League One Wes

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The save he made just before Doucoure scored was unbelievable, from where he started, easily as good as the first of Pickford’s double saves. Unfortunately Doucoure reacted quicker than anyone else and got to the rebound.

Early days, but surely he has to be one of the best in the league on current form.
Was thinking this this morning, he’s been absolutely superb, he’s a great pro and just keeps getting better, he could become, Kelly and Tracy levels of iconic.

Wes is one of the only keepers we've had who's the first name I'd put down when picking a team. He's calm and composed and oozes confidence. He's been one of my favourite United keepers. I'd put Paddy Kenny ahead of him for stopping shots. Kenny made some unbelievable saves. Like Wes his distribution wasn't his strongest point.

I reckon as a shot stopper there arent many better than Wes

But it aint just shot stopping to be a top Goalkeeper

Wes is Ok with the ball at his feet and ok at commanding a box IMO

No doubt he is No1 though
What much else do you want him to do? He’s got great positional sense too.

Early days but he is leading the league in terms of post-shot expected goals prevented so far. Effectively each shot taken is weighted based on the quality of the shot and this is compared to actual goals conceded to measure shot stopping ability (which is more sophisticated than just looking at save % rates). Interesting who is bottom too!

1693862049196.png

Early days but he is leading the league in terms of post-shot expected goals prevented so far. Effectively each shot taken is weighted based on the quality of the shot and this is compared to actual goals conceded to measure shot stopping ability (which is more sophisticated than just looking at save % rates). Interesting who is bottom too!

View attachment 170371
Rammers is pish, he'll be on the bench watching Raya soon, then throwing his toys out of the pram asking for a move.

I remember getting shat on for slagging off Ramsdale in the season from hell
I thought I was the only one of two defending him on here the other was his brother or father, whoever it was was clearly a family member.
Anyway glad we persevered as we got our money back on him plus a bonus, disgraceful actions when he didn't initially get the move he wanted and now I only ever want to see him at the lane picking the ball out of the net for the opposition.

Not parry the ball out for a tap in next time

“ Parry the ball out “ ? Get real .

If Wes’ superb reaction save falls into that category then so does Seaman’s against Pesch , a save considered by many to be the best ever in English football .

Try to put aside any previous misguided opinions you may have had about our present goalkeeper and take pleasure in the fact that at at very little cost , we have one who ranks among some of our very best.

I remember getting shat on for slagging off Ramsdale in the season from hell,
Hi Stegosaurus here,

I said he was shit first. And everybody called me a pig for it.

Then, said "See, he isn't shit!" when he had a run of 5 games were he didn't drop a clanger and Arsenal, under the influence of copius amounts of coke no doubt, decided to sign him.

Then when he badmouthed us, everybody finally agreed with me that he was shit.

Wes over ramsdale anyday. Oh, and Wes's 'parry the ball out' was a point blank save that he did well just to keep out, which ramsdale would have probably let in first time..

Well why is ramsdale in the England squad no1 for the second best team in the land and playing champions league football

Where’s wes is at the lane

I love Wes but you need to take your bladey blade sunglasses off

“ Parry the ball out “ ? Get real .

If Wes’ superb reaction save falls into that category then so does Seaman’s against Pesch , a save considered by many to be the best ever in English football .

Try to put aside any previous misguided opinions you may have had about our present goalkeeper and take pleasure in the fact that at at very little cost , we have one who ranks among some of our very best.

It was a decent save but ultimately led to a goal

Also fans favourite George baldock who can get no criticism lost his man for the goal

Just been objective of course

Always makes me laugh....how he'll have a good game and "he's fantastic...one of the best ever....future legend"
The week after...he'll make a blunder and it's "he's league 1 level and we should be replacing him"

The truth is somewhere in between.
I'd say he's a good Championship to (at best) upper Championship level goalie.
Ideally (if we were rich) we could do with upgrading him whilst in the PL but we have far higher priorities....so he's good enough to face the season ahead.

Hi Stegosaurus here,

I said he was shit first. And everybody called me a pig for it.

Then, said "See, he isn't shit!" when he had a run of 5 games were he didn't drop a clanger and Arsenal, under the influence of copius amounts of coke no doubt, decided to sign him.

Then when he badmouthed us, everybody finally agreed with me that he was shit.

That’s because he isn’t shit stegosaurus

Always makes me laugh....how he'll have a good game and "he's fantastic...one of the best ever....future legend"
The week after...he'll make a blunder and it's "he's league 1 level and we should be replacing him"

The truth is somewhere in between.
I'd say he's a good Championship to (at best) upper Championship level goalie.
Ideally we could do with upgrading him whilst in the PL but we have far higher priorities....so he stays in the team for me.

I would agree with that

Nearly as funny as the people saying berge was the greatest midfielder in the history of football to then he’s useless the day he signed for Burnley

It's unfathomable that he was considered back up to Robin Olsen for a while

Robin Olsen was a weird one....he must have been 6 foot 5, apparently an international and based on appearance looked every inch a top goalie.
Where as to me......Wes always looks small with a slight frame....on wikipedia it says 6 foot 1 but he seems to look smaller.

I think a skill of a top goalie is being able to come off their line and narrow the angle, so they rarely need to make top class saves.
The best goalies make the job look easy and the defence are re-assured.

Olsen seemed to stay on his line too much....so he always looked vulnerable trying to save long range shots.
Even corners arriving on the edge of the 6 yard box always seems a danger. You'd expect the goalie to come out and either catch to or punch it
but often Olsen would stay on his line. His issue was he never built up a level of understanding with his defence and even the crowd seemed nervous too.

Back
Top Bottom