Gone Elsewhere Joël Piroe (If Only)

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

If we can’t afford archer we can’t afford this guy, why the fuck are we bothering with pointless bids… I’m exhausted with this season already…
This in a fucking nutshell. This is why our fans get so frustrated. PH says to Bettis I want such and such a player, then after a couple of weeks of "being linked" Bettis says we're not paying that much. When the window closes we'll probably have half a squad, presumably no points, quite likely no goals and certainly no chance.
Yes the frustration has got to me.

Last edited:

Vangelis Pavlidis - AZ Alkmaar. Roma sniffing around but want him on loan. AZ willing to sell. Scored 30 in 62 appearances for AZ . Has started this season and already scored so oven ready :)

Was just looking at this guy as he came up as someone similar to Ndiaye. Looking at his stats he might even be better than both Iliman and Archer...

1692325064843.png

Great record in the Eredivisie (Goals/Assists: 23/22 - 12/8; 22/21 - 18/5; 20/21 - 12/4). 24 year old who can play with both the left and right foot and at 186cm looks decent in the air too. What's not to like?

Well, he's linked to Roma, Borussia Monchengladbach, Leeds and... yes you've guessed it, Villa!

Not sure how true that article is, but it says he's valued at around £22m, which probably rules us out, but is suspiciously close to what Villa are likely wanting from us for Archer. It could be that they're trying to effectively swap Archer for this guy, using us to fund the deal. Maybe if we're prepared to pay that much on a forward we should just leave Archer with Villa and try our luck and make a deal to this lad instead from under their nose?

Was just looking at this guy as he came up as someone similar to Ndiaye. Looking at his stats he might even be better than both Iliman and Archer...

View attachment 168700

Great record in the Eredivisie (Goals/Assists: 23/22 - 12/8; 22/21 - 18/5; 20/21 - 12/4). 24 year old who can play with both the left and right foot and at 186cm looks decent in the air too. What's not to like?

Well, he's linked to Roma, Borussia Monchengladbach, Leeds and... yes you've guessed it, Villa!

Not sure how true that article is, but it says he's valued at around £22m, which probably rules us out, but is suspiciously close to what Villa are likely wanting from us for Archer. It could be that they're trying to effectively swap Archer for this guy, using us to fund the deal. Maybe if we're prepared to pay that much on a forward we should just leave Archer with Villa and try our luck and make a deal to this lad instead from under their nose?

Get Georgios Baldokis to tap him up :)

View attachment 168700

At roughly 610ft tall, he should be good at corners!🤣

Talk on twitter is he's signing a new contract at Swansea. Not massively fussed about us getting him over anyone else but be a surprise if he stays there. Not like they are even favourites to do well in the Championship.

Talk on twitter is he's signing a new contract at Swansea. Not massively fussed about us getting him over anyone else but be a surprise if he stays there. Not like they are even favourites to do well in the Championship.

We can't afford Piroe if we can't afford Archer. They'll want at least £15m for him. Probably more.

I was reading Swansea's forum about Piroe and their assessment was that he is decent playing off a centre forward and could be a great no.10, but is not very good at playing as the lone striker. They're not holding their breath for a high transfer fee as despite his goals they don't seem to rate him as Premier League level (and assume other clubs can see that too). One did say that if we bid for him they should ask for £25m as given our history with their ex strikers, we'd probably be daft enough to pay it!

View attachment 168700

Another article from a few days ago from a Dutch site says:
The 24-year-old Pavlidis is currently stuck in the AFAS Stadium until the summer of 2025. However, AZ is very clear in the negotiations about a transfer from the Greek. The Alkmaarders want to see fifteen million euros on the table for the attack leader. Stuttgart made an offer of thirteen million euros in Alkmaar. The Germans were then told a firm 'no'.

This guy's been banging them away for fun the last 4 years in the Eredivisie which is a much higher level than the Championship where Archer has had two decent half seasons. If he really is available for €15m, with his age, stats and goal scoring record, we'd be mad not put a bid in! (Tho I suspect it will be closer to 20m like everyone else we might have a chance of buying)

Last edited:
This guy's been banging them away for fun the last 4 years in the Eredivisie which is a much higher level than the Championship where Archer has had two decent half seasons. If he really is available for €15m, with his age, stats and goal scoring record, we'd be mad not put a bid in! (Tho I suspect it will be closer to 20m like everyone else we might have a chance of buying)

Scored another two in the league this weekend. 3 in 2 league games so far

is it?

This guy Pavlidis seems like a very decent target.

Suspect that even if we were interested others would ultimately out bid us.

Certainly not one that's been mentioned anywhere else so he's either not on our list or it's been kept nice and quiet.

I was going off this site that ranks the Eredivisie as having an average club rating of 52.60 compared to the Championship's 43.08.

I found another site that also says the Eredivisie is better than the Championship, but this time the scores are a lot closer, so maybe the level isn't that much higher?
I'd say it's like the SPL in that there are a few clubs that skew it. And y'know, Michael Higdon scored a 1 in 3 over there....

I'd say it's like the SPL in that there are a few clubs that skew it. And y'know, Michael Higdon scored a 1 in 3 over there....
Yes we've all been mentally scarred by Michael Higdon! But that was 10 years ago and I think the Eredivisie has come on a bit since then!

I don't watch the league so can only go on the website I quoted, but it does give you the option to compare individual team ranks from two separate leagues, so if you compare the Premier League with the Eredivisie for last season, it suggests that Ajax, Feyenoord, Twente and PSV, while not touching the top 6, would be considered top half of the Premier League (around the same level as Chelsea). Then you would have AZ, Vitesse and Utricht in the bottom half. The next four teams would be around the top six in the Championship, and the remaining seven mid to bottom half of the Championship.

If you compare the Scottish Prem, then only Rangers and Celtic match the top of the Eredivisie and make it into the Premier League. Hibs, Hearts, Motherwell and Aberdeen are right at the bottom of Championship level and the rest are League One standard, so a little harsh to compare the Eredivisie to the SPL (yes, it is skewed, but nowhere near to the extent as in Scotland)

Anyway, the point I wanted to make was that if we are prepared to pay £20m for someone who's scored in the Championship (e.g., Archer or Sargent), we should also be prepared to pay similar for proven players in the Eredivisie which may not be a "much higher" (as I originally said) level than the Championship, but it certainly is a higher level

We are never ever allowed to buy any midfielders because … John Ebbrell,
And we are never ever allowed to buy any strikers because … Rhian Brewster

Dems the rules

We are never ever allowed to buy any midfielders because … John Ebbrell,
And we are never ever allowed to buy any strikers because … Rhian Brewster

Dems the rules
We've spent about £30,000,000 on midfielders this summer?

I was quite intrigued by your statement that the Eresdivisie is much higher level than the Championship.

There are some exceptional clubs there like Ajax, PSV and Feyenoord but is the level even as high when you look across the league as a whole?

I don't have particular agenda here but I thought it was an interesting point for analysis and discussion.

If you take squad valuations as a guide for player abilities as per Transfermarkt you'd see the below:

1. Leicester City
2. Southampton
3. Ajax
4. Feyenoord
5. Leeds
6. PSV
7. Alkmaar
8. Watford
9. Norwich
10. Swansea
11. Hull
12. West Brom
13. Sunderland
14. Blackburn
15. Cardiff City
16. Utrecht
17. Middleborough
18. Coventry
19. Birmingham
20. Preston
21. Stoke
22. Twente
23. QPR
24. Millwall
25. Bristol City
26. Heerenveen
27. Huddersfield
28. Vitesse
29. Sparta
30. NEC
31. Ipswich
32. Rotherham
33. Fortuna Sittard
34. Plymouth
35. Wednesday
36. Go ahead Eagles
37. Zwolle
38. Excelsior
39. Volendham
40. Heracles
41. Almere City
42. RKC Waalwijk

Makes you wonder how leagues are compared and ranked. It seems pointless performance in Europe as no top Champ team, by definition would accumulate. It feels that with the comparisons being made they are very favorable to the Dutch teams. With a squad valuation of 52m for example, Utrecht would come nowhere near the Premier League. In fact they'd be struggling in mid table Championship realms.

It does seem some leagues have a bigger gulf between haves and have nots.

Last edited:
This in a fucking nutshell. This is why our fans get so frustrated. PH says to Bettis I want such and such a player, then after a couple of weeks of "being linked" Bettis says we're not paying that much. When the window closes we'll probably have half a squad, presumably no points, quite likely no goals and certainly no chance.
Yes the frustration has got to me.
You are believing what is fed to us as “being linked”. I doubt we are in most cases.

I was quite intrigued by your statement that the Eresdivisie is much higher level than the Championship.

There are some exceptional clubs there like Ajax, PSV and Feyenoord but is the level even as high when you look across the league as a whole?

I don't have particular agenda here but I thought it was an interesting point for analysis and discussion.

If you take squad valuations as a guide for player abilities as per Transfermarkt you'd see the below:

1. Leicester City
2. Southampton
3. Ajax
4. Feyenoord
5. Leeds
6. PSV
7. Alkmaar
8. Watford
9. Norwich
10. Swansea
11. Hull
12. West Brom
13. Sunderland
14. Blackburn
15. Cardiff City
16. Utrecht
17. Middleborough
18. Coventry
19. Birmingham
20. Preston
21. Stoke
22. Twente
23. QPR
24. Millwall
25. Bristol City
26. Heerenveen
27. Huddersfield
28. Vitesse
29. Sparta
30. NEC
31. Ipswich
32. Rotherham
33. Fortuna Sittard
34. Plymouth
35. Wednesday
36. Go ahead Eagles
37. Zwolle
38. Excelsior
39. Volendham
40. Heracles
41. Almere City
42. RKC Waalwijk

Makes you wonder how leagues are compared and ranked. It seems pointless performance in Europe as no top Champ team, by definition would accumulate. It feels that with the comparisons being made they are very favorable to the Dutch teams. With a squad valuation of 52m for example, Utrecht would come nowhere near the Premier League. In fact they'd be struggling in mid table Championship realms.

It does seem some leagues have a bigger gulf between haves and have nots.
Interestingly, the site I quoted above to compare teams to each other from different leagues uses the "Soccer Power Index" (SPI) which is partly calculated using Transfermarkt figures:

Who aren’t match fit or potentially injured apart from Hamer, sh!t, shouldn’t have thunk that let alone type it :(
So we can buy midfielders then, which was the only point I was responding to?

Back
Top Bottom