Lack of professionalism

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

18 to 35 year olds go out for a drink on a Saturday night and it's not acceptable?! When did that happen?

When we were 9th in the PL the fans would have been sucking the players off in the bars at 2am if they'd seen them.

New rule: Footballers are only allowed out for a beer if they are doing well on the pitch.
Aye fair enough but I reckon most/many of us would've thought just that at the time, 'Well okay, enjoy it but if you're going to act like that you'd best keep performing.'

It definitely looks/feels different when we've been hammered (no gag intended) every week and relegated, then underperforming as we are. That's when you need to show the right attitude and that you're buckling down isn't it??

The lack of professionalism (Moose aside) has come from the coaching staff and admin side of the club. No proper pre season has hampered, and will continue to hamper us all season. We have nowhere near the levels of fitness required for two to three game weeks. Recruitment also leaves a lot to be desired. They told us that it would be much better under their stewardship and frankly it's been terrible.
totally agree - after the mentally weakest season in recent memory - an absent owner - an unintelligible manager whose assistant is never seen at games - a disaffected squad on the highest wages they will ever earn in their career - being allowed to take the piss out of both manager & assistant/coaches ....
i would love to have seen them try to do this under :

eddie colquhoun
trevor hockey
harry bassett
vinnie jones
carl bradshaw
billy tightshirt
neil warnock
chris morgan
chris wilder
there'd be some broken noses in the squad , that's for sure

the most worrying aspect of our present predicament is that our penniless prince really doesn't "get" English football and Sheffield United's last half-century in it , which I have witnessed first hand with some pleasure but more pain.
a club with a big enough persona to have spent a lot more than 12 seasons of the last 50 in the top flight but one which is utterly shafted by the eternal incompetence of its own ownership/management , which sleepwalks into failure time & again , from a seemingly promising position.

the recruitment and the dishing out of daft contracts to players who'd had a purple patch from 2019 rang immediate alarm bells with me and my fears have proved well-founded.

Does the club even realise yet that it is in a relegation battle ?

The players certainly don't - not do they appear to have the physical or mental fighting capabilies for it.

Let's get something straight though, it wasn't acceptable when we were doing well, in my opinion. It's not acceptable for professional athletes.
To be a professional athlete you either need to be naturally gifted or very dedicated and in most cases a combination of the two.

I know players who have jobbed around in league 1/2 for 15 years+ who don't drink and have needed to not drink as they aren't as good as other players, yet PL players can get smashed every weekend and still perform.

To say all athletes shouldn't drink is a bit of a daft thing to say though.

Perhaps. But does that mean that our captain was setting a good example to our young players?
Perhaps McBurnie wasn't lying?
I agree on the going out part, should be thinking carefully about this and the example it sets (especially after a loss and poor game).

My response was that maybe they didn't have training, seeing as people are saying Billy was allegedly out at 2 am, when training was meant to be at 9 the next morning.

Mousset has always been unfit though, it's just he was scoring goals in a decent team before. Now he's fat and we're shit it's an issue that he drinks.

I'm not saying it's wrong to be upset by it, just that football fans have short memories.

Most would have let him drink champagne out of their belly button whilst fingering his bumhole at 4am on a matchday morning after the Man U game the other season. Now it's not acceptable for him to drink because he's crap and we are.
So because he’s always done it thats ok ? Regarding mousset,even when he had the cult hero status 18 months ago I think you will find a lot of fans found it frustrating he still couldn’t complete a game.Times like this the players need to be buckling down.Let’s not forget they are already playing catch up with no pre season.

But don’t you think it’s a valid point though.Add to the fact we look the most unfit team in professional football this season.If they are performing still on the pitch and look fit “great knock yourselves out” but they are dreadful and look in terrible condition.
we have gone from being one of the fittest teams in the Prem (we did the first PL season on fitness as much as overlapping CBs) - to being one of the physically weakest teams in the Championship.
we couldn't keep up with Blackburn on Saturday as they ran through us like a knife through hot butter.
we are embarrassingly powder-puff and the biggest soft touch in the division
once other teams realise that we are not "a tough PL team looking to get immediate promotion" , but a "shot-to-shit bunch of pussies" , our results will get worse coz they will attack our weaknesses like Blackburn did.

we have gone from being one of the fittest teams in the Prem (we did the first PL season on fitness as much as overlapping CBs) - to being one of the physically weakest teams in the Championship.
we couldn't keep up with Blackburn on Saturday as they ran through us like a knife through hot butter.
we are embarrassingly powder-puff and the biggest soft touch in the division
once other teams realise that we are not "a tough PL team looking to get immediate promotion" , but a "shot-to-shit bunch of pussies" , our results will get worse coz they will attack our weaknesses like Blackburn did.
Pretty much yeh

To be a professional athlete you either need to be naturally gifted or very dedicated and in most cases a combination of the two.

I know players who have jobbed around in league 1/2 for 15 years+ who don't drink and have needed to not drink as they aren't as good as other players, yet PL players can get smashed every weekend and still perform.

To say all athletes shouldn't drink is a bit of a daft thing to say though.
I'm not talking about having a drink, albeit that should be done sensibly. I'm talking about getting drunk.

If you're a PL player getting drunk and performing you'd be a PL player performing better if you weren't getting drunk.

If you're quite happy that Sheffield United drop points and concede goals, while playing worse football, just so the players can go and get smashed on a Saturday night then, fair enough.

Footballers get paid a lot of money, If they're not able to perform to their best because they're getting drunk then that's a problem. If I couldn't perform my job well because I was getting drunk, then I'd be in trouble. And I'm just a pleb in an 'office'.

It's worth noting that if I, a non-athlete, do hours of training today and then drink, say, 3 pints tonight, I would lose some of the benefits I would gain from that cardio/strength work and it would take my body longer to recover. Even having one drink after a day of training makes that training less effective. That has a lot less impact on a non-athlete than an athlete. By drinking alcohol you're counteracting the benefits of training, whether that's conditioning, recovery or recovering from an injury.

Last edited:
I'm not talking about having a drink, albeit that should be done sensibly. I'm talking about getting drunk.

If you're a PL player getting drunk and performing you'd be a PL player performing better if you weren't getting drunk.

If you're quite happy that Sheffield United drop points and concede goals, while playing worse football, just so the players can go and get smashed on a Saturday night then, fair enough.

Footballers get paid a lot of money, If they're not able to perform to their best because they're getting drunk then that's a problem. If I couldn't perform my job well because I was getting drunk, then I'd be in trouble. And I'm just a pleb in an 'office'.

If you don't agree with my point then fair enough, but you've then reverted to the "well if you're happy for our players to be crap" nonsense. Of course I want our players to be better than they are, however they were fine to get shitfaced 3 years ago because they were good, now they're not allowed because they're losing. The same players pretty much to a man.

Were you moaning when the boozing was dressed up as 'good team spirit' a few years ago?! Probably not.

If the players get hammered and play shit then it's a problem, however there's nothing to suggest that they are any better without a night on the lash, than they are with it.

They're just crap and this is just another issue that people are getting on their high horse about, like Slav's interviews.

If you don't agree with my point then fair enough, but you've then reverted to the "well if you're happy for our players to be crap" nonsense. Of course I want our players to be better than they are, however they were fine to get shitfaced 3 years ago because they were good, now they're not allowed because they're losing. The same players pretty much to a man.
I have never been happy with our players drinking (more than occasionally) during a season
Were you moaning when the boozing was dressed up as 'good team spirit' a few years ago?! Probably not.
I was. I was a 'pig' who should 'just be happy'
If the players get hammered and play shit then it's a problem, however there's nothing to suggest that they are any better without a night on the lash, than they are with it.
Science. Science says.
They're just crap and this is just another issue that people are getting on their high horse about, like Slav's interviews.

Science. Science says.
Science would also say that if someone has to forego something they enjoy it would mentally impact them.

The law also says that you can't stop people getting drunk just because they earn a lot of money.

I think ultimately the perception is, if we're winning and the lads are seen out having a few drinks it's all good (I personally draw the line a getting drunk, that should be done on the managers say so).

Maybe Slav should say to the lads if we're winning and you want to go out and enjoy yourselves, do it, but do not get drunk and don't do it less than two days before a game. If we're not producing on the pitch maybe he should say, we need to lead by example, we all need to knuckle down, work hard and show the fans we're dedicated to fixing this, you don't go out until results change.

The club are paying them a good wage, sticking to some rules regarding when they can drink isn't going to kill them. If some don't like it, they could give Chrisseh a call.

They're professional footballers and athletes. They should not be getting pissed during the season. It slows down recovery and makes any cardio/muscle work they do less effective. Have a few more drinks in summer when you have 1-2 months off.

The fact footballers are so moronic that they go out and get pissed in the centre of the city where they work is beyond stupid.
I saw this in the Vinny Jones book 'My Life' talking about his time at Bramall Lane. I wonder how many of the present players think twice about going out in the town?
IMG_1387 (2).JPG

Science would also say that if someone has to forego something they enjoy it would mentally impact them.

The law also says that you can't stop people getting drunk just because they earn a lot of money.

Look at the second point this way, if the club is spending hundreds of thousands of pounds on training and conditioning players and this work is only 65% effective because that player is drinking regularly then the drinking is impacting on their work. The same with players recovering from injury. You're also more likely to get injured in the first place if you're drinking too much.

They aren't paid to just play games. They're paid to play games, train, public appearances etc. If they're doing something which prevents them doing that properly then it's an issue which the club should be looking at.

Elite level sport is a game of fine margins.

Some athletes do absolutely anything for those incremental gains, and a growing number of footballers are teetotal.

Do i expect all our players to be teetotal? Not remotely.

Do i expect them to be out till the early hours noticeably drunk a couple of days before a game or training the next day? Absolutely not. Regardless of whether they are winning or not, this is unacceptable and unprofessional.

Feels indicative of the general malaise at the moment, where players aren't that bothered.

Anyone thinking getting shit faced two days before a game out in the small hours isn’t counter productive is basically living in cuckoo land or is stuck in the early 90s.A few drinks and some food ,fair enough.Getting turned away from bars on carver street at 4am because you can barely stand however.

Yet Billy has been 1 of the better players so perhaps a drink is helping his performance
I don't see how it would improve his performance in training a few hours later and he wasn't involved for the first 76 minutes 2 and a half days later.

What about hanky panky? Should be none of that before, after and particularly during a match.

I was told once, that if a greyhound is aroused before a race one of the stable lads has to give him a 'hand' as they're not as quick.

Maybe there's a job down the Lane for someone?

Reactions: Dkc
I was told once, that if a greyhound is aroused before a race one of the stable lads has to give him a 'hand' as they're not as quick.

Maybe there's a job down the Lane for someone?

Damn that Carpol Tunnel Syndrome! Well, that's me out....

Look at the second point this way, if the club is spending hundreds of thousands of pounds on training and conditioning players and this work is only 65% effective because that player is drinking regularly then the drinking is impacting on their work. The same with players recovering from injury. You're also more likely to get injured in the first place if you're drinking too much.

They aren't paid to just play games. They're paid to play games, train, public appearances etc. If they're doing something which prevents them doing that properly then it's an issue which the club should be looking at.
I'm sure the club are looking at as soon as their employment contract is breached and if they turn up to training or matches (or community appareances etc.) under the influence. It's pretty simple that outside of this they cannot stop the players doing what they want with their social lives as you are suggested they should do.

So because he’s always done it thats ok ? Regarding mousset,even when he had the cult hero status 18 months ago I think you will find a lot of fans found it frustrating he still couldn’t complete a game.Times like this the players need to be buckling down.Let’s not forget they are already playing catch up with no pre season.
Mousset needs to get fit, that's about it. I don't think he needs to stop enjoying himself in life though. I'd rather he cuts back on the carp food and booze but if he's got away with all his career and we were stupid enough to reward him financially for it then what incentive has he got to change now?!

I want our players to be the best they can be, however we are a lower mid-table Championship team and therefore I don't expect Ronaldo levels of professionalism from them.

Everything is shit at the moment and this is another thing that people have jumped on while the going is tough.

The club needs to start fining them a week's wages if they're caught out late the night before a game/training or pissed during the season.

Given some of our players it would be a great way to cut our wage bill....

I could be wrong but from a recent interview I think Billy or another player said Moose is the only one that gets fined amongst the group for being late. I assume he is getting fined for being unfit as well.

Back
Top Bottom