Len Badger

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Just watched BBC Look North. They mentioned (quite rightly) that Barnsley legend Eric Winstanley died yesterday. Len Badger? Not a dicky bird.

A true legend fantastic defender RIP Mr Badger, it was a pleasure to meet you many moons ago xx

The Badger, Hemsley complimentary full-backs partnership was a footballing beauty to behold.

View attachment 113368

Dropped into a Dronfield pub once and was pleasantly surprised to find this legend as landlord behind the bar!
I think my mate Craig & I are stood a few feet to Len's right (out of shot).
Was Len's testimonial the one where Shilton played in goal for W*****day?

Some recognisable names there along with Len.

Barry Fry David Pleat and Ron Harris for England. Bobby Moncur for Scotland.
Yes. Also Jim Forrest who scored two goals for Scotland that day and Paul Madeley was a reserve.
Page below from the same programme. Amusing now to see Barry Fry described as "fast off the mark and tricky"

It's coming up to 50 years since I started watching the Blades. That means I was lucky enough to see the cracking side we had in the early 70s. Woody & TC were my top two players from that time, as they were for most Blades, but I've always thought that Len Badger was the next best player in that team.

I was there for the 7-0 win over Ipswich and, if I remember it correctly, his goal was the best of the seven - lobbing the keeper from a long way out.

Definitely one of our all-time greats.

When John Harris realised he had to break up that defence of Coldwell, G. Shaw, Richardson, J. Shaw and Summers he replaced them with youngsters from the juniors.

Harris used an assortment of players but couldn't quite get the correct formula.

Apart from one. Len Badger replaced Cec Coldwell and made that right full back spot his own.

It was the only position in that defence where there was a smooth transition from that early 1960's side and that promotion winning side of 1971.

He became a 'first name on the team sheet' player.

RIP Len.

That one was a bit early for me, I really started to go around 1972 -73. I've been tracking through some stuff and found that on Oct 26th 1974 we beat Birmingham 3-2 at home but can't trace any finer details..... To add to an earlier poster really do think Len Badger Stand is wholly appropriate for the Club and this man.
What about his goal in the 2-1 win against Chelsea in February 1975? See link below

In an end-of-season game with nothing at stake, 2 crossings-out in the programme announced the beginning of the careers of 2 young full-backs. Both were excellent, and from that beginning,12 years later, Len Badger had played over 500 games for Utd, to the highest standards. All completed in the twinkling of an eye; and now the man himself has gone. Truly a sad day.
0A1E8F3C-A3CB-4455-AFEA-DF1BEAC2681B.jpegA43C4B27-87D1-4D13-BA04-D69B624CF0F7.jpeg

Certainly went to that game. Butch Wilkins was Chelsea skipper and looked about 11. They also had Micky Droy in the side who was the biggest player I've ever seen. This might well be the goal I remember. Cheers pal.

I was at the game. It was a comical sight when Droy was taken off, he was about 6 inches longer than the stretcher

Len was a true legend of the Lane
He was a tremendous right back excellent defensively but also great in an attacking sense would have been a great wing back in todays game, he should have been capped for England but like others that have played for us was overlooked by the establishment
He was one of my favourite players along with Woodward, Currie and Dearden in that great 70s team
RIP Len

Back
Top Bottom