Outgoing? Jebbison

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

It's funny you say that about Osula, as he is what the modern game is about. Teams take fast, tall lads who are good athletes and turn them into footballers, hence why the Premier League is over laden with speed demons. We are packed full of short, slow, "technically gifted" players whose first thought is pass the ball on receiving it. Our academy is packed full of these players.

Some of our best attacking football this season was the combo of Brereton-Diaz, Archer, McAtee and Osula as they were all pacey players who keep the ball and run with it.

Osula can finish. I think the reason his finishing was so poor in the Premier League came down to pressure. In the under 21 games he's so much more relaxed and composed when finishing.

Let's judge him on next season in the Championship, where he should have been playing on loan this season.
I do agree with you somewhat on Osula looking like the modern day striker etc.

But his finishing at PL is very poor and his overall build up play is very poor also. I have seen some stats at one point that he was the poorest in the league in possession. But he is being compared against the best in the world.

His record at Derby wasn’t great either in a team that dominated possession and created chances. However he was a young pro learning his trade. I don’t think any young striker learns a lot in the PL coming up against VVD he doesn’t give you anything so it’s kinda pointless I think.

But now he’s a little older more experienced will that translate into goals on the championship. I’m not sure he should be anywhere near a starter for us. Not many strikers score 15 goals in the championship at a young age.

They're potentially passing us the other way. If they don't pay more than us, I'd worry for them.
We could have signed him at any point during pre season… all the way through the season.

Now we are out bid by Ipswich. Poor planning if he goes there.

It might not be a decision based purely on money. He might relish the chance to play for someone like McKenna.
I can agree with that.

However we had ample opportunity to have this deal tied up a long time ago.

I can agree with that.

However we had ample opportunity to have this deal tied up a long time ago.
We certainly had the opportunity to have discussions and make offers. From that point it’s up to the player & his agent.

The agent is far more influential on a player than any club. Arguably, that’s as it should be. The player that doesn’t have at least one change of club is vanishingly rare, but the player/agent relationship often sustains throughout a career. Clubs don’t like that that’s the dynamic, but it is a fact of life.

If he chooses to go and not sign for us then I'm sorry ,but good riddance, he's done nothing for us, we've shown unbelievable patience in him and he doesn't want to be here if he does he should have put pen to paper and sign instead of fannying about

Do you actually think it's Jebbison "fannying about" as opposed to the club not offering either reasonable terms (which we have history for) or not having a reasonable plan to develop and use the player (which we also have history for)? Usually if a player does not want to be at a club, it is the club's fault, not the player.

Do you actually think it's Jebbison "fannying about" as opposed to the club not offering either reasonable terms (which we have history for) or not having a reasonable plan to develop and use the player (which we also have history for)? Usually if a player does not want to be at a club, it is the club's fault, not the player.
Wilder saying he's almost there, then we want him here etc, we therefore must want him in our plans, but we can't overstretched ourself for a player who as yet has only offered promise so far

Wilder saying he's almost there, then we want him here etc, we therefore must want him in our plans, but we can't overstretched ourself for a player who as yet has only offered promise so far

Well if the club's plans are to piss about by loaning him out again or only wanting him as a squad/rotation player, then it would be understandable if the player wouldn't want to stay at a club that's continually wasted his time for years

Well if the club's plans are to piss about by loaning him out again or only wanting him as a squad/rotation player, then it would be understandable if the player wouldn't want to stay at a club that's continually wasted his time for years
What complete garbage. He has been ill/injured for the season so we haven't wasted his time this season. As for last season which player would you have dropped to play Jebbison as a starter each week? On what planet do you think he would be an instant starter/first pick at Ipswich or any other Premier League club?

So if he wants to go, say so,let the club look for replacements or we could have another Ndiaye situation

What complete garbage. He has been ill/injured for the season so we haven't wasted his time this season. As for last season which player would you have dropped to play Jebbison as a starter each week? On what planet do you think he would be an instant starter/first pick at Ipswich or any other Premier League club?
This season fine. Last season he should have been getting the vast majority of Sharp's minutes, given he was completely ineffective at Championship level, but Hecky kept using him because reasons. Season before he was getting a useful loan, then was recalled for no real reason. I have no idea what your last sentence has in relation to the point I'm making.

This season fine. Last season he should have been getting the vast majority of Sharp's minutes, given he was completely ineffective at Championship level, but Hecky kept using him because reasons. Season before he was getting a useful loan, then was recalled for no real reason. I have no idea what your last sentence has in relation to the point I'm making.

He was recalled at the last minute in 2021-22 because Brewster got injured right at the end of the window v Peterborough. That was the thinking behind that.

I tend to agree he should have had more minutes last season though he did have some injury troubles from time to time, and some of his performances as a starter were really poor.

He was recalled at the last minute in 2021-22 because Brewster got injured right at the end of the window v Peterborough. That was the thinking behind that.

Yeah, I do recall that, but at the same time I think we had enough forwards at the club at the time that it was hugely overcautious. Not as if we actually used him when we brought him back.

If we get a decent tribunal fee ( 3-4 mill) then fine.He may go on to be a star or may not, but we have other young strikers on the books, we can't have them all developing and we need to be far more realistic about selling players and bringing cash in. After the dust has settled, it looks crazy how we approached relegation last time, just selling Ramsdale. The only concern for me, as I understand is that since he is out of contract, we can't negotiate a sell on fee.

I do agree with you somewhat on Osula looking like the modern day striker etc.

But his finishing at PL is very poor and his overall build up play is very poor also. I have seen some stats at one point that he was the poorest in the league in possession. But he is being compared against the best in the world.

His record at Derby wasn’t great either in a team that dominated possession and created chances. However he was a young pro learning his trade. I don’t think any young striker learns a lot in the PL coming up against VVD he doesn’t give you anything so it’s kinda pointless I think.

But now he’s a little older more experienced will that translate into goals on the championship. I’m not sure he should be anywhere near a starter for us. Not many strikers score 15 goals in the championship at a young age.
Tony_Kaufman I think both have the physical attributes to be a modern striker, they're both developing in that are and learning how better to use their physicality to get the edge in the Premier League and championship, but except for in short spells and cameos, i don't think there has been something where i'd say that with either we really have something.

Neither of them quite have the confidence / arrogance yet, you can perhaps look at Calvert-Lewin and see that he is also a quieter player, but reads the game well.

I think Osula is about a year ahead of Jebbo, in terms of his development, but he also doesn't have enough to make me think that he's taking over from McBurnie any time soon.

There were a few games where Osula and McBurnie played parts of the game each, so we got to see how both fared. Osula wasn't making the runs in the way that McBurnie does, he's learning that physical striker role, but it takes much longer to learn the runs to make, to get a yard on his man. Get him running the channels and he's fine, but intelligent runs in a tight box, he's not there yet, for me.

It was always a strange decision to bring Jebbo back from Burton, he needed that season there to be part of a squad and learn some more.

In terms of finances… likes of Egan / Mcburnie etc.
Culture-carriers (Wilder phrase) but what about an objective assessment of how many games they'll play ?
Egan's been out a long time and was never pacey in the first place - McB is in & out with all manner of injuries.
Wilder has emphasised availability as a key factor - these 2 must have him on the horns of a dilemma.

It's funny you say that about Osula, as he is what the modern game is about. Teams take fast, tall lads who are good athletes and turn them into footballers, hence why the Premier League is over laden with speed demons. We are packed full of short, slow, "technically gifted" players whose first thought is pass the ball on receiving it. Our academy is packed full of these players.

Some of our best attacking football this season was the combo of Brereton-Diaz, Archer, McAtee and Osula as they were all pacey players who keep the ball and run with it.

Osula can finish. I think the reason his finishing was so poor in the Premier League came down to pressure. In the under 21 games he's so much more relaxed and composed when finishing.

Let's judge him on next season in the Championship, where he should have been playing on loan this season.
I recall from the discussion of the DCL sale and subsequent rise to the England team , the aphorism
"You can make a footballer from an athlete but you can't make an athlete from a footballer".
DCL was sold for relative peanuts when he was playing for us in L1 and to most of us including me he looked like "bambi on ice".
But Everton worked with him and the rest is history.
I agree with you that we seem to ignore athleticism in favour of early football ability.
Maybe it's because we are skint + can't afford the time to develop such players or maybe it's the shortsightedness of our coaching setup.
But we should shift the balance slightly.
I'm not saying that either Jebbo or Osula will be another DCL , but the club must ask itself whether it's patient enough to put in the appropriate effort.

Culture-carriers (Wilder phrase) but what about an objective assessment of how many games they'll play ?
Egan's been out a long time and was never pacey in the first place - McB is in & out with all manner of injuries.
Wilder has emphasised availability as a key factor - these 2 must have him on the horns of a dilemma.
Before this injury Egan was practically an ever present, if he can get over this injury I have no worries about him in the championship.

I wouldn’t keep Egan but I would with Mcburnie.

Thought a few people on here mentioned jebbo signing a new deal was done and dusted and just waiting to be announced seems to have gone quiet ?

Back
Top Bottom