Len Badger

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

It's coming up to 50 years since I started watching the Blades. That means I was lucky enough to see the cracking side we had in the early 70s. Woody & TC were my top two players from that time, as they were for most Blades, but I've always thought that Len Badger was the next best player in that team.

I was there for the 7-0 win over Ipswich and, if I remember it correctly, his goal was the best of the seven - lobbing the keeper from a long way out.

Definitely one of our all-time greats.
Was there for that match as well. You are bang right, he really was Mr dependable but oh so much more. RIP Len, thanks for the memories.UTB.

Really sad news. One of my early favourite players. Sad to see another go from the great early seventies team. I remember Len hitting the bar against Everton at Goodison Park in the 74/75 season. The ball rebounded halfway up the pitch and Everton went on to score to make it 2 0. The bar was still shaking. At least that day we came back to win 2 3. RIP Len a true Blades legend.

In an end-of-season game with nothing at stake, 2 crossings-out in the programme announced the beginning of the careers of 2 young full-backs. Both were excellent, and from that beginning,12 years later, Len Badger had played over 500 games for Utd, to the highest standards. All completed in the twinkling of an eye; and now the man himself has gone. Truly a sad day.
View attachment 113393View attachment 113394
This week we saw a young right wing back (that's the new terminology), Seriki make his first appearance.

It would do the lad a lot of good if someone (say Billy) had a word with him about Badg. and the affection the fans have for him after all these years

If he could be half as good then most of us would be delighted.

Been down in Cornwall this week and only just seen this, he was a firm favourite of mine amongst those great players in the 70s. His big toe will live on in our house 😥

Going back to 70's I was working at WE Franklins in loading bay, I got a call to go to reception, I got there and stood there was Sir Len of the Badger's, I rubbed my hands clean on my trousers and shook him by the hand.

Apparently receptionist told him I was a massive Blade and would love to meet him, she was spot on.

My Old man says I seen Badger play, I don't remember I was just a Nipper, Old man says he was the best Right back He's seen at the lane.

R.I.P Len, Proper Lane Legend

I thought that was a song then!

Needs to be a minutes silence / applause on Sunday.

Classiest player I’ve seen in a United shirt and a very nice bloke as well. If he’d played for Man U rather than Sheff U he would have been an England regular for years.
At the time right backs like his predecessor Cec Coldwell and contemporary in S6 Don Megson were all gentlemen.

An earlier poster said there was no mention on an afternoon version of Look North. I've just watched the evening edition and again not even the slightest mention / referral. A complete and utter fucking disgrace. But Pablo Hernandez has played his last game for Leeds so let's publicise that.

An earlier poster said there was no mention on an afternoon version of Look North. I've just watched the evening edition and again not even the slightest mention / referral. A complete and utter fucking disgrace. But Pablo Hernandez has played his last game for Leeds so let's publicise that.
Nothing on ITV Calendar either. Disgrace.

Nothing on ITV Calendar either. Disgrace.
Yeah, just spoke to my dad and he’s well pissed off about that. Went on a rant about how they didn’t shut up about a lot of Leeds players when they went and “Jack Charlton got a full bloody programme”

Last time I saw Len was on the Sheffield to Lincoln train a few years ago, when he was ferrying cars back and forth for a dealer. Len has died on the same day as Chris Chilton, who if my memory serves me correctly both played in the infamous game versus Hull City, when the ref had to stop the action and call the captains together for a "calm it down lads speech". Someone might correct me on that one but either way my thoughts are with both Len and Chris's families.

By way of a tribute:

A goalkeeper who doesn't need gloves - Mervyn Day, two sides going at it with no play acting, rolling around or trying to get an opponent sent off, fantastic accurate long distance passing by the Blades, how to take threatening corners (Alan Woodward), how to use the outside of the boot - Alan Woodward, hard and firm shooting - Alan Woodward and most of the United team, no BAME footballers - the changing face of football, an era of decent British players (now gone for good) in a top flight contest.

Premier League - stuff it, twas better then albeit the pitches are better now.

Back
Top Bottom