CONFIRMED Kalvin Phillips

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Why?
City still paying his wages over the summer.
Blades don’t waste extra cash.
Window not open, yet.
🤷‍♂️
Brilliant! Let’s not bother paying players over the summer it’s a waste of cash. Just pay them on a match by match basis! It’s what they do in the north east counties league 4 so it’s properly good enough for Utd!
We should shut the club and just organise everything on a WhatsApp group, be loads cheaper
 



Personally, I think he’s a good signing and will add much needed quality and experience (both on and off the pitch) but I also have concerns about his injury record.

The odd gamble is ok, but we need some consistency this year.
 
Knows My Club
Knows Manager’s Crap
Keeps Massive Contract
Keeping Managers Chair
Keeps Making Cash
Kevin McCabe can
Keep my Change
King Making Chrissie
Keeping Millions Coming
Knilly Moving Change
Kalvin Massages Chris’s Ego

Yeah I’m bored. Sos.

But I’m against it.
Kalvin malingers constantly
 
Not from a lot of fans mate. Just a few jumped up know-nowts on here, who can't stand the thought that the recruitment of any sort of quality may lead to Wilder staying put longer than they'd like him to. "Sod the club, sod the team, we just want Wilder out and if that means we have to keep losing every week, so be it."

Meanwhile, back in the real world, away from this place, Blades are very much hoping we can get him to sign.
Absolute boll@#ks.
Nobody wants Wilder gone more than me, but I have accepted he's going to be here for the start of the season, there is no way that I want United to fail just so we can get rid off Wilder. Infact if the miracle did happen and he got us promoted i would be first on here saying I got it wrong.
Regards Phillips its a no Brainer comes with risks but worth taking in my view. It looks like he wants too be here so we will just have to cross our fingers and hope he can stay injury free and get a run of games. I would certainly wrap him up in cotton wool in training though after all we do have a track record of injuries in training.
 
I'm not sure I understand the antipathy towards this signing if it comes off from a lot of fans.

If we were spending a transfer fee on him then fair enough. Hell I'm not sure even the most hardened Wilder fanatic could defend Cannon for £10m, Brewster for £23m etc etc.

However on a season long loan where we will probably be paying an absolute fraction of his wages then I genuinely don't see what the issue is unless anyone on here has an in depth knowledge of our budget for the season and can prove that signing KP on loan took up budget that could supposedly have been spent better elsewhere.
It was seen as an outlandish coup when it was announced in January.

The big IF is simply his availability.

From one pass which led to a goal you can see he has quality.

If we are going for minimal signings then they have to count. A 31 Cap former England International who played for a Champions League winning team is not bad for a Championship team.

Yes, his effectiveness will be judged by his availability. But we are constantly asking for leaders and characters. Pep signed him to compete against the best in the world. Are we saying he can’t do the job against Lincoln now?

He’s an absolute first pick when fit. That’s the only potential downside so we need a capable back up too like Dan Neil or Choudhury.

Let’s be positive for once!
 
Brilliant! Let’s not bother paying players over the summer it’s a waste of cash. Just pay them on a match by match basis! It’s what they do in the north east counties league 4 so it’s properly good enough for Utd!
We should shut the club and just organise everything on a WhatsApp group, be loads cheaper
Nobody pays for a loan before they have to. It’s not difficult.
 
View attachment 239239


Pre-season or no pre-season, he’s toilet, I’d have thought the past three years (one of those literally in front of our eyes) would’ve shown that.. but hey, it’s not my brass we’re throwing down the shitter 🤷
On that basis you would not have signed McGoldrick. We saw enough to know that he could be a real asset.
He comes as part of a squad of 24/26 plus youth players, so the gamble is only irrational if the up front costs and salary are disproportionate to the likely benefit.
Much depends on who else we bring in.
 
In this new dawn of reduced resources and clever spending, he is the very antithesis of what we should be after.

Poor injury record, poor availability record, limited ceiling for further growth and development, no option of good resale value, presumably higher wages, limited recent good form.
 
On that basis you would not have signed McGoldrick. We saw enough to know that he could be a real asset.
He comes as part of a squad of 24/26 plus youth players, so the gamble is only irrational if the up front costs and salary are disproportionate to the likely benefit.
Much depends on who else we bring in.
out of interest, what have you seen to see he could be a real asset?
 
In this new dawn of reduced resources and clever spending, he is the very antithesis of what we should be after.

Poor injury record, poor availability record, limited ceiling for further growth and development, no option of good resale value, presumably higher wages, limited recent good form.
Club is up the creek with a broken paddle.
On the horns of a classic dilemma.
Do you :
Paddle like feck for the upstream financial safety of the PL , risking total destruction of your paddle
OR
Take no risks , pootle around keeping your bit of a paddle intact , knowing that the downstream rapids are slowly & inexorably drawing you ever closer to a watery oblivion ?

CoH took their risk when they bought us.
They took risk again when sacking Wilder.
And again when re-appointing him.

Signing "high-risk but quality" like Philips would suggest their need for PL asap is paramount and urgent.

Maybe they've not read our chapter on dem Football Gods
 
I'm not sure I understand the antipathy towards this signing if it comes off from a lot of fans.

If we were spending a transfer fee on him then fair enough. Hell I'm not sure even the most hardened Wilder fanatic could defend Cannon for £10m, Brewster for £23m etc etc.

However on a season long loan where we will probably be paying an absolute fraction of his wages then I genuinely don't see what the issue is unless anyone on here has an in depth knowledge of our budget for the season and can prove that signing KP on loan took up budget that could supposedly have been spent better elsewhere.
Mainly because our record on loan players being both available and effective over the last few seasons is absolutely abysmal
 
In this new dawn of reduced resources and clever spending, he is the very antithesis of what we should be after.

Poor injury record, poor availability record, limited ceiling for further growth and development, no option of good resale value, presumably higher wages, limited recent good form.

Yes but apart from that.
 
Club is up the creek with a broken paddle.
On the horns of a classic dilemma.
Do you :
Paddle like feck for the upstream financial safety of the PL , risking total destruction of your paddle
OR
Take no risks , pootle around keeping your bit of a paddle intact , knowing that the downstream rapids are slowly & inexorably drawing you ever closer to a watery oblivion ?

CoH took their risk when they bought us.
They took risk again when sacking Wilder.
And again when re-appointing him.

Signing "high-risk but quality" like Philips would suggest their need for PL asap is paramount and urgent.

Maybe they've not read our chapter on dem Football Gods
In which case, and I might be too blinkered or romantic with this...but wouldn't higher wages or an expensive loan be better saved for someone who could be a notable match winner? The CDM role is clearly important to how we play, but I think we could sign adequate, cheaper, permanent, younger options with bags more potential and a resale value.
 



out of interest, what have you seen to see he could be a real asset?
Nothing much when with us other than a few glimpses, but he was very good only a few years ago. Talent doesn’t disappear so the gamble is only his fitness and his desire to make a comeback.
Like all business decisions there is always a risk that the asset isn’t as good or effective as hoped. It comes down to the negotiation of terms, both him and Man City. If it costs us £1 then we can’t go wrong, but if we pay both too much then it is reckless: somewhere in between is where a normal business decision is made.
As I indicated previously if all our acquisitions are like him then we are gambling massively, but if he is just one of 5/6 incomers and the rest are more stable then we should be fine.
 
Surely not we’re going into administration any minute now
 
Beggars the question why would anyone buy a football club? … seriously. at our level surely its just a money pit
 
Nothing much when with us other than a few glimpses, but he was very good only a few years ago. Talent doesn’t disappear so the gamble is only his fitness and his desire to make a comeback.
Like all business decisions there is always a risk that the asset isn’t as good or effective as hoped. It comes down to the negotiation of terms, both him and Man City. If it costs us £1 then we can’t go wrong, but if we pay both too much then it is reckless: somewhere in between is where a normal business decision is made.
As I indicated previously if all our acquisitions are like him then we are gambling massively, but if he is just one of 5/6 incomers and the rest are more stable then we should be fine.
What have you seen when with West Ham and Ipswich?

I just don’t think he’s got any real desire to get back into a regular role, he’s not shown a single morsel of desire these past few years, and it could be a pretty expensive gamble in resigning him after a laughable spell with us already. Stinks of the Rodwell/Morrison signings.

Doubt it’d be costing us very little, possibly circa 30K(?) which for that kind of expenditure, I’d be wanting a genuine talent who knows what he is, not a semi retired footballer who’s best experience were getting splinters on the bench at city.
 
What have you seen when with West Ham and Ipswich?

I just don’t think he’s got any real desire to get back into a regular role, he’s not shown a single morsel of desire these past few years, and it could be a pretty expensive gamble in resigning him after a laughable spell with us already. Stinks of the Rodwell/Morrison signings.

Doubt it’d be costing us very little, possibly circa 30K(?) which for that kind of expenditure, I’d be wanting a genuine talent who knows what he is, not a semi retired footballer who’s best experience were getting splinters on the bench at city.
Not surprisingly I don’t watch matches unless we are in them.
It’s clearly a gamble, but the crucial aspect is the cost that neither of us know.
We cannot know what his state of mind is, so if he comes I will make up my mind from what I see.
 
Not surprisingly I don’t watch matches unless we are in them.
It’s clearly a gamble, but the crucial aspect is the cost that neither of us know.
We cannot know what his state of mind is, so if he comes I will make up m mind from what I see.
Fair comments, I guess I’ve already made my mind up from what I’ve seen already.
 
🤷‍♂️
JRS
MGW
McAtee
BBD #1
Souttar
Tommy Doyle
Ben Davies was also solid.
I'm talking everything post 22/23 as last few years. JRS only played 1700 minutes, Souttar and BBD half a season each.

We have also had

Larouci
Thomas
Archer
McAtee v2
Holgate
BBD v2
Gilchrist
Choudhury
Holding
Soumare
Godfrey
Barry
Bindon
Ogbene
Phillips
Hoever
Hjelde

That's just very expensive squad filler
 
17 matches from signing to the end of season.

Played 3. Sent off in one. Injured for the rest of the season.

That’s why we are signing him.

Maybe he costs nothing, I don’t know but that loan spell should have seen us distance ourselves from any future move.

Loved to be proved wrong though ( at the end of next season).
 
🤷‍♂️
JRS
MGW
McAtee
BBD #1
Souttar
Tommy Doyle
Ben Davies was also solid.
We've had some good players absolutely.
But, availability? What do you get a season? Upto 5 loans?
Your list goes 4 years back, thats means we only get 1 in 5 right. Its not great
 



All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Back
Top Bottom