King Keith

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?




Remains my favourite ever Utd player. N'Diaye was more skillful, worked harder. Loved Deane and Sharp etc. But he was my first 'hero' as a kid.
I started going regularly in 1979 so too young when Currie, Jones, Woodward
He was the best finisher we have had imo. His ability to beath the offside trap was first class. I can't ever recall him missing anything when 1-1 with the keeper.
The partnership he had with Colin Morris was just a joy to watch.
As others have said the goal against Bristol Rovers was the best I have seen live.
The chant was simple but we were able to roll it out most games 'Keith Edwards, Keith Edwards, Keith Edwards........'
 
Tell Keith he was my absolute hero growing up ...I used to get up before school to do my paper round so I could afford to go to match ( parents always skint )
He means so much more to me than these modern day wankers ....
Id love to have a pint with him one day and shake his hand .....
I'm 55 now but I still think about those special days going to the lane in the 80s
Today its just not the same ....
He won't remember it but I was lucky enough to do that a few years ago.

I used to go and watch the reserves, free on John St stand. I'd be about 16.
He used to pitch up on his own sometimes and always sat a few rows behind us, not in the fancy seats.
We got chatting to him a few times, always had time for us and was fascinating just listening to him talk about tactics and which young kids he thought would come through or not.
My first taste of being totally in awe of someone face to face.
Was a huge 'hero' to me early 80's at UTD.
Occasionally a few mates who supported other clubs would want to come to a game just to watch this bloke who scores all the time. Every single one of them wished they had him in their team. I remember one being a Newcastle fan. Glad he was with us but I reckon he would have been a huge success in their No9 shirt before Shearer. He was that good in my view.
 
Sorry diode , I hadn't seen your post.
A crazy day at Burnden Park , I recall loads of us climbing over the wall , not to avoid paying but recognising that the turnstiles couldn't cope and we'd miss half the match if we queued
No need to apologise
There's lots of stuff I don't see
Especially a bloody big asteroid heading towards ya....
 
I have a bit of a reason for starting this post. Keith still works part time and I’m lucky enough to work along side him. For those who have known him over the years will probably agree he’s very forthright and full of self confidence. This was one of the reasons he was the footballer he was.
I don’t want to say too much but I think he has recently lost a bit of his spark and I think a bit of proper recognition would give him a lift.
He constantly states he hates football today but he could tell you about every goal he ever scored from the good old days and despite what division we were in or how many attended they were definitely the good old days.
I haven’t seen him for a year or so but used to regularly chat to him in Graves Park while we were both walking our dogs. He’d had a heart operation and I seem to recall he was waiting for a hip operation. Hope he’s doing alright.
 
Remember Keith scoring against us at Hull early in the 4th division season before we bought him back. Caused a near riot in the away end in if I remember. It was one of only 4 games we lost that season.

Truth was in a lot of games in that season we were not very good. Them Keith and Colin Morris would suddenly click into action and 15 minutes later we would be 2 or 3 goals up and the game won. Probably one of the best duos I have seen along with Currie and Woodward in a United shirt.
 
Tell Keith he was my absolute hero growing up ...I used to get up before school to do my paper round so I could afford to go to match ( parents always skint )
He means so much more to me than these modern day wankers ....
Id love to have a pint with him one day and shake his hand .....
I'm 55 now but I still think about those special days going to the lane in the 80s
Today its just not the same ....
Snap
My paper round was always about affording my season ticket in the late 70s early 80s
And Edwards was my favourite player after Currie and Woodward.
 
Blackburn away 86
Lost 6-1 ...Edwards for United im sure it was a milestone goal for him
I was only 14/15 ...Great adventure with my slightly younger cousin.
I always remember us doing the conga in away end after 6th went in .

We lost 6-1. Mark Patterson, of all people, got a hat trick.

I think that was his 200th league goal.

"Ozzza ozzzza ozzza ay
Ohs a when dem Blades
Goes a marchin' in
I's a wanna be
In dat number"

Sheffield accent, Reggae dub mix - not often heard much, but hundreds of us singing it.

What da yoof might call a mash up.

It was a brilliant day and I can still recall the Blackburn fans trying to take the piss, but being completely flummoxed as to why we were celebrating so deliriously
 
Remember Keith scoring against us at Hull early in the 4th division season before we bought him back. Caused a near riot in the away end in if I remember. It was one of only 4 games we lost that season.

Truth was in a lot of games in that season we were not very good. Them Keith and Colin Morris would suddenly click into action and 15 minutes later we would be 2 or 3 goals up and the game won. Probably one of the best duos I have seen along with Currie and Woodward in a United shirt.
Bit harsh to leave Bob Hatton out of that, he was great for both of them.
 



Remember Wrexham away think he scored 4..one was a reyt free kick..everyone singing..nobody puts the ball in the net like Edwards Keith Edwards..to the tune of the campbells soup advert.
Batchelors Cup-A-Soup. I remember us singing the Edwards version at a testimonial at Saltergate in May 1986. He buggered off to Leeds that summer.
 

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Back
Top Bottom