Luton’s fight

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Came here to post what Houston_Blade said. Wilder got us to 9th in the PL and at one stage had us looking like we might get into Europe. Luton are nowhere near that level.

It’s a sign of how much the division has changed even in 4-5 years that we’re now cooing over plucky little Luton. By historical standards they’re not even a particularly good promoted team.

What did Luton do at home to Arsenal, lose 4-3?

While our lot just hopelessly, powerlessly lose 6-0 - they should be ashamed

Yes they have things going for them that we don't but it doesn't account for the massive difference. It should remain a comparison of major embarrassment

Luton try to compete and end up getting beat, we just sit back and invite teams on and end up getting beat by more. Both teams outclassed and out of their depth at this level, but one actually puts up a fight, no reason why we couldn't do the same even though we'd still be beaten by better sides most weeks.

The praise for Luton just shows how uncompetitive the league is. They've won 5 games and people talk like they're closing in on The Champions League. They have made a much better fist of it than us but they're still a bad Premier League team being held up as a success story because they don't get absolutely battered. I can't help feeling some people big them up to deflect from the idea that money hasn't totally ruined The Premier League

The praise for Luton just shows how uncompetitive the league is. They've won 5 games and people talk like they're closing in on The Champions League. They have made a much better fist of it than us but they're still a bad Premier League team being held up as a success story because they don't get absolutely battered. I can't help feeling some people big them up to deflect from the idea that money hasn't totally ruined The Premier League

It's massively uncompetitive. Before a ball is kicked half the teams know they're playing for nothing but midtable obscurity, about a quarter are looking at avoiding relegation and the rest finish top every season in an order that can be fairly accurately predicted.

The minor points deductions for breaching FFP aren't severe enough to cause damage to the teams that can afford to do it, so aren't really a deterrent.

There's no other sport and probably even scenario in life where finishing 17th in a field of 20 is considered a success. I think the Premier League is going to have to address that sooner or later.

How can Rob Edwards make Luton so competitive while wilder makes United the laughing stock of the league?
Edwards is actually a clever manager, he's done well with them. But what they have is a clear plan of how they want to play, which they have done for past 3 years.

They have probably in hindsight recruited a better midfielder in barkley than we have at our entire club. They also have a lot of pace to play their counter attacking football, coupled with 2 big lads up front that can actually win the ball and hang onto it.

Where as we have no style of play no pattern of play stand off teams to defend our box and let them zip it around. We can't even manage to do that and let players walk through us, then as things stand any shot on goal flys into the net. When we do get the ball no player wants to show, we go hide behind nearest opposition player, resulting in the player with the ball just hoofing it long back to opposition to start their next attack.

Luton had a core group of players and an identity. Then strengthened smartly, but maintained there ethos, style of play and togetherness.

We sold our best players, recruited poorly. Ending up a weaker team than what went up without structure, harmony or an ethos.

If we’d just signed Doyle, kept Berge and Iliman we’d be 7 or 8 points better off.

I must admit, I have been taken in by some of the hype. Five wins is nothing to brag about. However, they are the sort of team, I thought we would be, aggressive, hard working but ultimately too shit to survive. They have a method of playing that is drummed into them and everyone is committed to. A lot of the big boys do not like being roughed up. Arsene Wengers at Arsenal were the best example of this, getting done over at Stoke and Bolton regularly. I am not a fan of alehouse football but it can be effective against more talented opponents.

Luton had a core group of players and an identity. Then strengthened smartly, but maintained there ethos, style of play and togetherness.

We sold our best players, recruited poorly. Ending up a weaker team than what went up without structure, harmony or an ethos.

If we’d just signed Doyle, kept Berge and Iliman we’d be 7 or 8 points better off.
Also worth pointing out that without the injuries to Bash, Egan, Baldock, we would probably have conceded 20 or so less goals.

They both have exactly the same win % at Watford 27.27%..

Edwards P11 W3 D5 L3
Wilder P11 W3 D3 L5

Make of that what u will 🤷🏼‍♂️

Been a while since all 3 promoted clubs went straight back down. It was 1997/98 - Barnsley, Bolton and Crystal Palace.

That's the only time its happened
And when was last time all three relegated teams got promoted? Baring Ipswich spoiling the party Leicester, Leeds and Southampton leagues above anything in Championship

Luton have recruited well. They have a style of play that suits them. They have an annoying little ground that teams dont like to play at - and yet they have still lost games there. We have recruited poorly, not replaced our better players we sold and perhaps should have picked up Doyle. It could still be Heckingbottom or Wilder or someone else, you cannot polish a turd.

It’s very much Wilders squad. He signed 7 of the players who played Monday night. Some for very big transfers so yeh I reckon Wilder
You're right I stand corrected, it's all his fault, wilder signed the players you are referring to in his first stint

They were excellent then, it's not his fault they are still here, I think he has got a lot wrong since he has come back, but to pin the blame on him is just ridiculous

They’re going down, but at least they’ll go down with a little pride having fought a bit and not taken any real pastings

United can just fuck off at this point.

How can Rob Edwards make Luton so competitive while wilder makes United the laughing stock of the league?
Luton didn't sell their best two players and let some dressing room leaders walk out the door and have the others who were left get long term injuries

It’s very much Wilders squad. He signed 7 of the players who played Monday night. Some for very big transfers so yeh I reckon Wilder

Some of those were signed in the league below though. I don't think we can blame Wilder for still having his Championship signings hanging around 6/7 years later in the league above.

The recruitment has been shockingly bad. To look at those players from Monday night as a whole:

• 3 are academy products
  • 3 were signed cheaply for the Championship
  • 1 is on loan
  • 6 were signed in the Premier League but for peanuts, and are unsurprisingly not at the required level
  • 3 we spent a bit of money on (but still not much in Premier League terms), and are still not at the required level - only one of which was Wilder's signing, by the way.

Rob Edwards doesn’t have to take over Heckys team that are rubbish and all out of contract.

Glad we got to the bottom of this.

If the season started when Wilder was here we would have been 3rd bottom.

The praise for Luton just shows how uncompetitive the league is. They've won 5 games and people talk like they're closing in on The Champions League

If we had won five games more than most people thought we would, the media would be talking very highly of us as well

Back
Top Bottom