Berge - Souza

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Berge looked a beast on Monday night. Think they will now play him rcm moving forward.

Maybe it’s been said already in this thread but surely Berge’s replacement is more Hamer than it is Souza? So not a fair comparison imo

Anyway, let’s remember that even if Berge did well for 20 mins on Monday, he came on because he’d been dropped for being shizzle in the first few games. He just isn’t great at anything that makes him stand out as a midfielder (tackling, passing, goal contributions etc) which is a shame as his physique lends itself to him being a great player

We look well placed to complete in the 24/25 Championship promotion race to me
Agree, but we would not be had we kept Berge and Iliman this year and lost them for nothing next year. (Of course we don’t know whether either set of players would keep us up anyway……..just opinions😊)

Maybe it’s been said already in this thread but surely Berge’s replacement is more Hamer than it is Souza? So not a fair comparison imo

Anyway, let’s remember that even if Berge did well for 20 mins on Monday, he came on because he’d been dropped for being shizzle in the first few games. He just isn’t great at anything that makes him stand out as a midfielder (tackling, passing, goal contributions etc) which is a shame as his physique lends itself to him being a great player

Which is also fairly typical of Berge. We know he's not useless.
He has big moments in his locker. He just doesn't do it for a full 90 minutes, nor for a prolonged spell of matches.

He will produce a lot of moments for Burnley. He's a PL level player in a confident team that play in the right position. Just don't expect too much of him if you're not playing well and if you're asking him to do too much defensive work. It's not his game.

We traded a year of Berge for 3 of Hamer. And that's a good trade.
Souza has nothing to do with it, totally different players in different positions.
And whilst Hamer is already showing his quality, Souza has a long way to go.

He has big moments in his locker. He just doesn't do it for a full 90 minutes, nor for a prolonged spell of matches.

He will produce a lot of moments for Burnley. He's a PL level player in a confident team that play in the right position. Just don't expect too much of him if you're not playing well and if you're asking him to do too much defensive work. It's not his game.

Souza has nothing to do with it, totally different players in different positions.

Agree with 99% of this Captain. I’d argue we’ve swapped 1 year of Berge for 1 year of Hamer and about £20m.

I think you are looking at that through rose tinted glasses.

McAtee replaces McAtee
Hamer replaces Berge
Archer replaces Ndayie
Souza replaces Doyle
Traore replaces Sharp
Trusty replaces Clarke
Larouchi replaces Stevens
Slimane replaces khadra (albeit 6 months late)
Thomas and Davies are extra depth although needed due to Fleck, Osborn, Lowe and RND

Overall we look a bit stronger than last season but we've had to spend a lot to replace 3 first team regulars and the replacements for squad players released are mainly gambles and "one for the future".

We look well placed to complete in the 24/25 Championship promotion race to me
I see only Hamer and possibly Trusty as an improvement

Agree 100 per cent

Don’t see his contribution at all at mo but it’s very early days

Not sure if I’m just missing what everyone else is seeing with Souza. Very early days but looks a little limited to me.
What was you expecting in a side going to struggle all season? I think he's done good. His game is breaking up play and passing it to the more creative attacking players, I'm glad we finally have a big shithouse in midfield.

What was you expecting in a side going to struggle all season? I think he's done good. His game is breaking up play and passing it to the more creative attacking players, I'm glad we finally have a big shithouse in midfield.

The difficulty I have is he can’t play the deep role on his own as he doesn’t have the progressing passing ability to orchestrate play. You need to play Norwood alongside him. I wouldn’t move Hamer back as you lose his attacking threat. But I’m not sure he’s (Souza) is a box-to-box guy.

Need to see more from him as it’s a limited sample size obviously, but he feels like he could be a niche player.

Last edited:
I expect him to get better when the fitness improves and he gets to grips with the speed of the English game. Some worrying signs in the last 2 games with players easily going past him and he's looked really slow but it's a new league with a struggling team. I think he will turn out to be a decent signing.

The difficulty I have is he can’t play the deep role on his own as he doesn’t have the progressing passing ability to orchestrate play. You need to play Norwood alongside him. I wouldn’t move Hamer back as you lose his attacking threat. But I’m not sure he’s (Souza) is a box-to-box guy.

Need to see more from him as it’s a limited sample size obviously, but he feels like he could be a niche player.
Maybe a Davies or Slimane next to him once fit?

Sure I heard commentator on stream I was watching say Souza has got second most successful tackles in the league?!.

Just seen Berge got sent off today for two yellows!

Fair play if Konpany has got him putting tackles in 👏 👏 👏.
The first booking was one of those where the ref played advantage for a nothing sort of foul, Burnley broke away and had a good chance, and then Villa broke away and scored. The ref went back and booked Berge to show that he was paying attention rather than for the severity of the foul.

The second was a blatant shirt pull on a man going nowhere. sometimes you get booked, sometimes not, but if you catch the ref at a bad moment, you're asking for it.

The first booking was one of those where the ref played advantage for a nothing sort of foul, Burnley broke away and had a good chance, and then Villa broke away and scored. The ref went back and booked Berge to show that he was paying attention rather than for the severity of the foul.

The second was a blatant shirt pull on a man going nowhere. sometimes you get booked, sometimes not, but if you catch the ref at a bad moment, you're asking for it.
Seeing as I've always been Berge's biggest fan I'm disappointed he didn't get a straight red for a leg breaker.

Softie.

Back
Top Bottom