Player Suggestion Leroy Fer

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I like Leroy Fer (or liked, I haven't seen him play since he left England) but I'm not sure how adding a injury prone 32 year old fixes our problems even in the short term.

Berge’s touted replacement was the Canadian lad. A signing like Fer would be a short term gambit to secure promotion - much like we did under Wilder, twice.
Hopefully, Nathan Hemmingway seems to think players have to go out before they come in though due to finances so I’d be surprised if he came in before someone left

I've watched Fleck play... Is it possible to play worse than that?

Worse than what? He’s been good since he came back into the team. He was quiet yesterday but he’d obviously been given instructions to provide cover for Enda as much as possible, with him just coming back from injury. Worth remembering that Fleck himself is just back from a broken leg.

Your comment isn’t the first time I’ve thought that some of our fans have such short memories and appear to have little respect for those players of ours who deserve a whole lot more.

If he's as good as he was then it's the right type of signing.

I still stand by this. He was an excellent defensive midfielder for Swansea. Powerful, athletic, tidy with the ball.
He's 32 and has had some issues with injuries. No idea if he's past it now but I'm glad (if it's true) that we're looking at this sort of player.

Worse than what? He’s been good since he came back into the team. He was quiet yesterday but he’d obviously been given instructions to provide cover for Enda as much as possible, with him just coming back from injury. Worth remembering that Fleck himself is just back from a broken leg.

Your comment isn’t the first time I’ve thought that some of our fans have such short memories and appear to have little respect for those players of ours who deserve a whole lot more.
Flecks play has been abysmal for years. Yes, he has the odd game where he plays okay. But if we are to challenge for promotion we need better.
I would argue that it's not short memory, more long memory. That's not to say I don't appreciate everything he has done for us - I do. But his time has come and gone. I wish him nothing but the best.

What’s the point of signing a 32 year old, who hasn’t played a good season in this country for 3 or 4 years, on any sort of deal?
No idea, didn’t suggest I was in favour of the deal, just that it doesn’t block Oli.

Flecks play has been abysmal for years. Yes, he has the odd game where he plays okay. But if we are to challenge for promotion we need better.
I would argue that it's not short memory, more long memory. That's not to say I don't appreciate everything he has done for us - I do. But his time has come and gone. I wish him nothing but the best.

He was a regular player in a team that finished 5th last season (which included a bad start under a poor manager). You don’t finish 5th if you’re carrying “abysmal” players.

In the ‘years’ comment are you including the season we finished 9th in the Prem or just the season in which our entire team (a few others of which started yesterday) were also “abysmal”?

Since coming back into the team he’s looked good, despite coming back from a broken leg. If we had all of ours players fit then he might not be a starter. Personally I’m inclined to give him a little more respect because, frankly, he’s deserved it.

He was a regular player in a team that finished 5th last season (which included a bad start under a poor manager). You don’t finish 5th if you’re carrying “abysmal” players.

In the ‘years’ comment are you including the season we finished 9th in the Prem or just the season in which our entire team (a few others of which started yesterday) were also “abysmal”?

Since coming back into the team he’s looked good, despite coming back from a broken leg. If we had all of ours players fit then he might not be a starter. Personally I’m inclined to give him a little more respect because, frankly, he’s deserved it.
If we had a Doyle in LCM last year, you don't think we would have finished higher? Defensively he doesn't offer much (other than pointing) and offensively we need much better - how many goals has he scored in the past three years? Two?
Does Deadbat keep a running player rating? Would love to know what his average score would be for the past three years.

If we had a Doyle in LCM last year, you don't think we would have finished higher? Defensively he doesn't offer much (other than pointing) and offensively we need much better - how many goals has he scored in the past three years? Two?
Does Deadbat keep a running player rating? Would love to know what his average score would be for the past three years.

We might have done. There’s no way for either of us to say either way.

I’m not sure what Doyle has to do with it anyway, I’ve just said that if he was fit Fleck might not be starting. You were advocating replacing him with a player who you haven’t seen since he last played for Swansea, in 2018/19. Since then Fleck has contributed to us finishing 9th in the Prem.

We might have done. There’s no way for either of us to say either way.

I’m not sure what Doyle has to do with it anyway, I’ve just said that if he was fit Fleck might not be starting. You were advocating replacing him with a player who you haven’t seen since he last played for Swansea, in 2018/19. Since then Fleck has contributed to us finishing 9th in the Prem.

I am basing my decision off Flecks play and what I do recall of Fer when he played at Swansea. If our scouting staff identified Fer as a short term solution for our midfield, then I am all for it.

I am basing my decision off Flecks play and what I do recall of Fer when he played at Swansea. If our scouting staff identified Fer as a short term solution for our midfield, then I am all for it.

That was at least 3 years ago though. At that same time Fleck was demonstrably better. Our current manager has identified Fleck as being good enough for our first team but you obviously disagree.

That was at least 3 years ago though. At that same time Fleck was demonstrably better. Our current manager has identified Fleck as being good enough for our first team but you obviously disagree.

Ohhhh don't bring our beautiful manager into this.... Nothing but love for Hecky. It will be interesting to see who he starts when we have our squad healthy.

That being said, I think we all want the team to succeed. We may have a difference of opinion on who should be playing but if we can get that promotion than that's all that matters to me. UTB!

Last edited:
Ohhhh don't bring our beautiful manager into this.... Nothing but love for Hecky. It will be interesting to see who he starts when we have our squad healthy.

That being said, I think we all want the team to succeed. We may have a difference of opinion on who should be playing but if we can get that promotion than that's all that matters to me. UTB!
Can't see us going for players at the end of there career,unless he shows real commitment he would not be what we want.

Possibly 2+2=5 but given Brugge's progression in the Champs League, I wonder whether there is an increased likelihood of Berge leaving in Jan and therefore Utd are progressing alternative options. Links to more midfielders in the coming weeks would be a good indicator.

The level of sh1thousing would certainly increase if he were to be signed. Imagine playing against him and McB?!?!

Last edited:

Respect for players and having an opinion as to how well a player has been in a match are not mutually exclusive.
I don’t think he has played well since he came back from injury, but I respect what he has done and hope he will improve over the coming months.

Currently alanyaspor in Turkey, would be perfect to sit in front of our defence and break up play, knows English football and is also mates with mcburnie.
Why the hell would we want Leroy Fer!!??…..he’s over the hill…offers nothing or improves nothing that we don’t have already .

Respect for players and having an opinion as to how well a player has been in a match are not mutually exclusive.
I don’t think he has played well since he came back from injury, but I respect what he has done and hope he will improve over the coming months.
Fleck's been a great player for the last 6 years and will always get credit from any blades fan but I have to agree, what's he actually done in the last few games? He's been OK because he's had to play. Clearly not the same player anymore and not good enough for the top 2.

I don't really understand why our fans are so against older players being brought in short term? People keep crying we need a more athletic, tougher tackling player in the middle... Fer would be just that. Surely it's the kind of signing that helps us until the end of the season? If our recruitment team think he would be the right fit, then I don't really see an issue?

Watching players who've shone whilst wearing our colours who then lose their gloss is one of a football supporters most disappointing expectations.

Both Fleck and Stevens have at one time been integral players for the Blades. For a while Enda was little short of superb, a joy to watch as he displayed standards that could only be described as exceptional. Similarly, Fleck's contribution to our rise was to drive our midfield to levels we hadn't seen for many years, especially the midfield of Fleck, Duffy and the great Coutts. Some plyers manage to maintain their existing high standards until it's obvious that their time was at an end.

Currently we have a loanee, Doyle, whose contributions have pointed to what we need, dynamic, thoughtful and quickly becoming a shoo-in. We may not be able to sign Doyle, but it's this type of player who will strengthen our squad. He's certainly someone I'd back as the next chapter in our development.

Back
Top Bottom