January Transfer Window

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I agree that Grabban would be ideal but he's no longer a free agent - playing for Al Ahli Saudi in Saudi Arabia.
I said someone like Grabbon. Couldn't think of another example off the top. Shame he's unavailable though. We really need to make sure we have enough up top with menace and threat. Jebbo shouldn't be even talked about. The stakes are too high.

Only United fans seem to have the mentality of 'lets keep what we've got and that might be enough'. Unless you are paying the fucking bills then you should be thinking 'i hope we don't sell any of our best players and I hope we can strengthen'. That's what most normal fans think. Ok we might not be able to afford it but that's not our concern as fans. Let the boardroon deal with the money side of things whilst let us fans hope we can scrape a groat or two together for the January window. Jeezus we don't half (as a fan base) get too obsessed about the money side of the business. Sometimes, maybe, we can just hope we can spend a little without getting out the balance sheets to disprove otherwise or worry about if that happens then this means we are fucked etc scenario.

I understand about money (actually I really have to understand it through my work) but that doesn't stop me from wanting United to push the boat out a bit this January. Im a football fan not a fucking football financial executive for SUFC. If they don't I understand why, but I still want us too if we possibly can.

But wishing for something to happen that we know won’t happen just gives false hope and eventually you hate the powers that be

Not really. I wish I can win the lottery every weekend but it doesn't happen. I can live with that and with being let down every week in that respect. The trick is to be grateful if it does happen but not be too hung up on it in case it doesn't actually happen. That way you aren't disappointed. If SUFC sign a player or two this January I'll be very pleased. If they don't....no big deal. I'll accept that situation easy enough and understand the reasons why. Doesn't stop me wanting those lottery numbers or those incoming transfers to come in though...

And I won't hate ' Excalibur' the lottery machine or United's board if my wishes don't come true in January. It is what it is. A man / fan can still hope though without having to work out the chances of winning or getting out the business balance sheet to start worrying about United's finances. Sometimes its more enjoyable just being a fan rather than an expert on SUFCs balance sheet constantly.

Last edited:
Only United fans seem to have the mentality of 'lets keep what we've got and that might be enough'. Unless you are paying the fucking bills then you should be thinking 'i hope we don't sell any of our best players and I hope we can strengthen'. That's what most normal fans think. Ok we might not be able to afford it but that's not our concern as fans. Let the boardroon deal with the money side of things whilst let us fans hope we can scrape a groat or two together for the January window. Jeezus we don't half (as a fan base) get too obsessed about the money side of the business. Sometimes, maybe, we can just hope we can spend a little without getting out the balance sheets to disprove otherwise or worry about if that happens then this means we are fucked etc scenario.

I understand about money (actually I really have to understand it through my work) but that doesn't stop me from wanting United to push the boat out a bit this January. Im a football fan not a fucking football financial executive for SUFC. If they don't I understand why, but I still want us too if we possibly can.

Because its the verbal equivalent of the forward defensive stroke. Its non committal, we might, we might not.

It's like me saying I'm looking all the time for a lass thats daft enough to date me. It doesn't specify whether I am or I'm not, or how likely it is......
And yet the vast majority on here believe it means we definitely, definitely won’t be signing anyone

It's a risk, but there has to be money we can access. We have saleable assets in the Summer to recover any shortfalls. We have to push the boat out and go for it this Jan, even if it means carrying a bit of an overdraft until the Summer.

If Forest continue to sign more players Sam Surridge could be available to loan. We need someone with experience to come in for the final five months rather than a McAtee type.
Though Fulham have a young striker who's ideal for us, Terry Ablade.
sturridge is a good shout not good enough for the premier league but an excellent target man at championship level as he proved last season with forest

It’s fine to ignore the realities, however you also have to be happy to accept the consequences. If we do not get promoted we need to sell more players for whatever is on the table to balance our books. By all means call for us to “go for it” and spend more money to warm an already very full bench, but don’t the slate the board if lower than expected bids are accepted for the likes of Anel, Egan, Bogle, Ndiaye, Berge and McBurnie because if we don’t get up the likelihood of all of those going is going to be pretty high.
For me, it depends who is genuinely available.
If a top quality forward is available who can really push McBurnie and allow Jebbo out on loan then fine, but they need to be a top top Championship level player, a guaranteed championship cheat code, and I’m not sure there’s too many of them about. Im thinking more Adam Armstrong rather than Sam Surridge.

Last edited:
It’s fine to ignore the realities, however you also have to be happy to accept the consequences. If we do not get promoted we need to sell more players for whatever is on the table to balance our books. By all means call for us to “go for it” and spend more money to warm an already very full bench, but don’t the slate the board if lower than expected bids are accepted for the likes of Anel, Egan, Bogle, Ndiaye, Berge and McBurnie because if we don’t get up the likelihood of all of those going is going to be pretty high.
For me, it depends who is genuinely available.
If a top quality forward is available who can really push McBurnie and allow Jebbo out on loan then fine, but they need to be a top top Championship level player, a guaranteed championship cheat code, and I’m not sure there’s too many of them about. Im thinking more Adam Armstrong rather than Sam Surridge.

But I'm not saying that we have to go for it. My previous posts were saying that I don't understand United fans saying 'lets just keep what we have got' as if that is the limit of their horizon. Instead we as fans should be hoping that we keep what we have and strengthen further. That's what I want as I'm not responsible for keeping the finances in check at Bramall Lane. It's not my job. I'm just a fan of SUFC so im hoping we do have some money available for strengthening in January but I'm also accepting of the situation if we don't. I'm not demanding anything from the board rather I'm hoping United do a bit of business as I think that can only give us a greater chance of promotion provided the singing(s) made are astute. If we can, we should, provided a) the money is available without getting us in a pickle at a later date, and b) the right player(s) are available at the right price as this i feel is out big chance and it won't come along again in n a hurry. I will accept it either way but if course as a fan I'm hoping we can strengthen this January. I just don't understand the 'lets just keep what we have and hope we have enough' mentality from some fans before weve even got into the new year. It is allowed to want more from United's boardroom even if we don't get it if we've already spent up. Bottom line is none of us know exactly what we might or might not have available so we can hope for more.

As an aside, I agree with the Sturridge suggestion if it was possible to do. Him or a lad with a bit of height/physicality up top would be my preference.

Last edited:
if we dont sign a striker on loan next month and mcburnie and nidaye get injured were f****d and we can forget about top 2 even maybe top 6 so for me if a striker is available that hecky thinks can do a job for us the prince has to back him

if we dont sign a striker on loan next month and mcburnie and nidaye get injured were f****d and we can forget about top 2 even maybe top 6 so for me if a striker is available that hecky thinks can do a job for us the prince has to back him
Too many ifs and buts, all looking at the worst possible scenario.
I get it as Weasel says, as fans we want the ideal situation, with a hard man in midfield, and an extra striker.
Why did we take Doyle, McAtee, Khadra and Clark on loan?
Because we couldn’t afford to buy them.
We need a striker because half our gouls come from McBurnie and Ndiaye. Other players chipped in with the other 18 goals.

PA, the management and the players are all keeping their powder dry, until seasons end.
We need a rebuild even if we do get promoted. Plenty of contracts will run out, and loans will go home.
If we dont get promoted, the same situation applies, with no PL riches to play with.
IMO PA will sit tight and hope for the best. He wants to sell a well run club with no debt.
We will still have to find a new midfield and add strikers whatever happens. Too risky for PA to roll the dice now. Better to wait and see what happens come May?

As a fan i want it now, but logic dictates the man at the top gets to decide, not me.

disagree hold on to everyone and make 2 signings striker and midfielder that gets us automatic for me no signings and its 50/50 top 2 or play offs
Right, but let's be realistic. That won't happen. I can praise the board come 1st of Feb if they've kept ahold of our best players as that will be a challenge in itself and it'll be a very good window if we succeed in that. We'd all love a striker and a centre mid, but I highly doubt there's money available for this

It's also not always the solution.

Let's not forget it depends on what the management feel were lacking and if there is something out there, available and affordable to satisfy that need.

Someone coming in for instance, in two key positions has to be able to offer more than a returning Coulibaly and a returning Jebbo. If they do, great. If they don't, then what's the point?

Remember when we spent 1m on Horsfield and more than that on Akinbiyi? It was only when we reverted back to Shipperley did we get going again.

It's also not always the solution.

Let's not forget it depends on what the management feel were lacking and if there is something out there, available and affordable to satisfy that need.

Someone coming in for instance, in two key positions has to be able to offer more than a returning Coulibaly and a returning Jebbo. If they do, great. If they don't, then what's the point?

Remember when we spent 1m on Horsfield and more than that on Akinbiyi? It was only when we reverted back to Shipperley did we get going again.
Jebbison and Couilbaly both need loan moves imo.

Right, but let's be realistic. That won't happen. I can praise the board come 1st of Feb if they've kept ahold of our best players as that will be a challenge in itself and it'll be a very good window if we succeed in that. We'd all love a striker and a centre mid, but I highly doubt there's money available for this
matter of opinion luke i just think the prize that is on offer i.e. premier league money is worth a gamble you could be right we could make top 2 with the current squad but we would have to keep everybody fit till the end of the season to achieve that imo

This season is our last chance saloon to get back to PL. If we fail , Ndiaye will leave for a good fee anyway so that's money coming in the summer. With Brewster out for ages , we have to sign a striker in January , probably on loan.

Not really. I wish I can win the lottery every weekend but it doesn't happen. I can live with that and with being let down every week in that respect. The trick is to be grateful if it does happen but not be too hung up on it in case it doesn't actually happen. That way you aren't disappointed. If SUFC sign a player or two this January I'll be very pleased. If they don't....no big deal. I'll accept that situation easy enough and understand the reasons why. Doesn't stop me wanting those lottery numbers or those incoming transfers to come in though...

And I won't hate ' Excalibur' the lottery machine or United's board if my wishes don't come true in January. It is what it is. A man / fan can still hope though without having to work out the chances of winning or getting out the business balance sheet to start worrying about United's finances. Sometimes its more enjoyable just being a fan rather than an expert on SUFCs balance sheet constantly.
My entire 52 years of going through the turnstile at BDTBL has all been built around hope .

frequently in recent years my hopes on match day have been met and exceeded - my dreams for my club on the other hand have only been met around 10/15% of the time (granted my dreams are not that stretching).

I live in hope and hope not to die in despair re my club but I wouldn’t bank on it

Jebbison and Couilbaly both need loan moves imo.
Coulibaly has only just come off a 2 year loan and he has 6 months to run on his deal.

Unless it is one month in non league to get him maximum fitness then I doubt he'll have much interest in moving somewhere on loan.

Jebbo possibly, but only if we are bringing someone in who is more ready made. Even now it's not easy to see where Jebbo gets in the matchday XI. Less so for Coulibaly because Fleck is out and both Doyle and Osborn have had fitness issues this year.

Just my two cents of course on how I see it might go.

This season is our last chance saloon to get back to PL. If we fail , Ndiaye will leave for a good fee anyway so that's money coming in the summer. With Brewster out for ages , we have to sign a striker in January , probably on loan.
we might get away without signing another midfielder but we definetly need a striker in on loan this january brewster out billy realistically just a bench player and mcburnie and nidaye injury prone always khadra i suppose but think heckys got a big decision with him stick with him or send him back and use his salary for a good championship striker

You seem to share my view.
This season is our last roll of the dice unless there's a miraculous takeover proposition in waiting (seems unlikely).

If we don't go up, we will be flogging the family china. We all know Ndiaye, McBurnie, Berge etc. won't be here next season if we're still in the Championship.
My view, we might as well give ourselves every opportunity this January, even if that means (in theory) borrowing against future player sales. There's an element of risk to that strategy, but it seems a calculated one.

I can imagine PH will ask PA for a CM and a CF and the response might be to integrate Coulibaly and Jebbison, but there's no evidence to suggest they're ready.
I'd loan those two out, possibly send Khadra back and look to bring the right people in.

If a top quality forward is available who can really push McBurnie and allow Jebbo out on loan then fine
I just can't imagine we'd bring in a player which would mean McBurnie doesn't start. McBurnie would just then leave, surely?

I think it's worth splashing money IF we could sign a young lower league striker with the required ability. One who might not be at the level of top championship but can already do a job and will improve. Or from abroad. Like the Anel equivalent of a striker.

You seem to share my view.
This season is our last roll of the dice unless there's a miraculous takeover proposition in waiting (seems unlikely).

If we don't go up, we will be flogging the family china. We all know Ndiaye, McBurnie, Berge etc. won't be here next season if we're still in the Championship.
My view, we might as well give ourselves every opportunity this January, even if that means (in theory) borrowing against future player sales. There's an element of risk to that strategy, but it seems a calculated one.

I can imagine PH will ask PA for a CM and a CF and the response might be to integrate Coulibaly and Jebbison, but there's no evidence to suggest they're ready.
I'd loan those two out, possibly send Khadra back and look to bring the right people in.
Not sure how calculated that risk would be. Depends on finances. It's ok 'going for it' but if we fail the club could be screwed.

We will lose Ndiaye, you'd imagine, and Berge at the end of the season if we don't go up. Maybe McBurnie given I think we have a year option and we'll get some pisstake offer from a EPL team. I reckon we'd retain RND with the injury and likely Bogle unless he has a really good second half of the season. I'm sure Anel will be popular as well.

If we desperately need to sell to balance the books then we'll have our pants down on all those players. Also Lowe, Baldock and maybe Egan. Because it's likely we'd need to slash the wage bill as well

If we don't go up, we need to rebuild. I think, handled well, that could mean that in say 24/25 we'd have a shot of the play-offs. If, the likes of Jebbo, Osula, Arblaster, Boyes etc come through. Big if.

You might be looking at something like:

------------------------Davies
----Sachdev-------Anel----Egan----new-----Boyes
---------------Doyle-----Arblaster-----Osborn
-------------------Jebbo------Osula

We'd obviously need to bring some more experience in but if the youngsters keep progressing it might not be terrible in a couple of years time.

If we do want to gamble, I think we'd have to do it with loans. A temporary financial commitment. As opposed to permanent signings.

Not sure how calculated that risk would be. Depends on finances. It's ok 'going for it' but if we fail the club could be screwed.

We will lose Ndiaye, you'd imagine, and Berge at the end of the season if we don't go up. Maybe McBurnie given I think we have a year option and we'll get some pisstake offer from a EPL team. I reckon we'd retain RND with the injury and likely Bogle unless he has a really good second half of the season. I'm sure Anel will be popular as well.

If we desperately need to sell to balance the books then we'll have our pants down on all those players. Also Lowe, Baldock and maybe Egan. Because it's likely we'd need to slash the wage bill as well

If we don't go up, we need to rebuild. I think, handled well, that could mean that in say 24/25 we'd have a shot of the play-offs. If, the likes of Jebbo, Osula, Arblaster, Boyes etc come through. Big if.

You might be looking at something like:

------------------------Davies
----Sachdev-------Anel----Egan----new-----Boyes
---------------Doyle-----Arblaster-----Osborn
-------------------Jebbo------Osula

We'd obviously need to bring some more experience in but if the youngsters keep progressing it might not be terrible in a couple of years time.

If we do want to gamble, I think we'd have to do it with loans. A temporary financial commitment. As opposed to permanent signings.

I don't think that team troubles the play-offs and I don't think Anel or Egan would be sticking around to find out.

I'm not proposing anything drastic in January. Maybe £3-4m on a midfielder and a loan striker.
If we go up (and we have a head-start and a strong squad as it is) then great.
If we don't, we will be selling Ndiaye (£20m), McBurnie (£10m), Berge (£10m), Egan (£8m) etc. at a rough guess anyway.

I don't think that team troubles the play-offs and I don't think Anel or Egan would be sticking around to find out.

I'm not proposing anything drastic in January. Maybe £3-4m on a midfielder and a loan striker.
If we go up (and we have a head-start and a strong squad as it is) then great.
If we don't, we will be selling Ndiaye (£20m), McBurnie (£10m), Berge (£10m), Egan (£8m) etc. at a rough guess anyway.
If we failed to go up, there's no way we'd be bringing that much in for Egan or McBurnie. Both in their 'presumably' last year and the former would be the wrong side of 30. In fact, I very much doubt there would be EPL interest in Egan unless he's cheap. Who wants a soon to be 31 year old Irish CB who is a little slow and suspect in a 4?

Back
Top Bottom