John Egan

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The whole international system is broken when it comes to this. As are several of our international players every international break. Club should be able to veto players, especially those with suspected injury problems already, taking part in what's essentially high risk moonlighting.

If you are seriously berating someone for wanting to play for their country when they think they are able to, then your ire should be directed to the medical staff of both SUFC and ROI, not Egan

Personally I think clubs need to plan ahead when it comes to international players. International dates are set a long time in advance. Clubs with international regulars should assess their fitness and if the schedule is likely to be too demanding, the club need to find games where they can have a rest.

Egan's availability has been sensational for years, but Hecky must be regretting now he didn't bring in cover/competition for him this summer.

The whole international system is broken when it comes to this. As are several of our international players every international break. Club should be able to veto players, especially those with suspected injury problems already, taking part in what's essentially high risk moonlighting.
I sort of agree but I guess this is the upshot of clubs pulling players out of international weeks for years.

Personally I think clubs need to plan ahead when it comes to international players. International dates are set a long time in advance. Clubs with international regulars should assess their fitness and if the schedule is likely to be too demanding, the club need to find games where they can have a rest.

Egan's availability has been sensational for years, but Hecky must be regretting now he didn't bring in cover/competition for him this summer.

I kind of agree Bergen, but it has to work both ways. At one point Ireland were asking Egan to play every minute of every game - even meaningless friendlies - sometimes when he was known to be carrying an injury. Ahmedhodzic fell out with Bosnia because they asked him to do the same and he told them to do one.

I kind of agree Bergen, but it has to work both ways. At one point Ireland were asking Egan to play every minute of every game - even meaningless friendlies - sometimes when he was known to be carrying an injury. Ahmedhodzic fell out with Bosnia because they asked him to do the same and he told them to do one.

100%

Egan had been in and out with injuries. Coming off in games etc. before he went on international duty and then played every second of some meaningless games.

Obviously he wants to play for his country but he probably doesn’t get injuried (imo) if he’s able to have a couple of weeks rest.

The secondary point was hecky has never done well with injuries given the state of the squad decimated by then over the last few years. He should have probably sat Egan to let him recover properly.

This has been a one off season for Egan in terms of injuries, he has hardly missed any games prior to this season, due to injuries and therefore I would like to see us offer him at leat a two year contract. However before signing him up I would like the club to have a discussion about him playing internationally. I don't think he will want to give up playing for Ireland, even though given their current state they are not qualifying for major tournaments. But if he won't give up playing for them I think the contract offer has to be reflective of this as we will need to manage his appearances, he won't be playing as much and he is more likely to get injured.

This has been a one off season for Egan in terms of injuries, he has hardly missed any games prior to this season, due to injuries and therefore I would like to see us offer him at leat a two year contract. However before signing him up I would like the club to have a discussion about him playing internationally. I don't think he will want to give up playing for Ireland, even though given their current state they are not qualifying for major tournaments. But if he won't give up playing for them I think the contract offer has to be reflective of this as we will need to manage his appearances, he won't be playing as much and he is more likely to get injured.

If he stays then he needs to have words with Ireland about him always playing 90 mins for friendlies etc. Surely Ireland have other defenders they can use.

If he stays then he needs to have words with Ireland about him always playing 90 mins for friendlies etc. Surely Ireland have other defenders they can use.
They're actually well stocked in CB aswell.

Egan
Duffy
O'Shea
Collins
Lenihan
Omobamidele

Didn’t he play two games for Ireland just before his injury?
After hobbling off injured was it at West ham! He will have been advised by our medical team to get himself right he must have ignored that advice and played 2 games for Ireland not finishing the 2nd.
Turned out for us and this is where the overload kicked in( a term for possible danger of injury used nowadays) did his tendon! . An experienced pro like him is usually given the right to make his own decisions on fitness !He didn't listen to signs he was running a tightrope fitness wise, Tom Little I'm sure would have warned him. We pay the full price of his stupidity loosing an experienced centre back not had a great start to the season but his experience would have been invaluable.
The thing is don't clubs get compensation when players get injured playing for there country?.Got injured playing for Ireland and broke down in his next match playing for us ! Blades definitely lose out always with this situation.

100%

Egan had been in and out with injuries. Coming off in games etc. before he went on international duty and then played every second of some meaningless games.

Obviously he wants to play for his country but he probably doesn’t get injuried (imo) if he’s able to have a couple of weeks rest.
Countries won't feel any international games are meaningless. They can be vital in getting a team to work and gel before the more important games. However, the two games Egan played for Ireland in September were qualifying games, against France and Holland.

Before this, Egan started the first four league games (went off injured vs Everton) and also played the full game vs Lincoln in the first round of the league cup.

1708937323950.png

So prior to the international break, Egan played three games in seven days for us.

He then played for Ireland:

1708936152427.png

After that, we rested him vs Tottenham with Hecky having a moan in the press about him playing for Ireland.

He then played the full game in the 0-8 defeat vs Newcastle (24 Sept) and went off injured at West Ham a week later.

If the cause of Egan's injury is the hectic schedule it seems harsh to put all the blame on Ireland.

Countries won't feel any international games are meaningless. They can be vital in getting a team to work and gel before the more important games. However, the two games Egan played for Ireland in September were qualifying games, against France and Holland.

Before this, Egan started the first four league games (went off injured vs Everton) and also played the full game vs Lincoln in the first round of the league cup.

View attachment 179809

So prior to the international break, Egan played three games in seven days for us.

View attachment 179808

After that, we rested him vs Tottenham with Hecky having a moan in the press about him playing for Ireland.

He then played the full game in the 0-8 defeat vs Newcastle (24 Sept) and went off injured at West Ham a week later.

If the cause of Egan's injury is the hectic schedule it seems harsh to put all the blame on Ireland.

I'd say both ourselves and Ireland are at fault although we did rest him for Spurs. They will have been made aware of his fitness prior and yet still insisted he play nearly 2 full matches. Sadly footballers will play anyway unless told not to.

View attachment 179809

View attachment 179808

As I said in my post Bergen ! An experienced pro like Egan should have known he was treading a fine line when he played them matches, I blame Egan for putting his country 1st and risking an injury,he was obviously well advised to give it a miss, Tom Little head of the fitness department and Heckie as well ! deemed it risky we pay the price in both wages and losing an experienced player! Unforgivable really!
He owes us one now !! Big time.

Apologies if I've missed it elsewhere but is Egan expected to return before the end of the season? All I've seen is that pic of him in the gym.

IMHO that would be fairly key to the decision whether to offer extended terms and, if so, at what sort of level - captain, first team regular or bit part player.

FWiW- I think his injury (and lack of capable cover) has been one of, if not the, main reason why our defence has been so poor this season. He's certainly been a big miss and I'd certainly look to retain him, as long as his injury hasn't impacted too much e.g. loss of pace (something Egan can't really afford)

I'd say both ourselves and Ireland are at fault although we did rest him for Spurs. They will have been made aware of his fitness prior and yet still insisted he play nearly 2 full matches. Sadly footballers will play anyway unless told not to.
Heard a former pro saying players almost always have some sort of niggling problem. I reckon it can be hard for the players to decide they can't play, maybe especially for Egan who's had so few serious injuries.

I had an achilles problem which I could play with, but it was always sore afterwards and the day after. It didn't go away and in the end it made me quit (low level) football.

FWiW- I think his injury (and lack of capable cover) has been one of, if not the, main reason why our defence has been so poor this season.

I would disagree. He proved he does not have the pace and quickness to handle Premier League forwards the last time we were there, let alone being three seasons older this time around. Don't think him being present would have made any significant impact. Whether we are to offer an extension is all down to whether he will be able to be a competent Championship centre back in 24/25 - and given his playstyle I don't think that is in any way beyond him

As I said in my post Bergen ! An experienced pro like Egan should have known he was treading a fine line when he played them matches, I blame Egan for putting his country 1st and risking an injury,he was obviously well advised to give it a miss, Tom Little head of the fitness department and Heckie as well ! deemed it risky we pay the price in both wages and losing an experienced player! Unforgivable really!
He owes us one now !! Big time.

I’m don‘t think it’s at all fair to say that Egan “owes us one”. Within his limitations he’s been a colossus for us for years, and until now his availability has been about as good as it gets.

Conversely, things for which we, and the club, might feel that we actually owe him, include:-

his key defensive role in virtually every game in 2018/19, in a side that was promoted to the Prem having conceded just 41 league goals;

ditto in 2019/20, in a side that finished 9th in the Prem having conceded just 39:

ditto in 2022/23, in the side promoted back to the Prem having conceded just 39.

Those are stats to which any centre-half, at any club, in any major division anywhere in the world, would be proud to have made a significant contribution. And you could extend that list in all manner of ways (his rhomboid head has also given me and mine many laughs. Oh, and his two goals in the same game at Hull, both headers, ironically enough).

* Apologies if any of those numbers are slightly off. Working from memrie, innit.

I’m don‘t think it’s at all fair to say that Egan “owes us one”. Within his limitations he’s been a colossus for us for years, and until now his availability has been about as good as it gets.

Conversely, things for which we, and the club, might feel that we actually owe him, include:-

his key defensive role in virtually every game in 2018/19, in a side that was promoted to the Prem having conceded just 41 league goals;

ditto in 2019/20, in a side that finished 9th in the Prem having conceded just 39:

ditto in 2022/23, in the side promoted back to the Prem having conceded just 39.

Those are stats to which any centre-half, at any club, in any major division anywhere in the world, would be proud to have made a significant contribution. And you could extend that list in all manner of ways (his rhomboid head has also given me and mine many laughs. Oh, and his two goals in the same game at Hull, both headers, ironically enough).

* Apologies if any of those numbers are slightly off. Working from memrie, innit.
Yep maybe I was over the top there ! Just really annoying and frustrating to be where we are and losing our most experienced centre back so early in the season.

I think some fans are forgetting Egans start to this season, he didn't exactly cover himself in glory with poor performances! Before getting injured at West Ham. Another one sadly now not at this level and will need replacing.

I think some fans are forgetting Egans start to this season, he didn't exactly cover himself in glory with poor performances! Before getting injured at West Ham. Another one sadly now not at this level and will need replacing.
None of em are "at this level" as evidenced by our results and league position.

Also, none of em are going to be replaced by players that are "at this level", and realistically there is not much need for them to be so, as we are not going to be "at this level" for much longer.

The key to our recruitment is to get a solid group of players that are good enough at the top end of the championship and to build again from there.

Whilst that sounds relatively simple it is in fact hellishly difficult to achieve as most Championship and League 1 clubs will testify.

Back
Top Bottom