CONFIRMED John Brayford - Contract Mutually Terminated

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The amount of people saying that Basham could play full/wing back concerns me.

He is not a wide player, I've never seen any evidence that he can cross a ball, create a chance, or take a man on (one bit of skill v Southampton does not count!).

The only back up to Brayford in the squad at the moment is Freeman, who is more than capable of acting as a stop gap until replacement is found.

Agree. Basham had a good game when he was first tried there, scoring a header and causing problems for a small left back, and we used him as an outlet for goal kicks and long balls, but it's not his position and he should only be filling in there in emergencies.

The amount of people saying that Basham could play full/wing back concerns me.

He is not a wide player, I've never seen any evidence that he can cross a ball, create a chance, or take a man on (one bit of skill v Southampton does not count!).

The only back up to Brayford in the squad at the moment is Freeman, who is more than capable of acting as a stop gap until replacement is found.

I don't think Wilder sees Basham as a defender, he's said that hasn't he. In fact he's ruled him out of playing centre back, unless we get serious injuries and Basham has played a fair bit of football at centre back so presumably Basham is not considered for right back either - a position he hasn't played much of, unless Brayford and Freeman are injured, although maybe Basham would play above Freeman, given Freeman's on the list. I reckon we'd probably have to invest in another full back but we could no doubt use the loan market here, since Wilder's said he intends to, and use the bulk of transfer money received on centre mid, centre back and a winger. Can't see Brayford going anywhere though to be honest so we need him to find his best form again.

Out of interest, for those that went to any of the friendlies that Brayford played, how's he done? Its out only barometer this season, so far?

Out of interest, for those that went to any of the friendlies that Brayford played, how's he done? Its out only barometer this season, so far?

Poor. Especially his final ball. Particularly against Derby. If he'd had a bit more composure we would have had a few clear cut chances.

Poor. Especially his final ball. Particularly against Derby. If he'd had a bit more composure we would have had a few clear cut chances.

I heard he was crap v Derby actually from a neutral. He said who's your right back, he's awful! He's a Rangers fan and I was surprised when he said that about Brayford, because I was hoping he'd be like a new player under Wilder, but of course its pre-season, but there isn't much competition at right back and I wonder if he's a little too comfortable. Problem is we can't currently afford to bring in another right back with other areas more pressing.

I don't think Wilder sees Basham as a defender, he's said that hasn't he. In fact he's ruled him out of playing centre back, unless we get serious injuries and Basham has played a fair bit of football at centre back so presumably Basham is not considered for right back either - a position he hasn't played much of, unless Brayford and Freeman are injured, although maybe Basham would play above Freeman, given Freeman's on the list. I reckon we'd probably have to invest in another full back but we could no doubt use the loan market here, since Wilder's said he intends to, and use the bulk of transfer money received on centre mid, centre back and a winger. Can't see Brayford going anywhere though to be honest so we need him to find his best form again.

Think he looked pretty good against Derby, although almost every cross was cleared by Derby's centre halves. We were short of height going forward which meant we tried low, whipped crosses every time, which became predictable and easy to read. Someone with aerial strength will be helpful against deep defending opposition.

Think he looked pretty good against Derby, although almost every cross was cleared by Derby's centre halves. We were short of height going forward which meant we tried low, whipped crosses every time, which became predictable and easy to read. Someone with aerial strength will be helpful against deep defending opposition.

You mean LEON, LEON LEON? As you're Norwegian, I'm still fuming we spent £400,000 on Flo and he was crap in the air for his size! Anyway sorry you're probably sick of hearing that view on the big man! Gave his all to be fair.

Hasn't Wabara gone to Barnsley??

I doubt the portion of the transfer fee Wilder received
would bring in much quality.
I imagine it would likely be another secretive undisclosed fee.
On the bright side It would give the owners relief of having to put less of their money in to run the club.

He was shocking v Derby, poor crossing-couldn't get it high enough and went to the nearest defender... Like he has no strength/confidence in his knee

Never looked at it like that, thanks for a different insight into it. Hope you are correct and the Beard starts putting in 'proper' crosses now Leon is in there :)
Agree that JB had a decent game against Derby but that style of crossing made him look quite poor to most of us.

Always felt Brayford would be our traditional start of season sell off this time, till all the stuff started around Che. Maybe we're going for a double whammy this time?

It's not even a Single Whammy if it's what the manager wants, is it?

I know some are straining at the leash to trot out the "always sell our best players" line and blame the board, but on this occasion it wouldn't be right. Tufty is driving the transfer business this time.

Mixed feelings on this,and trying not to let heart rule head.
If losing Brayford meant gaining Morsy,a decent RB and CB then the team overall gains in a big way.
It could also mean we keep Che,which,if his fee is only going to disappear to Brussels I`d prefer we did.
Could be an interesting few days.

1. The manager doesn't want to "keep Ché"
2. Money doesn't disappear to Brussels. It travels in the opposite direction to keep a loss-making football club afloat.

Last edited:
Tufty is driving the transfer business this time.

OK, great, if you say so that'll do for me - I have no idea what's going on behind the scenes personally. If Wilder is driving I would trust him.

TBH I'm not overly bothered if we sell Che at a good price and a reasonable proportion of that goes to the manager, it would be good business.

If we get around a million it's a good deal. He's on high wages, had two major injuries in as many seasons and hasn't been outstanding since the loan spell. We could put the money to better use strengthening the team as a whole.

Just for the record:

CHRIS BASHAM IS NOT A RB.

I wouldnt have any confidence in us going forward with him as first choice RB.

Rather sell many others before Brayford. However you wish to dress it up you just cannot expect to keep selling the good assets and hoping for promotion at the same time. He'd be a massive loss for me.

Just for the record:

CHRIS BASHAM IS NOT A RB.

I wouldnt have any confidence in us going forward with him as first choice RB.

I'd fully agree although that said he actually did OK aqainst Walsall and that was the best United performance I saw all last season.

Thought Wilder had already said he'd asked Basham what his favoured position was, ie midfield, ans stated that's where he'd be playing him?

All he needs are a few decent games and a goal, I think his confidence is down and he he didn't look fully fit last season, and it can't have helped playing in that team, I don't care how good you are.

Rather sell many others before Brayford. However you wish to dress it up you just cannot expect to keep selling the good assets and hoping for promotion at the same time. He'd be a massive loss for me.
It could be dressed up that he hasn't been a good asset at all, and is draining the club if huge resource that could be spent elsewhere.

Dressed up like that, I'd deal.

UTB

Agreed, but I'm afraid I would substitute a few other initials as well.

Nearly man.
He is a nearly man, but nearly in so many poItions. If you don't want to run a Cloughesque gigantic squad, having such versatile players around has benefits.

UTB

Not sure on a right back getting a team promoted alone but as a team even an outstanding forward doesn't do that alone. But I did pay my admission price alone looking forward to seeing Vas Borbokis but he was no ordinary right back was he!
No, he was a right wing back.

I'll say this though, Brayford has the ability to make it, we've seen it before and playing in a decent team he should improve too. Brayford was another player who under performed under Adkins and we all know he wasn't alone. Time for Brayford to step up again now.

He attacked well against Derby but as has already been said, his final delivery was poor. At Grimsby we saw flashes of the old Beard.

Chris wilder has just said there has been no bid for Brayford.

1. The manager doesn't want to "keep Ché"
2. Money doesn't disappear to Brussels. It travels in the opposite direction to keep a loss-making football club afloat.

1.I didn`t speak for Wilder re Che.

2.Afraid keeping a loss making club afloat when you`re the reason it`s loss making kinda comes with the turf. No sympathy there.

Back
Top Bottom