John Egan - Man of Steel

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I love John Egan, and massively value what he's done for us. There are two things to his game that he can still improve on:

1. Heading from corners.
2. Leading on the pitch in terms of being vocal and bossing the defence.

If he addresses those, he has another four very good years in him at all levels of football.

Very good footballer who large sections of our fan base are dying to turn on at all times
Disagree CB. He's been rightly picked out at times, just like everyone else. His attacking headers are poor(Not for ROI) and has a mistake in him.

That said I still think he's a top championship defender at the very best.

Disagree CB. He's been rightly picked out at times, just like everyone else. His attacking headers are poor(Not for ROI) and has a mistake in him.

That said I still think he's a top championship defender at the very best.
Every time he’s not perfect he’s “not good enough” “too slow” “always out of position” etc etc

Every time he’s not perfect he’s “not good enough” “too slow” “always out of position” etc etc

As one of Egan's biggest fans can I be the first to say that he's never "not perfect" and consistently a 8-9/10.

Very good footballer who large sections of our fan base are dying to turn on at all times

The problem with Egan is basically a problem with a section of our fans.

He's clearly a steady and usually very reliable good Championship defender. He's going to be in the top 10 Championship CBs. He needs a very good and quick defender next to him in a two. Much better in a three as the 'stopper'. He isn't EPL standard unless the players around him are much better.

Pros:

Reliable
Covers well
Good positioning
Strong and solid in the air
Comfortable on the ball
Good tackler
Good judgement in the challenge
Good anticipation
Plays almost every game

Cons:

Poor fist touch which is often too heavy and puts him in trouble
Indecisive with a bouncing ball
Gets carried away and sometime and abandons defensive duties
Lack vocal leadership
Can get bullied
Slow
Poor offensive headers - often gets himself in great positions and free of a marker but lacks power

But then, some supporters get carried away about him being good enough to walk in EPL teams and put his worth at £15 million plus. He's not. He's solid. Could possibly do a job in a few EPL teams but wrong side of 30 now. And conversely, When he has a poor spell some sections go on about him being terrible.

Every team needs a John Egan. He's fine. Good to have. Way down the list of problems.

You think he’s shit, he isn’t.

Exaggeration.
I've never described him that bluntly or disrespectfully. I like Egan.
I have said that I think he's over-rated by our fans who seem to have a blind spot to a lot of his shortcomings.
He isn't the Mr. Dependable that so many think he is either.

The problem with Egan is basically a problem with a section of our fans.

He's clearly a steady and usually very reliable good Championship defender. He's going to be in the top 10 Championship CBs. He needs a very good and quick defender next to him in a two. Much better in a three as the 'stopper'. He isn't EPL standard unless the players around him are much better.

Pros:

Reliable
Covers well
Good positioning
Comfortable on the ball
Good tackler
Good anticipation
Plays almost every game

Cons:

Lack vocal leadership
Can get bullied
Slow
Poor offensive headers - often gets himself in great positions and free of a marker but lacks power

But then, some supporters get carried away about him being good enough to walk in EPL teams and put his worth at £15 million plus. He's not. He's solid. Could possibly do a job in a few EPL teams but wrong side of 30 now. And conversely, When he has a poor spell some sections go on about him being terrible.

Every team needs a John Egan. He's fine. Good to have. Way down the list of problems.

This echoes my thoughts entirely

I love John Egan, he's been a constant presence during my happiest times supporting United, and has been the driving force behind much of it. He's turned out more times than anybody this past few seasons and has been solid and dependable a lot more times than not. He's still the best defensive header of the ball I've ever seen.

I've been critical the past couple of games because he's been way off the boil, although I'm willing to cut him some slack as everybody around him has been dropping like flies, which makes it hard to adapt. I just hope he gets back to his best very soon.

Pros:

Reliable
Covers well
Good positioning
Comfortable on the ball
Good tackler
Good anticipation
Plays almost every game

Cons:

Lack vocal leadership
Can get bullied
Slow
Personally I'd say so few of us have been fisted by John Egan it's hard to hold this against him.

Exaggeration.
I've never described him that bluntly or disrespectfully. I like Egan.
I have said that I think he's over-rated by our fans who seem to have a blind spot to a lot of his shortcomings.
He isn't the Mr. Dependable that so many think he is either.

This echoes my thoughts entirely
He’s held the Defence together through a cast of ever changing colleagues, superb last ditch defender, excellent in the air, absolutely a leader and a calming presence. His ability on the ball has come on leaps and bounds since we signed him.

Remove the shut show of 20/21 and Slav and he’s led, by goals conceded the pound for pound (league defendant) best Defence in the country. But he isn’t dependable?

Just think about Neill Collins, Harrison McGahey and David Edgar for a minute, then you'll begin to appreciate how good John Egan actually is.

His attacking headers seem to be the new thing that those criticising him have latched onto. As if this is something that good defenders are usually very good at.

His attacking headers seem to be the new thing that those criticising him have latched onto. As if this is something that good defenders are usually very good at.
I would agree, but he is absolutely terrible at it. We need to swap him for someone else for when he peels off to the back post.

Mistake aside had a great game. 3-4 fantastic last ditch blocks.

I’d like to say I think John Egan is a massive unsung hero for us. Week in week out he turns out for us and Ireland. Never seems to get injured. He is the rock at the middle of our defence and the most important part of the spine of the team. Don’t think any opposition player this season has really got the better of him and that includes Harland in the FA Cup semi. Because of position he plays he never seems to get the MOM award from any of our 24SU.com “reporters” but equally never really gets below 7 rating. He just goes about his business and must take the credit for the fact we have the second best goals against in the Championship. We do get frustrated that he doesn’t get more goals for from corners but that shouldn’t detract from the rest of his game.

the man should be raised to Blades legend status and get the recognition he deserves.

I’d like to say I think John Egan is a massive unsung hero for us. Week in week out he turns out for us and Ireland. Never seems to get injured. He is the rock at the middle of our defence and the most important part of the spine of the team. Don’t think any opposition player this season has really got the better of him and that includes Harland in the FA Cup semi. Because of position he plays he never seems to get the MOM award from any of our 24SU.com “reporters” but equally never really gets below 7 rating. He just goes about his business and must take the credit for the fact we have the second best goals against in the Championship. We do get frustrated that he doesn’t get more goals for from corners but that shouldn’t detract from the rest of his game.

the man should be raised to Blades legend status and get the recognition he deserves.

The most consistent player of the last 25 years? Invaluable.

Back
Top Bottom