Lump it to McBurnie...

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Dan Emery

Reaction score
When he's in the team are the instructions from Wilder to play long or do the team just do it anyway? In either scenario the responsibility for this long ball 'football' is Wilder's responsibility.

It’s also the easy out for players lacking in confidence rather than take a risk and try and play our way out of trouble hit and hope devolves players of responsibility and puts it all on McBurnie. It’s not a unique phenomenon to us but lots of teams when lacking confidence go long the tricky thing is once it starts how to stop it. I believe those players would currently lump it forward to anyone they aren’t playing it into McBurnie so much as they’re playing it just into a general area.

My favourite 'lump it to McBurnie' moment in every game is when we kick the game off either half (and then after we've conceded of course) and we go for the old Warnock/Blackwell strategy of aiming for McBurnie on the wing with 3 defenders around him and no teammates, it's a brilliant tactic.

funny thing is, there were times when the commentators werent saying anything against Leicester and you could hear Wilder shout clear it, majority of the time

I say go back to the late 80s early 90s
"Just get it in the fucking mixer!!!!!!!!!!!"

It is a sad reflection of our current strategy that our #9 has, by some margin, both won AND lost the most aerial duels of any player in the division.

UTB.
I like this. You’ve managed to post subjectively without slagging McBurnie off. Well done.

And I actually agree with you. Wow.

I feel like recording all of McBurnie’s goals for Swansea, Barnsley, and his performance against us at the Liberty and sending it to Chris and Alan with a note attached saying ‘what the fuck are you playing like this for?’

He is tall, he’s not Kevin Davies reincarnated. He’s a nice footballer who likes to drop deep collect the ball and play from there. Important thing being he needs players around him to do this rather than being isolated with his strike partner.

Play. Fucking. Football.

I feel like recording all of McBurnie’s goals for Swansea, Barnsley, and his performance against us at the Liberty and sending it to Chris and Alan with a note attached saying ‘what the fuck are you playing like this for?’

He is tall, he’s not Kevin Davies reincarnated. He’s a nice footballer who likes to drop deep collect the ball and play from there. Important thing being he needs players around him to do this rather than being isolated with his strike partner.

Play. Fucking. Football.
I remember back to the start of last season when Henderson used to pass the ball out to a defender and then he'd pass to a teammate and then he'd pass to another etc. I used to shit myself when our defenders were passing it but I'd rather shit myself every time than just sink back into my seat every time we lump the ball aimlessly forward for them to bring it down and pass it around us.

I remember back to the start of last season when Henderson used to pass the ball out to a defender and then he'd pass to a teammate and then he'd pass to another etc. I used to shit myself when our defenders were passing it but I'd rather shit myself every time than just sink back into my seat every time we lump the ball aimlessly forward for them to bring it down and pass it around us.
It’s really embarrassing to watch. It really is. I’d love to just talk to Chris and try to understand it.

Play. Fucking. Football.

Can't say I rate McBurnie with his feet much. If he's going to drop off, we're better playing off Didzy. McBurnie has a few touches, but he doesn't really seem to know what to do with the ball unless he's shooting.

well i dont rate mcburnie as a premier league striker but we really are playing the wrong game just hoofing it up to him and hoping something happens which 9 times out of 10 doesnt but as another poster has said its not mcburnies game anyway being a target man our real problem is in midfield were just not good enough for this league probably be fine in the championship just praying we ditch this 352 its run its course

Can't say I rate McBurnie with his feet much. If he's going to drop off, we're better playing off Didzy. McBurnie has a few touches, but he doesn't really seem to know what to do with the ball unless he's shooting.
For us maybe, but for Swansea he was different gravy doing exactly that. He doesn't exactly get chance to do it does he?

I feel for McBurnie, it's like he's become this seasons 'James Hansen'.

Remember going to see us at Oxford and Hansen started up front. We just kept lofting the ball up to him and we played awful and were losing 1-0 at half time. Not Hansen's fault I might add. Wilder took Hansen off at half time and replaced him with Lavery, forcing the team to pass the ball around and we played a million times better and won 3-2.

Fleck was awful in the first half of that game, couldn't get on the ball and was poor when he did. Second half he was like a different player and played brilliant...

Coincidence?

Its the age old thing with football in this country where if you're a big bloke, your job is either to play at the back and hoof it or be on the end of said hoof, or if you're a generally crap footballer, you'd go in goal and lump it downfield. I'm not a huge advocate of playing out from the back unless you have the personnel to do it but there's a balance to strike when it comes to keeping hold of the ball and rugby-style territory finding and playing the game at the other end of the field.

We were guilty of it when Madine played where the hoof downfield was the outlet when we were in trouble or was just the easiest, lowest risk option rather than trying to get the ball down and pick a pass. Thing is now we're constantly in the shit so the outlet ball is the long one to McBurnie and there's no confidence to take a risk. If we can get hold of the second ball in a decent area, then we can get the ball down and play a bit but if the followers (Aussie Rules style) aren't doing a good job of the mopping up the second ball, the ball just comes back like it is at the moment and we're running round being toyed with like against Southampton.

If Zlatan Ibrahimovic was English, he'd have probably ended up as nothing more than a big, journeyman lump too but instead he's scored a boatload of goals at the top level for 20 years. The outlook on how to play with a big lad up front is totally different abroad.

Its the age old thing with football in this country where if you're a big bloke, your job is either to play at the back and hoof it or be on the end of said hoof, or if you're a generally crap footballer, you'd go in goal and lump it downfield. I'm not a huge advocate of playing out from the back unless you have the personnel to do it but there's a balance to strike when it comes to keeping hold of the ball and rugby-style territory finding and playing the game at the other end of the field.

We were guilty of it when Madine played where the hoof downfield was the outlet when we were in trouble or was just the easiest, lowest risk option rather than trying to get the ball down and pick a pass. Thing is now we're constantly in the shit so the outlet ball is the long one to McBurnie and there's no confidence to take a risk. If we can get hold of the second ball in a decent area, then we can get the ball down and play a bit but if the followers (Aussie Rules style) aren't doing a good job of the mopping up the second ball, the ball just comes back like it is at the moment and we're running round being toyed with like against Southampton.

If Zlatan Ibrahimovic was English, he'd have probably ended up as nothing more than a big, journeyman lump too but instead he's scored a boatload of goals at the top level for 20 years. The outlook on how to play with a big lad up front is totally different abroad.
Lamberts another example he didn’t suddenly become mote technically proficient in his later years he just suddenly ended up in a team who were willing to use him in a diverse way.

Great thread chaps and spot on....Can someone sow it onto CW's Forehead!

When he's in the team are the instructions from Wilder to play long or do the team just do it anyway? In either scenario the responsibility for this long ball 'football' is Wilder's responsibility.

IF whoever plays in central midfield don't want the ball off players around them on a regular basis, then the only outlet for defenders is to lump it.

Bassetts orders were to play channel football - we all knew it and generally accepted it.

Wilders philosophy was apparently to play possession football, but who knows now.

For me, it is a massive disappointment to be playing this way, culminating on Sunday when after 20 minutes they'd had 88% possession - both embarrassing and disappointing in equal numbers.

It wouldn't be bad if McB was half decent at it - except he isn't and whoever plays up top with him simply isn't switched on to that type of play anyway.

It's all very strange what we've become. If we don't get central midfield wanting the ball and keeping the ball and then using the ball better (like we used to) then we have absolutely no chance of getting out of this.

If we keep lumping it - we will get relegated. Start playing as we used to - we at least have a chance, albeit, a diminishing one.

UTB

IF whoever plays in central midfield don't want the ball off players around them on a regular basis, then the only outlet for defenders is to lump it.

Bassetts orders were to play channel football - we all knew it and generally accepted it.

Wilders philosophy was apparently to play possession football, but who knows now.

For me, it is a massive disappointment to be playing this way, culminating on Sunday when after 20 minutes they'd had 88% possession - both embarrassing and disappointing in equal numbers.

It wouldn't be bad if McB was half decent at it - except he isn't and whoever plays up top with him simply isn't switched on to that type of play anyway.

It's all very strange what we've become. If we don't get central midfield wanting the ball and keeping the ball and then using the ball better (like we used to) then we have absolutely no chance of getting out of this.

If we keep lumping it - we will get relegated. Start playing as we used to - we at least have a chance, albeit, a diminishing one.

UTB

Good post. Do you think it's a question of the midfield not wanting to receive the ball from the defenders? Not being good enough to receive the ball and pass it under pressure? Or instructions from Wilder to look for the long ball? I'm struggling to determine which of these is causing the awful regression in our style of play.

UTB
Agree totally, football is our only way out!

My favourite 'lump it to McBurnie' moment in every game is when we kick the game off either half (and then after we've conceded of course) and we go for the old Warnock/Blackwell strategy of aiming for McBurnie on the wing with 3 defenders around him and no teammates, it's a brilliant tactic.
With a 100 per cent record of absolute and total failure. No doubt we will be trying it again on Thursday.

Yes we will and even if McBurnie doesn't play we'll still do the same......let's hope he sees the light....not gunna hold my breath though

Good post. Do you think it's a question of the midfield not wanting to receive the ball from the defenders? Not being good enough to receive the ball and pass it under pressure? Or instructions from Wilder to look for the long ball? I'm struggling to determine which of these is causing the awful regression in our style of play.
As mentioned above, in the Leicester game you could hear him barking orders to go long. He even snapped at someone to ‘get it cleared’ at one point. My heart absolutely sank.

As mentioned above, in the Leicester game you could hear him barking orders to go long. He even snapped at someone to ‘get it cleared’ at one point. My heart absolutely sank.

I saw that post up above but didn't want to believe it! Very worrying if true.

7 goals now for our big number 9, isn't it?
He's moved one ahead of Conor Sammon.
'Every cloud', and all that.
UTB

hate to say it but play 451 and get another body in midfield at least it would give us more options to play the ball through midfield whats the point of playing 2 strikers if weve no possesion in midfield play 1 up and try and support from midfield in any case hate watching this flat 3 in midfield

Look where our midfielders are when our defence is trying to find a pass out, nowhere.

Look where our midfielders are when mcburnie wins the header, nowhere.
Hmmm, defenders don't try to play it out! They are under instruction to play it back to Ramsdale to hoof it.
McBurnie if he wins the header it is a flick on, Midfielders are on the wrong side of him!

Hmmm, defenders don't try to play it out! They are under instruction to play it back to Ramsdale to hoof it.
McBurnie if he wins the header it is a flick on, Midfielders are on the wrong side of him!
They have been, there is nobody to pass to though. I started watching out for it as there wasn't much else going on and I swear down the midfielders at some stages moved from space to behind the opposition.

Back
Top Bottom