Luke Ayling

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

That isn't what I said. Not worth paying big bucks to a 33 year old who will be of no value at the end of the contract. Leeds, who failed to go up automatically, rightly decided that Ayling isn't good enough to be in a squad fighting for promotion. Boro, who you thought were certs to go up last year, have decided to sign a lower Championship standard right back on big wages.
Exactly the point i was trying to make earlier. Giving a contract to Ayling but not Baldock would be absolutely ridiculous.

If we're letting 'older' players go, we should be replacing them with young athletes who can develop. If we need to buy experienced players, we may as well keep the ones we have.

Exactly the point i was trying to make earlier. Giving a contract to Ayling but not Baldock would be absolutely ridiculous.

If we're letting 'older' players go, we should be replacing them with young athletes who can develop. If we need to buy experienced players, we may as well keep the ones we have.

Agree completely, we should be pushing the likes of Curtis towards the first team rather than Ayling. However, if we want to go with experience then Ayling is a good option compared to Baldrick who is always injured and obviously reaching the end of the road....

Baldock isn’t able to stay fit. If Ayling is able to then it’s not that ridiculous, particularly if Ayling costs us less in wages.

It would be more ridiculous to fill our squad with young athletes, hoping that at some point they turn into decent footballers.

Most Leeds fans I know are now looking back at the decision to let Ayling (and Leif Davis) go as bonkers. They are much weaker now in the full back positions and have no leader when the going has got tough.

9 assists since January is a phenomenal return from Ayling at Boro. Not every signing is going to be a glamorous one and the likes of Ayling and McNair are needed if we want a good squad depth and to not having to be significantly weakening the team every time we make a sub!

Never really fancied this signing to be honest. Unless I'm missing something, I never got the whole leadership vibe from him at all. Watched him loads at Leeds and whilst he was a fan favorite, a lot of their fans were accepting of the fact he was nowhere near Premier League level, it's not lost on me that we aren't either currently and his good spell at Borough in the Championship means he may have been useful for us next season, but Baldock is a much more experienced leader imo. Ayling reminds me of Jimmy Bullard in that he's a nice lad and a bit of a funny man. If we're going for leaders, Cooper would be the better choice but he's made of the same biscuits our squad is currently built of.

I would be going for Jake Cooper as a replacement/competition for Egan. He's always done well against us and is a genuine threat from corners and long throws.
Perfect for us, when Billy out muscled him, squared it for Basham 0-1

Personally wouldn't mind having Ayling around for a year or 2 for his experience if nothing else. A bit like when we signed Jake Wright, Richard Stearman and Martin Cranie, all three of them were experienced CB's that did a job when asked of them.

Refused to match his 12k P/W wage demands? Can't be just me that thinks in 2024 this isn't a lot?

Would equate to £1,248,000 over a two year deal, yet we're apparently bidding £8m for a goal keeper (who would then need wages paid on top).

I'd guess one (or more likely both) of these things are absolute bullshit.

Refused to match his 12k P/W wage demands? Can't be just me that thinks in 2024 this isn't a lot?

Would equate to £1,248,000 over a two year deal, yet we're apparently bidding £8m for a goal keeper (who would then need wages paid on top).

I'd guess one (or more likely both) of these things are absolute bullshit.
But one has a resale value one doesn't.
Infact one potentially has higher resale value than what we could be paying for him.

Going to Boro according to todays media. Never thought he'd not go there anyway. Generally players on.loan who are then free and have enjoyed their time they'd go back to the previous loan club over any interested parties.

If we keep Bogle than surely he only have been back up anyway and maybe that was in his thoughts also.

Back
Top Bottom