January Transfer Window

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Watford's signings don't blow me away, but I do rate Barlaser, Stewart and particularly Gyokeres.

Looking at the teams around us, I'm not sure many are in as much danger of losing assets as we are.
Burnley have good players and play well as a team but I'm not sure any will attract PL interest this January. At a push, maybe their tricky little winger Manuel Benson?
Watford, we all assumed they'd have lost Ismalia Sarr and Joao Pedro by now, but I think the latter signed a new contract after his move to Newcastle fell through. Sarr could well leave as he was close in the Summer.
Do Norwich have any standout individuals anymore? Max Aarons, the right back, has been out of sorts this season. Maybe Josh Sargent? But I don't think he will get offers in Jan.

When you look at our squad, particularly given our financial situation (parachutes end next year) and the contractual situation of our players (nearly all go into their final years this Summer), you could easily see the likes of Egan, Anel, Norwood, Berge, Ndiaye and McBurnie all attracting interest...
Yeah Burnley will be ok because I think 5 of their key players are season loans.

Part of the rationale for signing the Brazilian lad, who plays on the wing is possibly down to the rumour Sarr has refused to play. I suppose being Senegal's second best player there (😉) must have gone to his head a bit. Still, they've got far more seasons out of him than they could have realistically expected given his ability and their recent yoyoing.

Even if he is not planning on signing a new deal, I'd be surprised if Sunderland sold their number one striker to one of their North East rivals, especially one who could end up competing with them for a potential play off place.

If you are Gyokeres, do you go to Burnley and at best end up being a the worst house on the best street in 6 months and potentially back in the Championship in 18 months or do you continue to do well at Coventry and get courted by Wolves, Southampton, Palace, West Ham, or any other non-top 6 Prem team who may not be facing an immediate relegation fight?

For United, keeping what we have would be good. If you are being greedy then for me, perhaps sending Jebbo out and getting a more experienced play in wouldn't hurt. Also, Fleck is a worry. So if Coulibaly is back soon, maybe that will remove that need and give him a chance to show his worth. We have then Norwood, Doyle, Osborn and Coulibaly not to mention Arblaster.
It feels like Sarr & Ndiaye are both ideally wanting to leave asap. Hopefully N’Diaye just gets on with it until the summer then we take it from there dependant on what league we’re in.

He’d be daft to leave us if we went up in my opinion. He would play week in week out in the prem & put himself on the map to greater things.

Should he leave us and join Everton (an example) then he becomes a bit part player & wastes his career.

It's worrying as we are constantly evolving regardless of division and thus should be chipping away at the squad building anyway. One permanent in two seasons (five windows) if we don't sign anyone, and a huge rebuild in the summer. Meanwhile the Cat one academies are ransacking our best youth prospects. It'd be really dumb not to bring in a striker with the loss of Brewster (unless Osula is ready), and hopefully a midfield player.
Huge concern for me. We're depleting the squad every year in terms of numbers. Hardly ideal to keep extending contracts by a year. Players will leave. If we don't go up, I wonder where the money is coming from for the rebuild.

It feels like Sarr & Ndiaye are both ideally wanting to leave asap. Hopefully N’Diaye just gets on with it until the summer then we take it from there dependant on what league we’re in.

He’d be daft to leave us if we went up in my opinion. He would play week in week out in the prem & put himself on the map to greater things.

Should he leave us and join Everton (an example) then he becomes a bit part player & wastes his career.
The danger with Ndiaye is around the current contract. Hell be on much less than the rest of the first team given it's his first pro contract. Hopefully he'll at least sign an improved contract, even if the length doesn't change.

Huge concern for me. We're depleting the squad every year in terms of numbers. Hardly ideal to keep extending contracts by a year. Players will leave. If we don't go up, I wonder where the money is coming from for the rebuild.
Yep it is a big worry. 11 outta contract with 4 loans to return.

I think the biggest concern about teams like Watford, Norwich and even Boro and a longshot WBA is that it's accepted that they're underperforming but they're (mostly) very close to us in terms of points. You would think that some teams will pick up. Ourselves, Forest and Boro both had second half charges last season. It's having enough to keep getting the points.

The danger with Ndiaye is around the current contract. Hell be on much less than the rest of the first team given it's his first pro contract. Hopefully he'll at least sign an improved contract, even if the length doesn't change.
100% you either sell him in January or you sell him in the summer if he doesn’t sign a new deal.

If we went up it wouldn’t harm his career to sign a two year deal with us but with £20m release clause.

I’d say the release clause should be higher but ultimately he wouldn’t sign unless we don’t price him out of leaving.

We’ve got one of the biggest squads in the division, in terms of depth. We’ve managed to avoid having to make permanent signings by building around our youth system: RND and Ndiaye integral parts of the first team, Jebbison and Arblaster on the fringes, Osula and potentially others not far away.

We don’t need to sign anyone in this window and could potentially afford to lose one star player and still have enough for a promotion push, in my opinion.

As to where the money will come from for a rebuild if we don’t go up: not from the current owner, is the reality. I don’t think we’ll have the resources to build a squad capable of pushing for promotion. He’d look to sell the club I imagine.

It feels like Sarr & Ndiaye are both ideally wanting to leave asap
This is total rubbish - where have you seen that Ndiaye wants to leave ASAP? He has never indicated anything like that, in fact all his actions so far indicate that he is 100% focused on doing the best he can this season (hence his return to training a day earlier than expected....unlike Sarr). The failure of him not signing another contract immediately just means that he is being sensible about his future, and no doubt waiting to see what happens going forward.

I think we need another 10 goal from now to, the end of the season Striker, apart from that if we don’t lose anyone important we should have enough to compete.

We’ve got one of the biggest squads in the division, in terms of depth. We’ve managed to avoid having to make permanent signings by building around our youth system: RND and Ndiaye integral parts of the first team, Jebbison and Arblaster on the fringes, Osula and potentially others not far away.

We don’t need to sign anyone in this window and could potentially afford to lose one star player and still have enough for a promotion push, in my opinion.

As to where the money will come from for a rebuild if we don’t go up: not from the current owner, is the reality. I don’t think we’ll have the resources to build a squad capable of pushing for promotion. He’d look to sell the club I imagine.
We don't have depth upfront though. The four strikers who play infront of Ndiaye's position aren't enough.

Why would Sheffield United offer him an improved contract but not extend the length of contract beyond his current deal? For improved terms he must extend the length by a season at least, to give United some security.

Why would Sheffield United offer him an improved contract but not extend the length of contract beyond his current deal? For improved terms he must extend the length by a season at least, to give United some security.
Why wouldn't the club pay him more money as he's now a first team regular?

Let's just assume that Ndiaye doesn't want to extend while we're in this division and wants to be paid a fair wage?

We don't have depth upfront though. The four strikers who play infront of Ndiaye's position aren't enough.
It’s simply not realistic to expect the owner to spend money in January to add to a strike force of McBurnie, Ndiaye, Brewster, Sharp, Khadra, and Jebbison. Any manager in the league would snatch your hand off for that depth.

Why wouldn't the club pay him more money as he's now a first team regular?

Let's just assume that Ndiaye doesn't want to extend while we're in this division and wants to be paid a fair wage?

It's business. We can't just give money away.
Unless Ndiaye is extending we have no reason to pay the lad any more than we need to.

It's business. We can't just give money away.
Unless Ndiaye is extending we have no reason to pay the lad any more than we need to.
Terrible business.

I'd demand to leave if I was treated like that and if I was a young player I'd look to play elsewhere after seeing how he was being treated.

It’s simply not realistic to expect the owner to spend money in January to add to a strike force of McBurnie, Ndiaye, Brewster, Sharp, Khadra, and Jebbison. Any manager in the league would snatch your hand off for that depth.
A loan for the remainder of the season is do able surely? Hogan and Madine were alright and were needed.

I don't see Khadra and Ndiaye as part of the number 9 position aswell.

Evidence suggests, Sharp, McBurnie, Brewster and Jebbison can't be playing week in week out.

Last edited:
I'd demand to leave if I was treated like that and if I was a young player I'd look to play elsewhere after seeing how he was being treated

Which, of course, he can do. However, he is contracted to Sheffield United for another 18 months and can only play elsewhere if Sheffield United say so.

A loan for the remainder of the season is do able surely? Hogan and Madine were alright and needed.

I don't see Khadra and Ndiaye as part of the number 9 position aswell.
McBurnie, Brewster, Sharp, and Jebbison. Two of them cost 20 million and one is amongst the best prospects in his age group in England. The other is Billy Sharp. I think the owner is entitled to say "you've got the resources, go and get the job done."

Listen: if we had unlimited funds, I'd be delighted to see us strengthen in January. Striker wouldn't be my first priority. But it's academic because we don't have those resources--we already spent them all building arguably the strongest squad in the division. We have more than enough.

Terrible business.

I'd demand to leave if I was treated like that and if I was a young player I'd look to play elsewhere after seeing how he was being treated.
We gave him a contract, he was happy with it so he signed it.

Due to his performances he has now elevated his status and feels he should be on more money, well that's fair enough but he'd need to sign a new contract to do that.

Player gets more money, club gets more security over an asset.

Can you name any other time in the history of football where a club has just randomly given a player a wage increase without putting a new contract in place?

Terrible business.

That's not how contracts work in football. He's got every right to ask for a payrise, but neither Iliman or his agent would even expect to get more money without committing to a longer deal.

This is total rubbish - where have you seen that Ndiaye wants to leave ASAP? He has never indicated anything like that, in fact all his actions so far indicate that he is 100% focused on doing the best he can this season (hence his return to training a day earlier than expected....unlike Sarr). The failure of him not signing another contract immediately just means that he is being sensible about his future, and no doubt waiting to see what happens going forward.
B55BD993-2DDF-4DAD-A6B9-84DB45C0312C.jpeg
I hope it is a load of rubbish, this isn’t me attempting to provoke! However Hecky saying “his representatives have got other things they want to do & they want to explore that” indicates they’re offering him around to potential suitors.

Why would they do that if N’Diaye was keen to stay with us? Like I’ve said in a different post I think it would be daft him leaving should we gain promotion as he’d start for us regularly.

View attachment 149455
I hope it is a load of rubbish, this isn’t me attempting to provoke! However Hecky saying “his representatives have got other things they want to do & they want to explore that” indicates they’re offering him around to potential suitors.

Why would they do that if N’Diaye was keen to stay with us? Like I’ve said in a different post I think it would be daft him leaving should we gain promotion as he’d start for us regularly.
Djed Spence is a good example. Best right back in the division last season, Forest get promoted but still moves to a bigger clubs in Spurs. He's not started a game yet and hardly played.

Part of the rationale for signing the Brazilian lad, who plays on the wing is possibly down to the rumour Sarr has refused to play. I suppose being Senegal's second best player there (😉) must have gone to his head a bit. Still, they've got far more seasons out of him than they could have realistically expected given his ability and their recent yoyoing.

Even if he is not planning on signing a new deal, I'd be surprised if Sunderland sold their number one striker to one of their North East rivals, especially one who could end up competing with them for a potential play off place.

If you are Gyokeres, do you go to Burnley and at best end up being a the worst house on the best street in 6 months and potentially back in the Championship in 18 months or do you continue to do well at Coventry and get courted by Wolves, Southampton, Palace, West Ham, or any other non-top 6 Prem team who may not be facing an immediate relegation fight?

For United, keeping what we have would be good. If you are being greedy then for me, perhaps sending Jebbo out and getting a more experienced play in wouldn't hurt. Also, Fleck is a worry. So if Coulibaly is back soon, maybe that will remove that need and give him a chance to show his worth. We have then Norwood, Doyle, Osborn and Coulibaly not to mention Arblaster.
Has anyone on here seen Coulibaly play ? There are calls for him to play, but is he better than Arblaster or Macatee ?

View attachment 149455

I see what you are pointing to now, but I read that as talking about discussions about signing a contract extension, and his reps wanting to hold fire until things were clearer (as in number and type of clubs interested and which league SUFC will be in.....in other words...summer). I don't see that as wanting to leave ASAP.

I don’t understand . Surely we have as many players now as last year and arguably better ones outside the 1st XI

McBurnie, Brewster, Sharp, and Jebbison. Two of them cost 20 million and one is amongst the best prospects in his age group in England. The other is Billy Sharp. I think the owner is entitled to say "you've got the resources, go and get the job done."

Except we haven't got the resources have we....two of those four are injured and out for the foreseeable, Sharp isn't capable of 90 minutes twice a week, (or once a week for that matter) and McBurnie, whilst not being injury prone per se, is liable to miss games here and there due to knocks...we desperately need a striker through the door in January....absolute priority.

Back
Top Bottom