Lump it to McBurnie...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I feel for McBurnie, it's like he's become this seasons 'James Hansen'.

Remember going to see us at Oxford and Hansen started up front. We just kept lofting the ball up to him and we played awful and were losing 1-0 at half time. Not Hansen's fault I might add. Wilder took Hansen off at half time and replaced him with Lavery, forcing the team to pass the ball around and we played a million times better and won 3-2.

Fleck was awful in the first half of that game, couldn't get on the ball and was poor when he did. Second half he was like a different player and played brilliant...

Coincidence?

Have Wilder and Knill really forgotten all this?

They have been, there is nobody to pass to though. I started watching out for it as there wasn't much else going on and I swear down the midfielders at some stages moved from space to behind the opposition.
this is where berge should be showing for the ball like norwood used to hes capable but just doesnt do it plus because were basically playing a back 5 every game weve nobody out wide to give it to either another reason we should change the system

It is a sad reflection of our current strategy that our #9 has, by some margin, both won AND lost the most aerial duels of any player in the division.

UTB.

We have scored 5 goals this season, some of you just want to slag us off for no reason.

I feel for McBurnie, it's like he's become this seasons 'James Hansen'.

Remember going to see us at Oxford and Hansen started up front. We just kept lofting the ball up to him and we played awful and were losing 1-0 at half time. Not Hansen's fault I might add. Wilder took Hansen off at half time and replaced him with Lavery, forcing the team to pass the ball around and we played a million times better and won 3-2.

Fleck was awful in the first half of that game, couldn't get on the ball and was poor when he did. Second half he was like a different player and played brilliant...

Coincidence?
It will be interesting to see if this comes to fruition again as he’s likely to miss the next match with what looked like a dislocated shoulder. It is true we’ve always played best with a link man type striker Clarke then didsy and an out and out goal scorer in billy we have a couple of good finishers in Mousset Brewster and of course billy himself although whether he can still do it at this level or not is up for debate. Our only link man option is didsy I think McBurnie can do that role and has on occasion but I agree the temptation is very high to pump it when he’s on the pitch.

It will be interesting to see if this comes to fruition again as he’s likely to miss the next match with what looked like a dislocated shoulder. It is true we’ve always played best with a link man type striker Clarke then didsy and an out and out goal scorer in billy we have a couple of good finishers in Mousset Brewster and of course billy himself although whether he can still do it at this level or not is up for debate. Our only link man option is didsy I think McBurnie can do that role and has on occasion but I agree the temptation is very high to pump it when he’s on the pitch.
i think we will start with mcgoldrick and brewster on thursday and play 3511 cant honestly see us getting owt from the next 2 games anyway we really need to be starting brewster now and see what hes made of tell him to do 65 mins hard graft then bring the moose on

So I read this thread and decided to watch some Mcburnie videos on utube.
I’m honestly shocked at how good he can be.
Picking the ball up deep,running at defenders,quick feet,Skills,great passing and scoring goals.
What the fuck are you playing at Wilder??......
Play the mans game and he can be a real asset.
Or Keep lumping balls at the poor fucker and destroy the poor bloke.
I’ve knocked Mcburnie and now I’ve seen the light.
Wake up Wilder.

i think we will start with mcgoldrick and brewster on thursday and play 3511 cant honestly see us getting owt from the next 2 games anyway we really need to be starting brewster now and see what hes made of tell him to do 65 mins hard graft then bring the moose on
I’m all for starting Brewster fitness permitting and hoping he can form a partnership with someone but doing that the next two games would send united fans into meltdown we’d literally have started him only in our hardest games and given him very little game time against our easier opponents and then we’d all be calling him a bust and waste of money when he doesn’t elevate and struggling team all on his own.

I’m all for starting Brewster fitness permitting and hoping he can form a partnership with someone but doing that the next two games would send united fans into meltdown we’d literally have started him only in our hardest games and given him very little game time against our easier opponents and then we’d all be calling him a bust and waste of money when he doesn’t elevate and struggling team all on his own.
i see your point yogi but just think we might as well play him now and do agree with mumbo although not a mcburnie fan hes better in the mcgoldrick role than just using him as a target man dont for the life of me understand chris 's tactics this season

i see your point yogi but just think we might as well play him now and do agree with mumbo although not a mcburnie fan hes better in the mcgoldrick role than just using him as a target man dont for the life of me understand chris 's tactics this season
Yeah I’d like to see him too I’d just hope the fan base is a bit understanding of the fact no one is currently look good and strikers more than anyone rely on teammates creating for them. I don’t think the tactics are necessarily different to last year I don’t watch us and scratch my head as to how we’re lined up etc I just don’t think we’re executing them at all players are just helping the ball on into areas rather than trying to play the passing football we have for years. Inevitably at this level that means the ball is coming straight back at us.

Yeah I’d like to see him too I’d just hope the fan base is a bit understanding of the fact no one is currently look good and strikers more than anyone rely on teammates creating for them. I don’t think the tactics are necessarily different to last year I don’t watch us and scratch my head as to how we’re lined up etc I just don’t think we’re executing them at all players are just helping the ball on into areas rather than trying to play the passing football we have for years. Inevitably at this level that means the ball is coming straight back at us.
just think anything is worth a try now were definetly going down if we carry on playing this system probably still will even if we try something else but lets at least try a different formation who knows what might happen

It's probably a combo of the defence not having faith in the midfield (so they hoof it) and a bit of the manager wanting us to do it (given the defence is wobbling).

But regardless, it's crap and ineffective and the sooner we stop it the better. I saw a quick highlight clip of some goals against Man United from last season - the football was beautiful. We have gone miles backwards in our play at the moment.

Wilders comments about Mcburnie puts into perspective as to what he's in the team for

"He brings qualities from a defensive point of view and a set plays point of view." Wilders comments in the star about Mcburnie

just think anything is worth a try now were definetly going down if we carry on playing this system probably still will even if we try something else but lets at least try a different formation who knows what might happen
I’m not against a new formation if I thought we could execute it but I have issues with any formation which would require us to play a 4 at the back as I don’t think we have the centrehalves who are defensively complete enough to carry that off. That would limit us to either a 3-4-3 or a different iteration of our 3-5-2. So my issues with a 3-4-3 is there’s only really Burke who I’m convinced has the pace and fitness to play as a true out and out winger with the ability to go past a man. You could play that formation with a false nine upfront and two more advanced strikers alongside but then you’re effectively just playing our 3-5-2 when we had Duffy just by another name and that brings me on to my problem with a different iteration of the current formation we do not have a player who can occupy that 10 role effective. Didsy is the closest player we have but he works best dropping off centrebacks to find pockets of space whilst opposition midfielders are occupied with our midfield. We’re he to start in the 10 role oppositions would allocate a midfielder to man mark him out of the game and I’m not convinced he has the shiftiness over short distances to create half a yard in tight spaces and then distribute the ball effectively. Due to the players we currently have I don’t think we have many different options in terms of how we set out to play what we need to find is combinations of player who work together. Currently out left hand side is very disjointed and doesn’t click whilst we also have an issue in the middle of the park and finding a 3 who work together.

Wilders comments about Mcburnie puts into perspective as to what he's in the team for

"He brings qualities from a defensive point of view and a set plays point of view." Wilders comments in the star about Mcburnie
But manages to stop short of saying “and precious little else”.

😉.

UTB

It reminds me a bit of John Stead, ha was about 6 ft 4 or something, so we just used to punt it up to him. It was obvious for all to see that he was better with his feet than playing as a target man.

At the moment though, there never seems to be another option on. Earlier in the season we'd still see: Bash, Berge and Baldock showing for the ball and trying to get into space, but nothing on the left . Now even they aren't showing for it, there's a reason why Berge, Norwood and Ampadu all look incapable of playing in that central role for us, and it's simply there's no movement and no one to aim at.

Southampton being they prime example of that, 9 bloody passes in 20 minutes! I think 4 of those were Ramsdale too.

I’m not against a new formation if I thought we could execute it but I have issues with any formation which would require us to play a 4 at the back as I don’t think we have the centrehalves who are defensively complete enough to carry that off. That would limit us to either a 3-4-3 or a different iteration of our 3-5-2. So my issues with a 3-4-3 is there’s only really Burke who I’m convinced has the pace and fitness to play as a true out and out winger with the ability to go past a man. You could play that formation with a false nine upfront and two more advanced strikers alongside but then you’re effectively just playing our 3-5-2 when we had Duffy just by another name and that brings me on to my problem with a different iteration of the current formation we do not have a player who can occupy that 10 role effective. Didsy is the closest player we have but he works best dropping off centrebacks to find pockets of space whilst opposition midfielders are occupied with our midfield. We’re he to start in the 10 role oppositions would allocate a midfielder to man mark him out of the game and I’m not convinced he has the shiftiness over short distances to create half a yard in tight spaces and then distribute the ball effectively. Due to the players we currently have I don’t think we have many different options in terms of how we set out to play what we need to find is combinations of player who work together. Currently out left hand side is very disjointed and doesn’t click whilst we also have an issue in the middle of the park and finding a 3 who work together.
the problem is when mcgoldrick plays he likes to come in to midfield for the ball but when he does that a midfielder should be going beyond him to support the other striker and it doesnt happen fleck used to be the one to do that role but hes not on his game at present and sitting too deep anyway appreciate your not confident of playing a back 4 so yes 343 is the answer and play a lone striker with 2 others supporting from either side plus if we havent got the ball the 2 wide strikers can drop deeper to support our midfield

the problem is when mcgoldrick plays he likes to come in to midfield for the ball but when he does that a midfielder should be going beyond him to support the other striker and it doesnt happen fleck used to be the one to do that role but hes not on his game at present and sitting too deep anyway appreciate your not confident of playing a back 4 so yes 343 is the answer and play a lone striker with 2 others supporting from either side plus if we havent got the ball the 2 wide strikers can drop deeper to support our midfield
exactly theres no point playing mcgoldrick unless theres 2 strikers on the pitch otherwise the formation is just going to be 9-0-1

Who would you have as you’re deeper strikers I’m assuming McGoldrick is one of them?

Who would you have as you’re deeper strikers I’m assuming McGoldrick is one of them?
well burke would be one and daft as it sounds mcburnie as the other one with either brewster or mousset as the main striker whichever one of those 2 plays do 65 minutes then get the other one on this system would also give us more flexibility in the transfer market as another poster on another thread has said demari gray at leicester would fit in well really rate him as well got pace and power

well burke would be one and daft as it sounds mcburnie as the other one with either brewster or mousset as the main striker whichever one of those 2 plays do 65 minutes then get the other one on this system would also give us more flexibility in the transfer market as another poster on another thread has said demari gray at leicester would fit in well really rate him as well got pace and power
It would offer an interesting fluidity especially if you could develop Brewsters link play and have him an McBurnie interchange throughout the game as I’ve seen flashes from Brewster especially for mcburnies chance against West Ham that he does see the game well enough to drop deep and provide assists as well as the technical ability to execute it. Mousset would be more one dimensional and only really play as an out and out striker as for all his good qualities his link play isn’t one of them. In terms of gray im not sure I could see him playing narrow in behind a 9 but if a player like him came in then it gives the option to play a wider 3 with Burke. Also I wouldn’t rule out us trying to develop a winger into a 10 again given what happened with Duffy.

Not necessarily. Of course, he brings those qualities. That doesn’t mean it’s the only reason he’s in the team.

Perhaps it is, I’m not sure. But he’s a much better footballer than the likes of Hansen and Madine, and has not always played the target man role.

Our biggest problem is that whatever his qualities, he’s probably our best striker right now. The others are miles behind, and that’s not because he’s a great striker, by PL standards. It’s a measure of our poor striking options.

We’ve got to be able to use him, and it not be based on the current hoof.

It would offer an interesting fluidity especially if you could develop Brewsters link play and have him an McBurnie interchange throughout the game as I’ve seen flashes from Brewster especially for mcburnies chance against West Ham that he does see the game well enough to drop deep and provide assists as well as the technical ability to execute it. Mousset would be more one dimensional and only really play as an out and out striker as for all his good qualities his link play isn’t one of them. In terms of gray im not sure I could see him playing narrow in behind a 9 but if a player like him came in then it gives the option to play a wider 3 with Burke. Also I wouldn’t rule out us trying to develop a winger into a 10 again given what happened with Duffy.
yeah it would obviously be a dangerous system to adopt against the top teams but for games against teams in the bottom half i would give it a go what have we got to lose now its 90% certain that were going down anyway but dont think chris will change from 352 it would be intersting to see how the players confidence might come back if we can somehow get a 2 goal lead in a game

yeah it would obviously be a dangerous system to adopt against the top teams but for games against teams in the bottom half i would give it a go what have we got to lose now its 90% certain that were going down anyway but dont think chris will change from 352 it would be intersting to see how the players confidence might come back if we can somehow get a 2 goal lead in a game
Whilst I accept we need maximum points at every opportunity from a psychological point of view I’d take a clean sheet right now. I think that’d be a massive boost for them to know they can do it because right now surely doubts have got to be creeping in along the lines of what if we can’t do it without jack it’s only natural

Whilst I accept we need maximum points at every opportunity from a psychological point of view I’d take a clean sheet right now. I think that’d be a massive boost for them to know they can do it because right now surely doubts have got to be creeping in along the lines of what if we can’t do it without jack it’s only natural
it cant be easy for the defence when they see the chances being missed at the other end and so much pressure knowing if we concede weve got to score 2 to get the points imo joc being missing is the biggest factor in our probable relegation enda stevens certainly hasnt been the same either without him we got away with it last season injury wise but we just havent got the quality in depth to survive at this level in the championship you can get away with it

it cant be easy for the defence when they see the chances being missed at the other end and so much pressure knowing if we concede weve got to score 2 to get the points imo joc being missing is the biggest factor in our probable relegation enda stevens certainly hasnt been the same either without him we got away with it last season injury wise but we just havent got the quality in depth to survive at this level in the championship you can get away with it
I’d agree it surely must be playing on the strikers minds aswell last season so many times we knew we just had to nick one and we’d likely at least come away with a point Whereas now every chance must be so pressurised because every game is a shoot out. I’d agree the loss of JOC has unsettled the entire left.

I think the players levels of fitness have a lot to answer for . At the start of last season we looked a lot fitter than we do now, lockdown hit us hard and we came back looking less fit then we only had a short pre season which didn't help. Our midfield don't seem to find space to receive a pass like they used to which encourages a long ball game from defenders who get closed down. Of course some of this is down to the other team pressing us harder but we don't move like we did last season, a lot of the time a defenders only option is to go long.

Back
Top Bottom