Luton’s fight

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The praise for Luton just shows how uncompetitive the league is. They've won 5 games and people talk like they're closing in on The Champions League. They have made a much better fist of it than us but they're still a bad Premier League team being held up as a success story because they don't get absolutely battered. I can't help feeling some people big them up to deflect from the idea that money hasn't totally ruined The Premier League

They're like we were under Warnock in 06/07, win the odd game and put in plucky performances but ultimately, they're not good enough

I've knocked up the table based on results since Wilder came in, then extrapolated the same PPG till the end of the season:

View attachment 180202

I'd take that TBH. Lets just not finish bottom.
I more cannot wait to be the worst Premier League team ever followed by not even worst in league.

Even if they stay up which looks to depend on points deductions for others it doesn’t feel a sustainable model for keeping them in the league. Looking at who is most likely to come up they’d be massive favourites to be last next season.
I think there’s an element of them having no fear because who’d have expected this when they were national league but that probably won’t last another season when the financial realities of going back down hit home.

So the Newcastle game was just a blip then?
Bashambauer came on at 7 nil. Baldock didn't play that game. My memory of that game is of Bogle being embarrassed constantly by Gordon, so yes, I believe the score would have been less humiliating had he played.

Luton had a core group of players and an identity. Then strengthened smartly, but maintained there ethos, style of play and togetherness.

We sold our best players, recruited poorly. Ending up a weaker team than what went up without structure, harmony or an ethos.

If we’d just signed Doyle, kept Berge and Iliman we’d be 7 or 8 points better off.
Berge and Ndiaye weren't going to sign contracts so would've walked at the end of the season.

7 or 8 points more would still put us in the bottom 3 so if you'd held onto them hoping they might change their minds and sign a new deal there's no chance they would if we were going straight back down especially if they'd shown their quality at premier league level.

How can Rob Edwards make Luton so competitive while wilder makes United the laughing stock of the league?
Rob Edwards, competitive failures, at least make an EFFORT.
Chris Wilder, as much as I am not a fan since the back door exit, his present obese appearance and he weren't that good a player, is NOT making Blades a laughing stock.
That was done before a ball was kicked for the 2023-24 season.
Please put the blame where it truly lies.

For Luton this year see Huddersfield in 2017/18. Hugely underestimated and expected to go straight back down they were able to use the complete lack of pressure to stay up.

Huddersfield went down with 16 points in 2018/19. If Luton do manage to escape the drop - and they're only doing that if other clubs get significant points deductions - then I expect the same to happen to them next season.

Our squad is still mentally scarred from the last PL season when we were frankly outclassed. Yes, we didn't get hammered very often (4-0 at Spurs, 5-0 at Leicester and a couple of 3-goal defeats were as bad as it got) but teams knew that if they went 1-0 up against us they'd won the game so they just kept us at arms' length. It's worse now because we fold when we concede but the fundamentals are the same.

TL;DR: Luton aren't good enough but they believe they can stay up; we're not good enough and we don't believe we can stay up.

Back
Top Bottom