CONFIRMED John Brayford - Contract Mutually Terminated

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I'd take that if it meant we got Morsy as part of the deal. They'd have to give us cash too though. We'd need to replace him as well because Freeman is far from good enough

Always felt Brayford would be our traditional start of season sell off this time, till all the stuff started around Che. Maybe we're going for a double whammy this time?

I saw that from Alan Nixon, we need to keep Brayford, he is a vital player and our fans love him, if we sell him we have no chance of getting a better replacement for him because he is the best right back in the league, but im not going to believe it anyway, i think Alan Nixon started the Morsy rumour on twitter and turns out that was all wrong, no reason to believe the Brayford one until there is real proof.

Brayford likes playing at the Lane as he "loves the club". Not sure he'd get the same feeling playing at the DW Stadium in front of 7,000 on a pitch destroyed by the town's first and only love, the Warriors.

I wouldn't be against him being sold at a decent fee.

I think the whole aura around him was down to the cup run, because of the timing of his loan he became an icon of that resurgent period.

If you take the non-footballing stuff out of it, he has been bang average for much of him time here.

My worry, as with letting any first team player leave at this stage, is finding a replacement so close to the start of the season.

£1.5m + Morsy = snap their hands off, with the proviso we can get a good right back in.

As someone accused of opposing every United sale, this is one you could talk me into given Brayford's high wages and recent injury history.

However, we would have to get someone in to play RB better than Freeman. A sale with no replacement would leave us very weak.

Morsy and a minimum of £750k and I would let him go.
Save on wages and put some money into the transfer kitty.
As people gave said although good going forward he is sometimes a liability at his defensive duties, I can also see Adams going and if more than £2 million with 20% in addition to Ilkeston and add ones I would support.

Basham may be a reasonable option at right back?

No better defensively than Freeman in my opinion.

Yes people point to him getting forward but has it ever really created goals for us in this second spell? can't think of many.

I'd be happy with a straight swap to be honest, but given what we paid for Brayford and what they paid for Morsy I think we could say to Wigan that we want decent money as well as Morsy for him. Then if we're lucky they might give us up to 500k. But they'd have to be ignorant to do that.

There's a few right backs in this league I'd take over Brayford.

He get's forward his lot but his delivery is gash (and that's being kind) he's not the best defensively. The cult hero thing has worn off.
If we sold him for a fee plus Morsy - then replaced him with a top class league one right back such as team of the season winner (and free agent) Reece Wabara - I'd be over the moon. Put the fee we recieve then to the centre half fund and sign the very best we can get.

I saw that from Alan Nixon, we need to keep Brayford, he is a vital player and our fans love him, if we sell him we have no chance of getting a better replacement for him because he is the best right back in the league, but im not going to believe it anyway, i think Alan Nixon started the Morsy rumour on twitter and turns out that was all wrong, no reason to believe the Brayford one until there is real proof.

We don't know that there isn't something into the Morsy rumour do we though? Maybe Wigan did have a change of heart or maybe it was just an inquiry from United. It does seem like Morsy isn't going to be first choice this season.

As for Brayford, I want to rate him etc, but he's been, in my view, a total let down since he signed permanently. If I didn't know how much he'd cost and I supported another League One team I don't think you would look at Brayford and say he was anything more than a £200,000 sort of range player. WAS decent going forward, but last season didn't even do that very well and defensively is often found wanting. This is a huge season for him and if he stays he needs to be back to his best or near it, otherwise he's just going to be like the transfer listed players are currently - a burden to the wage bill and unable to shift him on. He's not transfer listed because we all know how well he did in the loan spell (as pointed out by Wilder when he arrived) but that was then and sicnce then he's had long injuries an failed to live up to the big billing. Wilder know doubt hopes he'll get back to the form from the loan spell, but I'm dubious he can do it. I hope I'm wrong and he certainly loves the club. If I was him I'd not be keen on a move to Wigan to fight relegation in front of 10,000 fans etc. I would much rather stick round at United if I was him to get promoted.

As someone accused of opposing every United sale, this is one you could talk me into given Brayford's high wages and recent injury history.

However, we would have to get someone in to play RB better than Freeman. A sale with no replacement would leave us very weak.

Have we got a replacement for Maguire or Murphy yet? :)

Mixed feelings on this,and trying not to let heart rule head.
If losing Brayford meant gaining Morsy,a decent RB and CB then the team overall gains in a big way.
It could also mean we keep Che,which,if his fee is only going to disappear to Brussels I`d prefer we did.
Could be an interesting few days.

People saying Brayford has been a let down since signing him? He came in to play for a team generally playing rubbish in the League, and then dumped at CB because a certain manager didn't see fit to sign any sort of defensive cover. Which he then picked up a serious back injury, and spent last season trying to recover from that. He is yet to have a proper full run, whilst fully match sharp and fit in his own position. I personally would like to see him in his own position after a good pre season. No getting moved around or rushed back from injury due to desperation.

Edit: Don't mistake my defense of him as not being interested in selling him. If selling him gets us Morsy + some money, I'll carry him to Wigan or the likes myself. I just wouldn't be disappointed in the slightest if we held on to him.

People saying Brayford has been a let down since signing him? He came in to play for a team generally playing rubbish in the League, and then dumped at CB because a certain manager didn't see fit to sign any sort of defensive cover. Which he then picked up a serious back injury, and spent last season trying to recover from that. He is yet to have a proper full run, whilst fully match sharp and fit in his own position. I personally would like to see him in his own position after a good pre season. No getting moved around or rushed back from injury due to desperation.

He's been a let down for the fee he cost which is impossible to define thanks to the undisclosed transfers but is likely to be over £1m based on the figures branded about and he played 21 games last season at right back or wing back until he got injured and he didn't play at the level that demanded that fee. We also say defensive errors and positioning that we hadn't seen before and I haven't heard anyone say that Brayford has impressed in pre-season thus far, although I totally get its pre-season but we've heard decent feedback on Hussey who we know cost peanuts and appears to have a very good delivery at corners, set pieces and in open play. I'm not saying we should be looking to off load Brayford but her needs to up his game this season for sure.

You're right that the teams struggled since he joined and maybe in winning team we'll see him back to his best.

I think Bray ford has been a waste of money. It was a signing to keep the fans happy but was not needed for the good of the whole team. The money spent on him was wasted. I would cash in on him and bring in couple of of good league 1 players. And keep Che for a bit longer as he can play on the wing.

It's always daft to call anyone the best right back/left back in the division unless they're blatantly outstanding. Players in those positions don't get much hype and none of us see enough of other full backs in the division and probably don't pay much attention to them when we do. It generally takes a bit longer to judge the quality of defenders than it does attacking players too.

Conor McLaughlin at Fleetwood is probably a good example of that. Barely any of us will have really noticed him yet he shows what he can do for NI at the Euros and has Championship interest. We were linked somewhere too btw, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if it's true because Wilder will be planning for the possibility of losing Brayford.

It's always daft to call anyone the best right back/left back in the division unless they're blatantly outstanding. Players in those positions don't get much hype and none of us see enough of other full backs in the division and probably don't pay much attention to them when we do. It generally takes a bit longer to judge the quality of defenders than it does attacking players too.

Conor McLaughlin at Fleetwood is probably a good example of that. Barely any of us will have really noticed him yet he shows what he can do for NI at the Euros and has Championship interest. We were linked somewhere too btw, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if it's true because Wilder will be planning for the possibility of losing Brayford.
Strikers and centre halves get you out of this division, not right backs.

If Wigan are willing to pay a hefty fee then they cant have seen him much over the last year.

On one hand selling our best players isn't getting us anywhere each year, on the other hand has a right back ever got a team promoted either!?

The club has to sell an asset it does it every summer.Just don't sell him on the last day of the window. Then come out with the usual guff of adding to the squad in the Jan window, while weakening an already weak defense.The fans are tired of getting screwed.

On one hand selling our best players isn't getting us anywhere each year, on the other hand has a right back ever got a team promoted either!?

Not sure on a right back getting a team promoted alone but as a team even an outstanding forward doesn't do that alone. But I did pay my admission price alone looking forward to seeing Vas Borbokis but he was no ordinary right back was he!

We're in a good position. We have players to sell for a bit of money but none of them are important players.

If it's £1mil & Morsy then I think I could live with this transfer happening.

As for replacements?...

Wabara - Free?
Bryne? ;)

I do think Basham can do wing back. Don't want to lose Brayford though. Playing in a team full of confidence makes a player play better. You watch him deliver those crosses if we keep hold.

The amount of people saying that Basham could play full/wing back concerns me.

He is not a wide player, I've never seen any evidence that he can cross a ball, create a chance, or take a man on (one bit of skill v Southampton does not count!).

The only back up to Brayford in the squad at the moment is Freeman, who is more than capable of acting as a stop gap until replacement is found.

Back
Top Bottom