Kop needs urgent redevelopment

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Yesterday morning

Attachments

• IMG-20230710-WA0005.jpeg
    IMG-20230710-WA0005.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 222
  • IMG-20230710-WA0003.jpeg
    IMG-20230710-WA0003.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 225

Ignoring the current work going on at BDTBL. If the investment was there, you would have 2 realistic proposals.
1) Is the proposal for 2006, to extend in all directions adding seating
2) Would be the less popular one potentially however would deliver a stand without pillars in the way. Although the downside to that would be the removal/reallocation of fans. Knocking down the current "Kop stand" structure which holds approx 10,200.

Replacing the area to replicate a similar stand to the Bramall Lane stand with 2 tier stand. Rather than this being around 6,000 (3,000 each tier) the old kop space currently fits an extra "gangway" with the Kop going to gangway G and BL stand F, which will mean there will be some seats to add. With the space at the back of the Kop being that much bigger there could be the chance to make more out of each tier, if the bottom tier had 4,500 and then this was added to the top Plus there is potential of filling the gap between the South Stand and the "Shoreham Street stand" with a corner stand similar to the John Steet Corner stand adding another 900 seats. You would get the same capacity. It sounds like a lot of work however it would bring indoor catering, improved facilities, in terms of toilets etc plus a creation of a new viewing point, with the corner stand. Without the space taking cantilever stand option, this is the only other option for a "new Kop" if it was needed.

Ignoring the current work going on at BDTBL. If the investment was there, you would have 2 realistic proposals.
2) Would be the less popular one potentially however would deliver a stand without pillars in the way. Although the downside to that would be the removal/reallocation of fans. Knocking down the current "Kop stand" structure which holds approx 10,200.

Replacing the area to replicate a similar stand to the Bramall Lane stand with 2 tier stand. Rather than this being around 6,000 (3,000 each tier) the old kop space currently fits an extra "gangway" with the Kop going to gangway G and BL stand F, which will mean there will be some seats to add. With the space at the back of the Kop being that much bigger there could be the chance to make more out of each tier, if the bottom tier had 4,500 and then this was added to the top Plus there is potential of filling the gap between the South Stand and the "Shoreham Street stand" with a corner stand similar to the John Steet Corner stand adding another 900 seats. You would get the same capacity. It sounds like a lot of work however it would bring indoor catering, improved facilities, in terms of toilets etc plus a creation of a new viewing point, with the corner stand. Without the space taking cantilever stand option, this is the only other option for a "new Kop" if it was needed.
Rubbish - there are many options available for a "new" kop..............Can be any sort of design (1 tier, 2 tiers, 3 tiers, standalone structure, continuation of SS) but it will always be reliant on cash available and a willingness to see through the inevitable upheaval that such a big undertaking would cause. The cantilever option actually takes up less available space as the roof is supported from the back (where we have plenty of room) and not from the sides.

On a list of priorities and given our current financial position I think anything beyond a lick of paint wouldn't even register on a list with a hundred items on it.

In the event we get taken over by very wealthy new owners or attract huge inward investment it becomes a different situation.

The white part of the kop looks as though it’s being painted black when I’ve drove past today and the red part being done over again

This is the one area where I'm sure we'd be much better off had McCabe won the court case. The lack of infrastructure development under the Prince has been appalling given where we've been since he took control.

There is no way we'd have spent what we did on the squad in the Premier League, but ironically that's arguably made us worse off. We probably wouldn't have this whole sorry takeover affair either. So would McCabe have actually been the better option all round?

This is the one area where I'm sure we'd be much better off had McCabe won the court case. The lack of infrastructure development under the Prince has been appalling given where we've been since he took control.

There is no way we'd have spent what we did on the squad in the Premier League, but ironically that's arguably made us worse off. We probably wouldn't have this whole sorry takeover affair either. So would McCabe have actually been the better option all round?
No.

Would be a Tidy ground with Mcabe in charge, sadly we would now residing in L1 again due to his player sales👍

You’re speaking hypothetically and generating a positive.

McCabe was at the helm for many years, also whilst we were in the Premier League and also had the means, via a very large construction company to do all manner of things.

Plans were drawn up by McCabe, the ground was taken out of club ownership as was the training facility and hotel. All of which were bought back by the Prince with the clubs Premier league money or loans against it, though I’m happy to be corrected there.

McCabe was very much a shoestring owner and attempted to sell the club several times in the state it was in.

We have no idea what McCabe would’ve done had he won, but my guess on previous history would lean towards “fuck all” rather than progress the training facilities and ground.

Obviously. But it's a moot point as he wanted out. The better question is, would we have been better off with ALK capital? The answer to that is also yes if we look at their work at Burnley. The Prince doesn't have the money to do the basics. To be fair to him he's never pretended that he has.

No.

McCabe was at the helm for many years, also whilst we were in the Premier League and also had the means, via a very large construction company to do all manner of things.

Plans were drawn up by McCabe, the ground was taken out of club ownership as was the training facility and hotel. All of which were bought back by the Prince with the clubs Premier league money or loans against it, though I’m happy to be corrected there.

McCabe was very much a shoestring owner and attempted to sell the club several times in the state it was in.

We have no idea what McCabe would’ve done had he won, but my guess on previous history would lean towards “fuck all” rather than progress the training facilities and ground.

Lets be frank - If Mcabe was in charge during the season just gone, Berge and Illy would have been sold in Jan.

Oh, but we do. He would've sold lock stock and barrel to ALK capital. Previous history shows two new stands and a new academy. That's far in excess of anything the Prince has done. He also put in a shit ton of money in failed football related expenditure, especially post PL.His time was up after Wilson when he'd shut down the bank of Kev. His own words were along the lines of "the club has to stand on its own feet". In football parlance that's"I'm done".

Last edited:
Yeah. Doesn't seem positive. He might know diddly though. I guess we'll see.
No it doesn't, but we can tell that just by being out of the loop. So he may just be going along with the current mood, rather than knowing anything definitive.

So would McCabe have actually been the better option all round?
Yes more money, more experience (the important thing), and he had already done many good things with the club for those who remember what it was like before he took over. He did however do a bad thing trying to force the prince out (I do not know the ins and outs of this but with the little I know it didn't look great) and for that reason I was glad to see justice done however this has come at the expense of the Blades.

Obviously it's hypothetical but I think his record means it likely that the opposite of "fuck all" would have happened. Although COVID might have ended up scuppering any plans anyway.

We turned a profit in the Premier League seasons as it was, so with McCabe's frugality you'd have to think we'd have plenty of cash for developments plus (you'd hope) an investment in the first team to get back up once we'd inevitably been relegated.

It's impossible to say what McCabe, or alk, would have done post 2019 so it's pointless playing that game.

Obviously the improvements to the ground and academy under the McCabe era were in the main good and that's all I would ask of a new owner. Good improvements. If the Prince sold up this afternoon there's not much of a physical legacy he leaves behind outside of league mandated rules

Back
Top Bottom