Len Badger

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

We've lost a true sufc legend and a smashing bloke .and at the match tomorrow I hope the only tribute /gesture is to sir Len .he lived and breathed the blades
I hope the club has managed to get the footage of Len's goal against Ipswich Town from Yorkshire Television to show in the ground tomorrow ;)

A long time since we put 7 past anyone.

I no longer live in Sheffield and today was shopping with family in local town and decided to pop into “antiques” shop/flea market and came across box of programmes - obviously left by a Coventry city ☹️ supporter. I had to see if there was a blades programme and found only one from Dec 23rd 1967 v Cov at BDTBL. (Game we won 2-0, thanks to scribbling of original programme owner!)
Inside front cover on first page where manager today writes his ramblings was written this….

Couldn’t believe the coincidence

Attachments

• FEC76033-6F99-443D-9691-6D27FD8EE538.jpeg
    FEC76033-6F99-443D-9691-6D27FD8EE538.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 48
  • DB4C0E82-B7B0-4DD1-8251-3335CC537C95.jpeg
    DB4C0E82-B7B0-4DD1-8251-3335CC537C95.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 48
I hope the club has managed to get the footage of Len's goal against Ipswich Town from Yorkshire Television to show in the ground tomorrow ;)

A long time since we put 7 past anyone.
It wont be possible. The reason why Yorkshire TV didnt include the 7 Ipswich goals into the YTV 1968 to 1981 video when they produced it in 1993 was because of the poor film quality. The first 4 goals in the 1st half was televised in colour but it was decided during half time that they would televise the 2nd half in black and white as you can see from 16 mins 6 secs in below video of our 6th and 7th goal of the Ipswich game (Woody's 3rd and 4th goal). These two goals are the only goals from that Ipswich game I have seen on tv since Nov 1971.

It wont be possible. The reason why Yorkshire TV didnt include the 7 Ipswich goals into the YTV 1968 to 1981 video when they produced it in 1993 was because of the poor film quality. The first 4 goals in the 1st half was televised in colour but it was decided during half time that they would televise the 2nd half in black and white as you can see from 16 mins 6 secs in below video of our 6th and 7th goal of the Ipswich game (Woody's 3rd and 4th goal). These two goals are the only goals from that Ipswich game I have seen on tv since Nov 1971.

I have to say I don’t need to see it
It’s etched on my memory for ever
RIP SIR len❤️

I no longer live in Sheffield and today was shopping with family in local town and decided to pop into “antiques” shop/flea market and came across box of programmes - obviously left by a Coventry city ☹️ supporter. I had to see if there was a blades programme and found only one from Dec 23rd 1967 v Cov at BDTBL. (Game we won 2-0, thanks to scribbling of original programme owner!)
Inside front cover on first page where manager today writes his ramblings was written this….

Couldn’t believe the coincidence
Wonderful regarding Len Badger.

The subsequent development fund piece regarding investment in model railways is just further proof of the parochial way in which a club with potential has so often been miserably managed!

RIP Len Badger. Really lovely guy. Blade through and though. Always smiling. Very approachable. Always a joker.
There's a very interesting story in Alan Hodgkinsons book. The team had gone on a tour of South America. They were put up in a hotel where all the bedrooms looked out onto the swimming pool which was surrounded by loads of parrots in cages. No one could sleep at night because of the screeching these parrots made all night.
On the last night there was the usual player piss up. Hodgy was getting into bed in the early hours when he noticed the parrots were steadily going quiet. He opened his curtains to see why.
Below him was Len Badger and another player , going round each cage and pissing on each parrot!!!!
It worked! They were quiet all night.
On TC s this is your life night, I approached Len and said ' Is it true that....' before I could get any more words out he immediately replied 'yes!!' and laughed out loud. When I continued with the story he confirmed it was true. But he couldn't remember who the other player was.

Proud to say that Len, like me was Darnall born and bred.
Just another Blade who idolised that 1971 team.
Remember going to his testimonial v. Wendy, think there were 22k there.
RIP Len - Blades legend
Wasn't Gordon Banks from Darnall too? Or was he from Tinsley?

Just checked, born Abbeydale (moved to Tinsley, then to Catcliffe).

Last edited:
Just adding my condolences and respect to the passing of Len...A lot of my early memories were watching him and Woody when they were making their way as youngsters in the team..RIP Len, Blades legend, and gave us some great memories watching with my Dad..sad news.

Much respect to Len and condolences to his family...special player who would and should have been a England regular - Maybe if playing for a more fashionable team....
RIP....

Wasn't Gordon Banks from Darnall too? Or was he from Tinsley?

Just checked, born Abbeydale (moved to Tinsley, then to Catcliffe).
Gordon Banks was always associated with Tinsley where his dad Lol Banks had a betting shop. Suppose that because people in east Sheffield wanted him as 'one of our own'.
Strange that Gordon grew up supporting neither Sheffield teams, as a child of the sixties every lad choose one or (if deluded lol) the other

Gordon Banks was always associated with Tinsley where his dad Lol Banks had a betting shop. Suppose that because people in east Sheffield wanted him as 'one of our own'.
Strange that Gordon grew up supporting neither Sheffield teams, as a child of the sixties every lad choose one or (if deluded lol) the other
Typical that our scouts missed him, but Chesterfield's didn't!

Not sure if this has been mentioned but there's a webstream of his funeral today

Not sure if this has been mentioned but there's a webstream of his funeral today

Hope it's better quality than the one I watched for a fellow Blade recently from Grenoside, that was almost unwatchable because of constant freezing.

One of the greatest players and ambassadors ever to play for the club. The late 60s early 70s was the era where we had a fantastic side capable of beating the top teams.

One of a special group of players who only ever wanted to play for their beloved Blades even when bigger clubs offers came along.

I trust that no true Blade would bother me about copyright on this sad day :

Attachments

• Len Badger 1 of 6.jpg
    Len Badger 1 of 6.jpg
    869.3 KB · Views: 27
  • Len Badger 2 of 6.jpg
    Len Badger 2 of 6.jpg
    878 KB · Views: 25
  • Len Badger 3 of 6.jpg
    Len Badger 3 of 6.jpg
    878.8 KB · Views: 20
  • Len Badger 4 of 6.jpg
    Len Badger 4 of 6.jpg
    864.5 KB · Views: 18
  • Len Badger 6 of 6.jpg
    Len Badger 6 of 6.jpg
    800.5 KB · Views: 17
  • Len Badger 5 of 6.jpg
    Len Badger 5 of 6.jpg
    882.4 KB · Views: 26
Nice farewell for sir Len from the lane ,we will be raising a glass tonight for one of the true blade legends .

Back
Top Bottom