CONFIRMED James McAtee - on season-long loan

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I always thought that would be how it played out if we got promotion. I suspect that any sales contract for a permanent deal for Doyle (£10m would be a decent price) will also have the condition inserted that City get first refusal on him and they can buy him back for a small fee increase (say £20m) if they wish, during the length of his initial contract with us. That way they let him out to play, keep the lad happy, and still have a vested interest in his development. Chances are that he will develop into a steady PL level player but won't be at City levels so the preferential buy back clause will never be invoked, but it's good business all round.

I think Pep has a bit of a soft spot for SUFC and whilst we should never kiss arse, if we are going to take a bone off anyone's table, I hope it will be City's. We should be trying to forge a close working partnership with them and then we might get other opportunities such as up and coming players coming our way. Be daft not too, if we can.

Last edited:
I'd snap their hand off for £10m.
I dont think McAtee will make it as City eithrr but I can see them waiting to see him on loan in the Prem a few times first before they decide to sell..might as well be to us.

Can’t see £10m for Doyle seems low in todays market but if that’s the case then gerrimin

I valued him at £10m in an earlier thread.
One season in the Championship, done reasonably well, but has it to do and prove in the PL. So that’s it for me

What could happen Swiss, is £10m plus add ons based on appearances etc

I valued him at £10m in an earlier thread.
One season in the Championship, done reasonably well, but has it to do and prove in the PL. So that’s it for me

What could happen Swiss, is £10m plus add ons based on appearances etc
Yeah as long as it’s not daft money like £30m - I agree he’s probably a £10m player nowadays but clubs know how desperate that promoted sides are for players

Love both of them. Not a chance Doyle will ever make it into Man City's midfield though.

McAtee has that flair about him so could mature and break into it. But Foden was way ahead of where McAtee is at his age.

I think that Doyle on a perm & McAtee on another loan is a good start to our recruitment for next season.

We'd then have another domestic loan slot we could use, and also have the ability of taking 1 or 2 on loan from a European team/s.

I'd be delighted to see both back next year and I think there's a good chance we see it happen as it makes sense from all sides IMO.

Doyle price? 10-12m initial fee seems right to me. This season is the first he's had (to my knowledge) where he has shown consistently good levels of performance. He is also unlikely to ever command a first 11 shirt for City, but I think he can be a solid premier league midfielder for someone else.

£10m would represent a really good deal all round for me.

We’ve taken some of the risk out of it with a ‘try before you buy.’ And seen what he can do.

In terms of fees - Overall the world has changed since we were last promoted. Fees were at the absolute peak then. Hardly anyone even has huge amounts of cash to just throw around now with the expectation it’s all going to just keep increasing year on year.

I think if you could get o’brien and Doyle for less than we paid for berge it would represent decent and sustainable business. And improve the squad

£10m would represent a really good deal all round for me.

We’ve taken some of the risk out of it with a ‘try before you buy.’ And seen what he can do.

In terms of fees - Overall the world has changed since we were last promoted. Fees were at the absolute peak then. Hardly anyone even has huge amounts of cash to just throw around now with the expectation it’s all going to just keep increasing year on year.

I think if you could get o’brien and Doyle for less than we paid for berge it would represent decent and sustainable business. And improve the squad
O’Brien isn’t good enough for forest and therefore not good enough for us

Man City sold that Romeo lavia to Southampton when he hadn't played a pro game for 14 million with a buy back clause in 3 years for 40 million similar for Doyle would be fine.

O’Brien isn’t good enough for forest and therefore not good enough for us

Sorry but this is absolute nonsense

That level of thinking is like saying JOC wasn’t good enough for Blackburn or No one in the football league thought Ndaiye was up to anything. Different team, different styles and different usage change everything

Forrest signed 900 players and never have him a chance to show what he could do, good or bad. It was the owner playing champ man with no thought for how to build a squad.

He was one of the best players in the championship for a Huddersfield side that nearly went up and subsequently struggled massively without him.

To be clear I’ve no idea if he’s good enough but we need a level of critical thinking greater than he’s not good enough for forest he’s not good enough for us. He’s potentially undervalued given what forest have done signings wise and could be an purchase with significant upside.

If we do get Doyle he should be contracted in a way that makes it possible to keep him if we're relegated

Watching the two of them this season, it's clear which one of the two of them is a "City player" and which one probably isn't. I think they'll have no intention of selling Macca but will want to see him on loan in the PL next season and surely that puts SUFC in pole position. Doyle, whilst he clearly has learnt a lot from KDB, just doesn't feel like a City player: he's definitely capable of being a solid PL midfielder and, if we can afford him, we should definitely be looking at bringing him permanently to the Lane. £10m feels like a good price, £15m feels like a fair price. If we can pay £10-15m for Doyle and get Macca back on loan, that's a good bit of business for us IMO.

Suggestions of 15m being fair for Doyle after, what..... 10 or 15 decent games?

Our negotiators need to be thinking very differently and should be very reluctant to even pay 10m

Our negotiators need to be thinking very differently and should be very reluctant to even pay 10m

Agree.
Doyle was average for large spells of his loan here. I think £7-8m up front with maybe £4/5m add-ons to take it to £11/12m should he achieve some milestones would be fairer value.

£10m max for me plus a couple of add ons

He’s done ok, improved as the season progressed and scored a Worldy in the cup. However, I’m not sure how much improvement is in him as we hopefully move up to the PL? Hopefully plenty, but the days of having our pants down with massive fees is surely over unless we are signing proven PL players and then it’s very doubtful we have enough in the kitty for any big signings. We need quite a few signings for next season and I can’t see past quantity over quality due to lack of funds?

£10m max for me plus a couple of add ons

He’s done ok, improved as the season progressed and scored a Worldy in the cup. However, I’m not sure how much improvement is in him as we hopefully move up to the PL? Hopefully plenty, but the days of having our pants down with massive fees is surely over unless we are signing proven PL players and then it’s very doubtful we have enough in the kitty for any big signings. We need quite a few signings for next season and I can’t see past quantity over quality due to lack of funds?
And one of the best ways to have your pants down is to succumb to recency bias, eg chucking 40m at a player who had a good world cup who was previously considered a mediocrity

I get it with Doyle, a lot is about a positional switch and staying fit for a proper period - game changing factors. But it doesn't mean the rest of his spell here should be disregarded when negotiating

I'd do about 7-8m rising to a maximum of 12 if fairly ambitious conditions are met, same as CaptainMorgans pretty much

We’ve benefitted more from Doyle following a slight tweek in midfield. He’s a steady player on the ball and shown he can hit the odd screamer too.
I do t think he’s a quality prem player but his age is perfect for a team likely to be coming back down.
So if we can get him for that price then go for it, if it’s creeping up to £15m look at other options on the continent and less fashionable clubs who also have similar potential.
You’re deffo paying a premium for his parent club being Man City…same said for other top sides.

I think Pep has a bit of a soft spot for SUFC and whilst we should never kiss arse, if we are going to take a bone off anyone's table, I hope it will be City's. We should be trying to forge a close working partnership with them and then we might get other opportunities such as up and coming players coming our way. Be daft not too, if we can.
Isn't our ex Head of Development now in a similar roles at City? Can't remember his name. He worked closely with Hecky when Hecky was in charge of the 23s. Think that is how we managed to get Doyle and McAtee and also how the young kid at U15 moved the other way in the winter.

If we can’t get Doyle then go and get Gus Hamer from Coventry…or just get both of them

Doyle for £10m? Not a chance
They're not greedy sellers City, they believe in their players having a career over preventing that with unrealistic fees. Don't get me wrong we won't get him cheap though. I'd expect £12-15m is the fee with most paid upfront and the rest on appearances etc

Why not ?

They're not greedy sellers City, they believe in their players having a career over preventing that with unrealistic fees. Don't get me wrong we won't get him cheap though. I'd expect £12-15m is the fee with most paid upfront and the rest on appearances etc
They sold a teenager with zero professional games to Southampton for 14 million and he didn't even have the English add on to that fee. I think 14 million would be the absolute minimum we could expect to get him for

Back
Top Bottom