John Brayford Article..

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Loved that and read all of the interviews. I love stuff like this.
Really interesting to see Nade and Suffo still look out for us too, along with Kammy who wasn’t here that long. I do love the way players seem to catch the bug of the club.

With these comments, John Brayford shows as much class off the pitch as what he did when he played for us. I haven't a bad word to say about the bloke, he always gave 100% in a red & white shirt and if he hadn't suffered that awful injury, he may have stayed and made a big contribution under Chris Wilder.
For me, he'll always be welcome back at The Lane.

Great interview from the Beard and brilliant to hear that him and Wilder didn't fall out. The simplest explanation for him leaving turned out to be the obvious one: It was purely a money saving move allowing Wilder to get more players in. Plus a chance for Brayford to go back up to playing in the Championship.

Imagine what it would have been like to see a pre injured Brayford at right back in our system.

Those comments about his contract are interesting. Sounds like he agreed a deal whereby his wages increased every year regardless of whether we got promoted or not. After already starting as our biggest earner. Who the f*** was negotiating these deals!?

Mal Brannigan I think.

We did have some good players in that Clough team but I always thought Clough was too cautious and after stabilising the club we didn't really kick on. Maguire, Brayford, Coutts even if he was struggling for fitness, Baxter who threw his career down the shitter and Jamie Murphy is still scoring goals at a good rate. Hard to believe Adkins was actually worse than negative Nigel.

I always held JB in the highest of places and after that......he goes even higher! Still a Blade by all accounts and it just goes to show that no matter how much we speculate, we never REALLY know why players move on and what the relationship between players and manager really is. Thanks JB 👍

Cracking piece from John Brayford on his time at the Lane...

JB epitomises "Once a Blade always a Blade" .... legendary.

He's a quality player and a great character who puts football over money and he was a part of some great times at United but I'm sure there's a little bending of the truth in this article, not that I'd blame Brayford for it. Brayford is a Clough fan, if Clough pops up managing a team somewhere I expect John Brayford to be his first signing. Anybody remember the video of Brayford going into Wilder's office before he left? Yep that's not the face of a guy who is happy about the situation.
(Should this be in the unpopular opinions thread? I'll leave it here.)

He's a quality player and a great character who puts football over money and he was a part of some great times at United but I'm sure there's a little bending of the truth in this article, not that I'd blame Brayford for it. Brayford is a Clough fan, if Clough pops up managing a team somewhere I expect John Brayford to be his first signing. Anybody remember the video of Brayford going into Wilder's office before he left? Yep that's not the face of a guy who is happy about the situation.
(Should this be in the unpopular opinions thread? I'll leave it here.)
Brayford basically says he is a Clough fan in the article, he enjoys playing football for Clough teams. He also doesn't say he was happy to leave us, but mutually agreed it was the right thing for the club.

It was an altogether odd move to be honest. A great loan, perhaps one of the most successful we’ve seen, and he really was a key character in that early Clough team. It was entirely the right loan to make at the time.

But a year on and spending what we spent, paying him what we paid him, for a position where at the time we had right-backs galore, was a mistake – it hamstrung the flexibility to recruit the following season, and nearly did so the season after that too. I don’t know if anyone else would have taken on his wages at the point Clough came in for him, and had he not then that season might have panned out quite differently indeed.

Interesting to read his positive comments on Adkins too, as these are often few and far between.

Last edited:
Great interview. Always really liked him and it's nice to know that there was no bad feelings with the departure.

It is a shame in some ways that he wasn't part of side for longer. He'd have loved the celebrations and all that's gone with it. Could well be one of those still playing now, if injury free.

But a year on and spending what we spent, paying him what we paid him, for a position where at the time we had right-backs galore, was a mistake – it hamstrung the flexibility to recruit the following season, and nearly did so the season after that too. I don’t know if anyone else would have taken on his wages at the point Clough came in for him, and had he not then that season might have panned out quite differently indeed.

His permanent signing was a combination of a typical piece of Clough business (keep signing right backs despite the fact you have a gaping hole at centre back) and a panem et circenses McCabe move.

Cracking piece from John Brayford on his time at the Lane...

Can’t believe he started the first 3 games under wilder completely forgot that 😂

A fit Bradford would have been great for that RWB though Kieron freeman didn’t do too bad 😂

His permanent signing was a combination of a typical piece of Clough business (keep signing right backs despite the fact you have a gaping hole at centre back) and a panem et circenses McCabe move.

On the latter point, I actually think this was a rare instance where McCabe could see it was a bad investment – a year ago in the hearing I think this was flagged as a major point of contention between both parties, and Bettis himself said in the hearing that had he been at the club at that point he’d not have sanctioned it – the fee mentioned in court was £2 million incidentally, not the £1.3m mentioned in this piece. Madness.

All things in perspective, he clearly loved the club but left because he knew he was on too much money for L1, we'll often have discussions about the players who dig in and sit out the contracts and since Brayfords time Wilder has made mention of a couple of instances where the player didn't want to go out and get some football...

Not JB, went out on loan to help the club build, ultimately left because he got a pay rise which would have then made it even more financially crippling had he stayed..

A top performer and a player who clearly inspired that young team, the Charlton post match scenes were something we'll never forget, up there with the forest playoff and the bouncing day game in my opinion, but I always thought the goal against Charlton was better than the video clip made it look there, the celebration photo is a blades classic which will surely be etched in our memories and our history..

Brilliant read about Brayford, comes across as a bang on bloke and good on him. His loan spell was brilliant but as some have already said on this thread we shouldn't have signed him full time when we did. Clough should have used that money on two good, big strapping centre halves (another gripe about the Clough team was they were generally too small at L1 level). Ive always maintained had Clough plugged the two gaps at centre half that season we'd have gone up. Then when we&d gone up he could have signed Brayford

Brayford is a Top bloke, bumped into him at Donny races st ledger meeting when he was at lane when Adkins was here, he was injured at the time, asked him for pic with Lad no problem, had a good chat and a laugh with him, he loved it at the lane and loved the Fans, bumped into him again later in day asked us if we having a good day, said Yeah 3 winners, he wasn't so lucky, so asked if we had any tips, yeah was reply don't wear a blue and white pin stripe shirt looking like a piggy when you play for us, he took it well and his mates ribbed him, gave him a horse in next race i was backing, he went in front of me to bookie put a few hundred quid on, I said fuck me John if it loses i feel a bit of a twat, don't worry was his answer i can't pick shit anyway, Lucky the horse won, I was collecting winnings when I got a tap on shoulder it was brayford, thanks for the tip what ya drinking, nah don't matter just glad it won, no I'm getting you 2 a beer, Top bloke.

Brayford was the only surprise for me of the squad Wilder inherited that he decided he didn’t want , more so with being an attacking full back you would have thought a perfect shoe in , good interview as I didn’t realise the wages he was prob on & how shipping him out would have added 2-3 players coming in . Great entertaining player for us in that period and very kind in his words about us since , with JB all the best ⚔️

Back
Top Bottom