Player Suggestion Kevin McDonald

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I see your point but its not a blanket thing for me in regards to players leaving. There's the Jamie Murphy type transfer when a player has done well for us and the time comes when its right to move up a level, similar for Harry Maguire and many more. Then there's the likes of Kevin McDonald and to appreciate where I'm coming from you need to look at the full history with him in his time with us. He joined us on trial, Donny had just rejected the chance to sign him (they were in the Championship at the time to be fair) time was running out on him to get a club as the pre-season was coming to an end. He was a tad overweight from memory, hadn't pulled up any tress in two loan spells in League One the previous season and then we gave him a contract for one season, which I would have thought he would be amazed to join us given he was heading for another League One club at best and the likes of Rochdale.

Give him his due, he played really well for us. The season ends and his contract is up and it took months to sort out, he took forever to sign it and rumours of a failed medical with Wednesday didn't help - we'll never know if that happened. Unknown to us, the contract he signed had a minimum fee release clause and I would guess that's why the deal took ages to get done because we probably didn't want that and it was a modest fee £350,000 I recall, raising to £750,000 I think. Another season goes and we missed out again. The following season Wolves come in just before the window shut and lets remember they were in the same league at the time. It all ended up well as they won the league but when he left we were both expected to be up there and I think with all things considered he could have shown some dare I say it - loyalty! Some players do show it even now.

I think with all the above in mind, it left a sour taste when he left. I take your point that players need to better themselves but there's a big difference between how Olllie McBurnie left Swansea and how McDonald's transfer came about. Just my view and I totally respect yours. The past wouldn't stop me taking McDonald back by the way if we needed him, it wasn't horrific what happened just disappointing. I think we need better though.
To be fair, at some point, putting his career and his family first has to overrule loyalty and sentiment.
This applies both ways, and CW has put the club first when choosing to let go some of the players who have played their part in our previous success?

To be fair, at some point, putting his career and his family first has to overrule loyalty and sentiment.
This applies both ways, and CW has put the club first when choosing to let go some of the players who have played their part in our previous success?

I totally get where you're coming from re the family. He obviously got a wage increase and he's had a decent career. The move still leaves sour taste though but I'm a fan and that's all.

Nah this prick can fuck off.

If we are looking at Fulham players I would sooner have Cairney.

We've already got a far better and very similar midfielder in Mr Sander Berge

Man's just a deep lying playmaker, and we have two vastly superior ones.

That puts him the Pigs price range.

Hope not. Top player and will be a great Championship signing, still.

UTB

Back
Top Bottom