexively gone for,
Some really poor management from the top in several different ways it seems.

Really sad to read that from the chaplain.
United should never have found themselves in this position and a start would be communicating in a completely different tone to the defensive one they seem to have reflexively gone for,
Some really poor management from the top in several different ways it seems.
The club chose to go down the route of using externally trained counsellors. I’ve got no expertise as to the merits of going with external counsellors over an internal chaplain - a chaplain the club knew the capabilities of - but I do get a feeling that The Athletic is seemingly creating a storm around one bloke effectively feeling as though he’s been sidelined at work.

Like how there was a slight hint of perceived racism in the article too. The fact United were one of 82 clubs to have a Chaplin, how many were employing a Person of colour? Not that the club seek praise for that, but surely they get some credit for their inclusivity in employing him in the first place rather than somehow deserving the boot putting into them when he voluntarily departs?

Just the sort of thing you’d like to be casually tarnished with despite no specific evidence.

I would have thought he was there if needed. He didn’t want to be centre of attention but because they didn’t make him the focal point of everyone’s grieving he’s now resigning?

I thought the whole idea of a Chaplin was that he be there unselfishly for those who wish to visit him, not somehow have him thrust upon them. The fact that nobody did approach him perhaps reflects more on modern society than on United.

Back
Top Bottom