January Transfer Window

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I see what you are pointing to now, but I read that as talking about discussions about signing a contract extension, and his reps wanting to hold fire until things were clearer (as in number and type of clubs interested and which league SUFC will be in.....in other words...summer). I don't see that as wanting to leave ASAP.
Hopefully you’re right. It would be daft for us to let him leave now.

Except we haven't got the resources have we....two of those four are injured and out for the foreseeable, Sharp isn't capable of 90 minutes twice a week, (or once a week for that matter) and McBurnie, whilst not being injury prone per se, is liable to miss games here and there due to knocks...we desperately need a striker through the door in January....absolute priority.
Exactly. If McBurnie got a serious injury we'd be left with Sharp and Jebbison. How could we expect a top 2 finish?

Any Sheffield United player would be mad to sign a new contract now - surely better to wait until the summer to see what league we are in. If we were to be promoted then they would all be in a far stronger position to negotiate a considerable improvement on current terms. If we are not promoted, then the ones we are offering contracts to will presumably still have a fair few choices available to them. Ndiaye is the unfortunate one in having only just broken into the first team and therefore still getting paid a (comparatively) small amount, but he will know, that given a fair wind, that will change in the summer either at Sheffield United or for somebody else, as we will be forced to sell to cover the running costs of the club.

McBurnie, Brewster, Sharp, and Jebbison. Two of them cost 20 million and one is amongst the best prospects in his age group in England. The other is Billy Sharp. I think the owner is entitled to say "you've got the resources, go and get the job done."

Listen: if we had unlimited funds, I'd be delighted to see us strengthen in January. Striker wouldn't be my first priority. But it's academic because we don't have those resources--we already spent them all building arguably the strongest squad in the division. We have more than enough.
Can you name me one club that’s been promoted without signing a single player in the JTW?

Except we haven't got the resources have we....two of those four are injured and out for the foreseeable, Sharp isn't capable of 90 minutes twice a week, (or once a week for that matter) and McBurnie, whilst not being injury prone per se, is liable to miss games here and there due to knocks...we desperately need a striker through the door in January....absolute priority.
Brewster is possibly out till March. Jebbison close to being back, McBurnie very close. We don’t “desperately” need anything.

I'm making the point that if he had stayed/signed with Forest (who got promoted) he would be playing week in week out in the PL.
If he’d have moved to another club where the manager actually wanted him he’d probably get a game. I’m not sure why he’d have played every game for Forest either with the number of players they’ve signed.

Brewster is possibly out till March. Jebbison close to being back, McBurnie very close. We don’t “desperately” need anything.
Also since when have Brewster and Jebbison been guaranteed starters that are going to get us the goals??

Can you name me one club that’s been promoted without signing a single player in the JTW?
Off the top of my head, no. I can’t say I’ve looked at it that closely. It doesn’t affect my opinion either way. If I thought we needed a signing or two in order to be good enough, I’d say so. But we don’t and I don’t think signing players for the sake of it makes a great deal of sense.

Any Sheffield United player would be mad to sign a new contract now - surely better to wait until the summer to see what league we are in. If we were to be promoted then they would all be in a far stronger position to negotiate a considerable improvement on current terms. If we are not promoted, then the ones we are offering contracts to will presumably still have a fair few choices available to them. Ndiaye is the unfortunate one in having only just broken into the first team and therefore still getting paid a (comparatively) small amount, but he will know, that given a fair wind, that will change in the summer either at Sheffield United or for somebody else, as we will be forced to sell to cover the running costs of the club.

Contracts being handed out now need to be incentive driven to get us promoted. A decent basic salary but with bonuses and wage increases based on promotion. For the more desirable players who could be wanted by Premier league teams (Ndiaye, mcburnie maybe) stick a non promotion release clause in that is realistic but also will not see us get bent over.

Contracts being handed out now need to be incentive driven to get us promoted. A decent basic salary but with bonuses and wage increases based on promotion. For the more desirable players who could be wanted by Premier league teams (Ndiaye, mcburnie maybe) stick a non promotion release clause in that is realistic but also will not see us get bent over.
This exactly

I don’t understand . Surely we have as many players now as last year and arguably better ones outside the 1st XI
7 out of contract at the end of the season. Roughly the same again the season after
Doyle, McAtee, Clark, Khadra return to parent clubs

I believe the only midfielders in contract after this year, at the moment, are Berge and Coulibaly.

We gave him a contract, he was happy with it so he signed it.

Due to his performances he has now elevated his status and feels he should be on more money, well that's fair enough but he'd need to sign a new contract to do that.

Player gets more money, club gets more security over an asset.

Can you name any other time in the history of football where a club has just randomly given a player a wage increase without putting a new contract in place?

That's not how contracts work in football. He's got every right to ask for a payrise, but neither Iliman or his agent would even expect to get more money without committing to a longer deal.

I didn't say we just give him a payrise but are you telling me a player would turn down a contract worth twice as much for the same duration? Sure, we'd want him to sign a longer contract but it's not in his interests to do so, is it?

And it's ok saying "sod him" but if he decides to play hardball what exactly are we going to do? Make him train with people his own age?!!

And if I'm Ndiaye then I'm only signing a contract, playing in this league, with a fairly low release clause.

I think Brewster and Jebbisons goalscoring record, (72 Blades appearances and 5 goals between them) suggests we most certainly do....
What team in the Championship has guaranteed goalscorers as its third and fifth choice strikers? It's inevitable that a team in our position would have a squad that includes some players that haven't quite done it yet or are very raw and just making a name for themselves. In dreamland, yes, we go and spend x number of millions on a striker who is guaranteed 10 goals in the second half of the season but is also willing to sit on the bench. But in reality we cannot afford it. We have spent our money building a squad that is more than capable of getting out of this division and I suspect the owner's message to the manager will be to crack on with what he's got. He's fully justified in that, in my opinion.

What team in the Championship has guaranteed goalscorers as its third and fifth choice strikers? It's inevitable that a team in our position would have a squad that includes some players that haven't quite done it yet or are very raw and just making a name for themselves. In dreamland, yes, we go and spend x number of millions on a striker who is guaranteed 10 goals in the second half of the season but is also willing to sit on the bench. But in reality we cannot afford it. We have spent our money building a squad that is more than capable of getting out of this division and I suspect the owner's message to the manager will be to crack on with what he's got. He's fully justified in that, in my opinion.
Are we financially better off now in 2022 than in 2018? (Promotion season)
Wilder had Sharp and Mcgoldrick who were scoring for fun with Clarke and Washington as back up. These four weren't injury prone or youngsters. In January the board gave CW the funds to sign Madine and Hogan on loan to further our chances of promotion.

What's the difference here? Apart from we should have a little more money instead of less?

12 according to this but there are a couple of kids in there

https://www.sheffieldunited.news/op...t-of-contract-players-but-who-stays-and-goes/

I think, as things stand, of no one signed a new contract (which obviously won't happen), we'll have:

GK - Davies
Def - Lowe, RND, Egan, Anel, Basham, Baldock, Bogle
Mid - Berge, Arblaster, Coulibaly
FW - Ndiaye, Jebbo, Brewster.

Which wouldn't be too bad on the face of it, but if we're in this division and the owner needs to sell Ndiaye and/or Berge then you wonder whether those players in the last year will be angling for a move.

I didn't say we just give him a payrise but are you telling me a player would turn down a contract worth twice as much for the same duration? Sure, we'd want him to sign a longer contract but it's not in his interests to do so, is it?

And it's ok saying "sod him" but if he decides to play hardball what exactly are we going to do? Make him train with people his own age?!!

And if I'm Ndiaye then I'm only signing a contract, playing in this league, with a fairly low release clause.
Apologies, it seemed like you were suggesting it.

He's not a nurse that's been undervalued for 10+ years. It's a different situation. Bigger pay for footballers is to incentivise staying at the club longer.

12 according to this but there are a couple of kids in there

https://www.sheffieldunited.news/op...t-of-contract-players-but-who-stays-and-goes/

I think, as things stand, of no one signed a new contract (which obviously won't happen), we'll have:

GK - Davies
Def - Lowe, RND, Egan, Anel, Basham, Baldock, Bogle
Mid - Berge, Arblaster, Coulibaly
FW - Ndiaye, Jebbo, Brewster.

Which wouldn't be too bad on the face of it, but if we're in this division and the owner needs to sell Ndiaye and/or Berge then you wonder whether those players in the last year will be angling for a move.
Transfer market says 12 including Jebbison but I think they have his contract wrong. No way did he only sign a 2 year deal in 2021.

Wilder had Sharp and Mcgoldrick who were scoring for fun with Clarke and Washington as back up. These four weren't injury prone or youngsters. In January the board gave CW the funds to sign Madine and Hogan on loan to further our chances of promotion.

What's the difference here? Apart from we should have a little more money instead of less?
Maybe worth noting that the overheads are likely a fair bit higher now? Not just in terms of inflation but also with the extra money we'll have spend in the top flight. People on higher wages. More to maintain. More debts to service.

Maybe worth noting that the overheads are likely a fair bit higher now? Not just in terms of inflation but also with the extra money we'll have spend in the top flight. People on higher wages. More to maintain. More debts to service.
You saying we can't afford a young, hungry, proven striker on loan from a PL club? (Archer for example)

For starters, a supporting cast of Sharp, Brewster, and Jebbison is much stronger than Leon Clarke and Conor fucking Washington, so there's less need to bring in new faces. Then there's the question of what Hogan and Madine actually contributed when they came in: 5 goals in 24 appearances between them. I suppose someone could make a case that those were game-changing signings for us but I'd take some persuading: Sharp and McGoldrick scored the goals that got us up.

I'm not even sure who would be available on loan. You could roll the dice on a Premier League prospect, but the kid considered to be the best young striker in England, Liam Delap, has struggled to score at Stoke.

I don't know about the finances. I'm sure we have a higher overall wage bill now than we did then but that doesn't mean we've got room in it for more players. I do think that if the money was available then the owner would spend it. If we don't spend it's because the money isn't there.

For starters, a supporting cast of Sharp, Brewster, and Jebbison is much stronger than Leon Clarke and Conor fucking Washington, so there's less need to bring in new faces. Then there's the question of what Hogan and Madine actually contributed when they came in: 5 goals in 24 appearances between them. I suppose someone could make a case that those were game-changing signings for us but I'd take some persuading: Sharp and McGoldrick scored the goals that got us up.

I'm not even sure who would be available on loan. You could roll the dice on a Premier League prospect, but the kid considered to be the best young striker in England, Liam Delap, has struggled to score at Stoke.

I don't know about the finances. I'm sure we have a higher overall wage bill now than we did then but that doesn't mean we've got room in it for more players. I do think that if the money was available then the owner would spend it. If we don't spend it's because the money isn't there.
Fair points. Don't you agree though a fresh faced striker to give us options increases our chances of a top 2 finish?

We can't rely on no goals Brewster who's hamstring is likely to give away anytime he plays, Sharp at 36 where last season fucked him up, McBurnie that struggles to play 3 games in week or Jebbison who just isn't ready yet which proves it with Heckys management of him.

Fair points. Don't you agree though a fresh faced striker to give us options increases our chances of a top 2 finish?

We can't rely on no goals Brewster who's hamstring is likely to give away anytime he plays, Sharp at 36 where last season fucked him up, McBurnie that struggles to play 3 games in week or Jebbison who just isn't ready yet which proves it with Heckys management of him.
If we could open the in-game editor and just drop any player we like into our team, yes. I don’t think we can afford it, though, and I’m not upset about it because I’m not convinced we need it.

I think what we’ve got is good enough to challenge for promotion.

You are missing the point.

Brewster & Jebbo aren't third or fifth choice strikers, they are injured.....so we don't have a third or fifth choice. Even when he is "fit" Jebbo has hardly kicked a ball all season and Brewster is out until at least March.....so we won't have a third or fifth choice for some time. I'm not saying we need to go out and spend x number of millions on a striker, I'm saying we are very weak in that position and it needs strengthening as a matter of urgency.

You obviously are happy for us to go with what we have....fine....but what happens if post January if McBurnie gets a knock and Jebbo's recovery is delayed, what then?

You are missing the point.

Brewster & Jebbo aren't third or fifth choice strikers, they are injured.....so we don't have a third or fifth choice. Even when he is "fit" Jebbo has hardly kicked a ball all season and Brewster is out until at least March.....so we won't have a third or fifth choice for some time. I'm not saying we need to go out and spend x number of millions on a striker, I'm saying we are very weak in that position and it needs strengthening as a matter of urgency.

You obviously are happy for us to go with what we have....fine....but what happens if post January if McBurnie gets a knock and Jebbo's recovery is delayed, what then?
McBurnie gets an injury and Sharp starts every game. Look at last season what it did to Billy 🙈

Ndiaye/Khadra/McAtee/Berge are the two positions behind the number 9 striker IMO.

I’m not missing the point, I just don’t think it’s a very good point.

If McBurnie gets injured and Jebbison isn’t back then we’ll be relying on Sharp until Brewster is ready again. That’s what happens to teams in the Championship—they’re less good when their best players get injured. What if Burnley lose Rodriguez—well, we’ve already seen because he was out when we smashed them. What if Norwich lose Pukki? What if we lose Wes—shall we get another keeper in, too?

If there’s money available and Hecky thinks we need to strengthen in that area then I’m sure he will. I’d be surprised if there is money available to make a significant upgrade on what we already have and I think that’s fine because we got as good a set of options in those positions as you could realistically expect at this level.

Back
Top Bottom