CONFIRMED Kacper Lopata leaves for Southend

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

He should have been in the first team instead of Davies.
Based on what? He’s way off championship standard, we are offering him a contract for his potential and in the hope he progresses in the next year or two. If he doesn’t progress and improve he will not be good enough for our first team.

Not good enough for me, might be tall and strong but with how we play we need ball players too.

Not bothered

He's seemed a decent sort previously

Utd need to look after potential assets like this, and we fucked him around last season, as with Jebbo

If I was him I'd be hesitant with the contract too

How was Jebbo fucked around? He got opportunities in a promotion-chasing Championship side. From his minutes on the pitch, he didn't warrant any more opportunity than he got. He's come back to pre-season looking like he has a point to prove which shows a great attitude from him and is great for us. No fucking around, that's just professional football at this level. Time on the pitch isn't given out for free.

Recalling Jebbo from a fruitful loan spell with so little intention to properly involve him would count as fucked around in my book

It surely set back his development

Let's get this straight, the way we handle youth players is not always good. Ask Seriki or Broadbent. Imagine being forced to go to Belgium to languish in a reserve team? Just because the owner has both clubs.

I really don't care if a player likes the opposition scoring in a friendly where the result is meaningless. Who cares. Proper overreaction on here.

It concerns me that we've apparently got a few younger players who aren't happy. Given developing them is our master plan and players talk. It's hardly going to help us attract players. Especially given the fact we have unimpressive facilities and Academy.

Let's get this straight, the way we handle youth players is not always good. Ask Seriki or Broadbent. Imagine being forced to go to Belgium to languish in a reserve team? Just because the owner has both clubs.

I really don't care if a player likes the opposition scoring in a friendly where the result is meaningless. Who cares. Proper overreaction on here.

It concerns me that we've apparently got a few younger players who aren't happy. Given developing them is our master plan and players talk. It's hardly going to help us attract players. Especially given the fact we have unimpressive facilities and Academy.
It isn’t unexpected that we will have an occasional impasse with these lads. I’m not aware there are other disgruntled players.

Easy to make something of him not going to Portugal but he didn’t come on tour because he wasn’t needed for first team duty. Gomis and Gordon went because Anel was close and they needed someone who could play both RCB/CB in Gordon and LCB in Gomis. Broadbent was playing at a higher level than Seriki and Lopata and for Neal, we were a little short on central midfield options.

If he’s made the decision he wants to be contracted to a club and playing for that same club and not being nomadic for a few years, whilst waiting for Egan to lose his spot then, that is unfortunate but was always a possibility.

Problem is that we are not Crewe. We don’t operate at a low enough level with low aspirations. We are also retaining an aim to hit the top level again. Only by him proving he could excel in League One or eventually perform at Championship level will he get a chance. To do that he has to go elsewhere. Ideally for us on loan. For him, he possibly doesn’t mind.

But we’re unlikely to chuck away results while he learns on he job. We simply don’t need to. We have more ready made players.

Literally every club in the country, Man U with Hendo an example, ties down their asset before sending somewhere it may appreciate.

Hopefully he comes around. If we saw a Polish U21 defender at 6’4” available for next to nothing we’d be saying that’s the sort we should look at as an eventual successor to Egan. Ideally he signs for 3 more years and goes to somewhere like Plymouth on loan and does well there. If we don’t go up he has a chance for consideration next term. If he does then he’s hopefully be loaned to the Championship. There aren’t so many 22 year old centre backs playing their trade in the Championship or Premier League. He has time.

I think we should just all blame YorkBlade if he doesn’t re-sign 😄

I’d suspect we have more young players who are happy than not.

I’d also suspect that every club in the county have at least some players who are unhappy. It’s only natural when people are involved.

I don’t think that being unhappy gives people the right to act unprofessionally. Airing your dirty laundry in public is never a good move. It is more likely to come back and hurt them more than the club.

He could always hire Marc McCuntly's dad to be a professional rent-a-gob on his behalf. I'm sure owd Jim would jump at the chance...

Both Seriki& Broadbent were loaned in good faith to gain experience.
It seems purple rain!! didn't play ball.Seriki was brought back after this was cut short,(no game time).
Or maybe they felt they wernt good enough to grab a shirt.
Lessons will be learned I would think.

The Seriki thing is a bit of a shame but I don't think it's evidence of a systemic failure. I don't think many people at the time were too upset that he was going to be in the first team squad of a Belgium first division team. No one saw their implosion coming.

Based on what? He’s way off championship standard, we are offering him a contract for his potential and in the hope he progresses in the next year or two. If he doesn’t progress and improve he will not be good enough for our first team.
Based on what? He's arguably as good as Gordon. Can see why he'd be pretty fucked off all things considered.

If you're looking at Twitter on a phone or tablet it's perfectly possible to 'like' something by mistake as you scroll past it and not realise you've done it. Either way, I suspect it may be 'unliked' pretty quickly.
One did this when I like a pic of some naked ladies having a special cuddle.

That’s what I told my missus anyway 😉

Recalling Jebbo from a fruitful loan spell with so little intention to properly involve him would count as fucked around in my book

It surely set back his development

He was recalled because we had a mountain of injuries in his position, but even with that his performances on the pitch didn't warrant more time than he got - He was called back and ultimately didn't take his chance. That one isn't on the club or manager.

Edit: Just to be clear I'm not slating Jebbison either, it was obvious he was putting the effort in.

Last edited:
The option is available to any player coming to the end of their contract to fuck off if they're not happy. IMO a player in his position, with so little time in and around the first team squad shouldn't be trying to hold the club to ransom.

Based on what? A player deemed good enough as Liverpool back up or a player deemed good enough to be sent out to non league? (with due respect to Southend)

Lopata has a choice and is entitled to it, in the same way Ndiaye had last season. Fortunately the Ndiaye situation was resolved and we’ve retained a major talent. Maybe Lopata could be another one?

Can we really afford to be so dismissive towards him? A young lad who has impressed on the rare occasions we’ve seen him in a United shirt, who excelled on loan at Southend last season for both his performances and attitude.

If Lopata’s not going out on loan then we should have taken him to Portugal. End of. Sounds like this is a battle with no winner at present.

He was recalled because we had a mountain of injuries in his position, but even with that his performances on the pitch didn't warrant more time than he got - He was called back and ultimately didn't take his chance. That one isn't on the club or manager.

Edit: Just to be clear I'm not slating Jebbison either, it was obvious he was putting the effort in.
I agreed with recalling him at the time

I agree he didn't take his chance, he was surprisingly disappointing

But how much of a chance was it really? Minimal - few mins here and there

It was a good spell at Burton and if we didn't intend to use him quite a lot we should have kept him there and let him score 15+

I think it could go differently for him this time round though, would be no shock if he had a big impact

The option is available to any player coming to the end of their contract to fuck off if they're not happy. IMO a player in his position, with so little time in and around the first team squad shouldn't be trying to hold the club to ransom.
Who's said he's trying to hold the club to ransom?

Based on what? He's arguably as good as Gordon. Can see why he'd be pretty fucked off all things considered.
Yeah based on what, I’m basing my view on him after watching him up at the academy, that he was also offered as a loan and as with all players offered scouts will watch them in the u23 games, it’s telling that only a club down the bottom of the conference said yeh we’ll take him. He’s a big tough lad who will tackle and head anything, not particularly fast, not very bright with his positional sense, often skinned in a one on one, and overall technically he could be better. But stick him in a lower league when it’s just purely defending and he will head everything and do ok. Stick him in the championship and he will be found out. That being said he could have improved a lot from being at Southend so I am not writing him off. As for him being as good as Gordon, well I don’t believe he is ready for sustained championship football also, but Gordon didn’t take his spot over there, Lopata probably would have gone to Portugal but it would have been instead of Gomes I reckon anyway. There is a reason we are trying to find another centre half, whether that be Clark or some young loanee (we were after Cresswell) it is because our staff don’t have faith with our young centre backs over a long period, yes they could step in for the odd game here and there and rise to the occasion, stick them in for a run of games like 6 on the trot and they get found out. Gordon, Lopata, Gomes, all need to be out on loan next season. My opinion which means diddly squat is right now none of them are good enough but they are at the age where literally in the space of a few months playing regularly they improve massively, they won’t get that with us so all need to go out on loan. Obviously Lopata can’t do that while this disagreement continues.

These sort of things come up in every workplace, particularly with young people. They all talk about what they earn, some ask for more money and opportunity, some sulk in silence, some are more pushy than others. They usually can be resolved.

Spot on Haslam. This is a very difficult 'age' for top academy prospects like Lopata. Hes played first team at national league level and as you would expect he wants to continue to develop by playing first team football. That's not happening here at this stage...and might never do.

He needs a loan but the club want to protect their 'asset' hence the impasse. Same may apply to Neal, Lankshear et al. Difficult all round particularly with agents involved.

Hecky, Jack and Stu McCall watched them in training every day. Given that their jobs depend on their decisions, what have you seen that made you say that?

If Lopata’s not going out on loan then we should have taken him to Portugal. End of.
Hecky said that the youngsters taken were to fill gaps in the squad.
The trip must have cost the club a lot of money. Should we have taken Seriki, Belehouan, Brunt, Ayari, Hackford, Peck and Lankshear too?

It looks like he’s being a bit of a silly boy, but that happens. We gave Illy a nice contract in similar scenes last year, so maybe Lopata is after the same outcome.

He’ll be in League 1/2 this season anyway, either on loan from us after signing a new deal, or out on a perm. Difference being if he does well, and there’s every indication he would, if he signs with us there’s every chance he’ll be fighting for the first team here. Hopefully the sensible solution can be reached.

Back
Top Bottom