CONFIRMED James McAtee - on season-long loan

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Macca may not be everyone's idea of a perfect signing for us in what may be a defensive, backs to the wall season, but he fought fucking hard for this promotion with the squad, and deserves a reyt good go at it. His development is on a vertical trajectory and I think he's absolutely ready to cut it with a team like ours in the top tier.

I'd love to see them both back, because they'll have the desire to keep us there. The ingredients of our 19/20 season.

Give it half a season and he'll be too good for bottom end PL, and we'll reap the benefits. Same as it was in the championship this season

I woukdnt at all be surprised if they are both playing for us next season
Its what citeh do
If they see macca as their player long term they will want him playing in the prem now and same doyle
Woukdnt surprise me if we got both on low fee buyback deals

I see us getting Doyle on a permanent with a lowish buy back clause inserted for City. That way they are covered as the selling club and keep a vested interest in the lad. We are in a way meeting them halfway as he develops and they pick him up aslt a decent price if he becomes top class. In all reality he won't ever be Man City standard so its just insurance for them that will never be invoked.

McAtee may get time for City at some time in the future if he keeps progressing and his is still a year younger than Doyle was. Remember as good as Doyle has been for us in the second part of the season he was nowhere near as effective as McAtee was for us when he was with Cardiff last season and McAtees age. So I see a loan for McAtee to Utd but we ain't getting him on a permanent deal. City value him too highly. Maybe in the future though if City have a change of heart and we are still in the PL....

I woukdnt at all be surprised if they are both playing for us next season
Its what citeh do
If they see macca as their player long term they will want him playing in the prem now and same doyle
Woukdnt surprise me if we got both on low fee buyback deals
If you believe everything you hear then the talk is that Doyle is coming back (permanently) with a ‘buy back’ clause. Which is great news!
However, McAtee is staying put at City. Which is strange to me as I thought he’d be a shoe in for another loan deal. Do City think he’s ready for the 1st team? Or do we see him as a luxury we can’t afford? Surely not!
Only time will tell, but obviously I hope half of this is true and the other half is complete fabrication!

If you believe everything you hear then the talk is that Doyle is coming back (permanently) with a ‘buy back’ clause. Which is great news!
However, McAtee is staying put at City. Which is strange to me as I thought he’d be a shoe in for another loan deal. Do City think he’s ready for the 1st team? Or do we see him as a luxury we can’t afford? Surely not!
Only time will tell, but obviously I hope half of this is true and the other half is complete fabrication!

As a City fan, I'm making my first post on here since the Blades clinched promotion. So congratulations - well deserved over the season.

What's been said about McAtee at our end is that Guardiola wants him back for pre-season to assess him and will then decide whether to loan the player out or keep him with the City squad next season. So it all depends on Pep, and it's not necessarily easy to guess what decisions he'll make. However, this season City kept Cole Palmer assuming he'd get game time and it's clear that Pep doesn't trust him right now. Maybe he won't want the same to happen with McAtee so that might make another loan a likelier prospect.

As for sales of young players, City usually accept a smaller up-front fee in return for other clauses in the deal. Obviously, a buy-back is the main one, usually around 2.5 times the original fee, I believe. Then we tend to ask for a right to match any other bid the buying club accepts that's below the buy-out value. And we ask for a cut of any future profit if he's sold.

The idea is that we have an incentive to let the player leave now rather than loan him out again to increase the value for a later sale. And the buying club will still have a good chance to make a hefty profit if they succeed in improving the player.

As a City fan, I'm making my first post on here since the Blades clinched promotion. So congratulations - well deserved over the season.

What's been said about McAtee at our end is that Guardiola wants him back for pre-season to assess him and will then decide whether to loan the player out or keep him with the City squad next season. So it all depends on Pep, and it's not necessarily easy to guess what decisions he'll make. However, this season City kept Cole Palmer assuming he'd get game time and it's clear that Pep doesn't trust him right now. Maybe he won't want the same to happen with McAtee so that might make another loan a likelier prospect.

As for sales of young players, City usually accept a smaller up-front fee in return for other clauses in the deal. Obviously, a buy-back is the main one, usually around 2.5 times the original fee, I believe. Then we tend to ask for a right to match any other bid the buying club accepts that's below the buy-out value. And we ask for a cut of any future profit if he's sold.

The idea is that we have an incentive to let the player leave now rather than loan him out again to increase the value for a later sale. And the buying club will still have a good chance to make a hefty profit if they succeed in improving the player.

Good business. I like it.

We've got a deal.

Thank you for this. Keep us informed if you hear anything your end.
For what it’s worth… I do think McAtee is destined for the top (I’ve stated this in other threads)
Hopefully (for us Blades) Pep decides a full season away will be more beneficial to his development 👍

Star now saying as above, that pep wants to have a look at him in the summer and that they are Offering him a new contract so can only see it being a loan for mctee

First of all… Daily Mail! 🙄
But regardless, no other team coming in for McAtee bothers me. If he’s going on loan he’s coming here. Likes Hecky and the staff, the players, the fans. Loved it!

there May or may not be truth in this but to be sure the daily mail will take pleasure if it happens

First of all… Daily Mail! 🙄
But regardless, no other team coming in for McAtee bothers me. If he’s going on loan he’s coming here. Likes Hecky and the staff, the players, the fans. Loved it!
If I were Pep, I might think sending him to learn a different game in a different style in a different team might benefit him more. Burnley play in a way which suits him more than us. I'd not bank on him coming back.

If I were Pep, I might think sending him to learn a different game in a different style in a different team might benefit him more. Burnley play in a way which suits him more than us. I'd not bank on him coming back.
Correct Burnley under Kompany style their play on Man City. Could that be what Pep wants? 🤔

Correct Burnley under Kompany style their play on Man City. Could that be what Pep wants? 🤔
I think we've vastly improved his all round game. I suspect he'll want to see him concentrate on his final ball/attacking play next season. He loses it way too much and needs to improve his decision making.

If burnley play like that next season they will really struggle

I think we’re over thinking this a tad.
A. NOBODY plays like Man City.
B. When we loan players out do we look for teams that play our way? Or do we look for game time and the coaches.
C. It’s worked here already. Surely a no brainer right?
If I was Pep I’d stick with a winning formula.
If I was McAtee I’d come back to the place where I’m happy.

I think we’re over thinking this a tad.
A. NOBODY plays like Man City.
B. When we loan players out do we look for teams that play our way? Or do we look for game time and the coaches.
C. It’s worked here already. Surely a no brainer right?
If I was Pep I’d stick with a winning formula.
If I was McAtee I’d come back to the place where I’m happy.
Agreed Coatsey. However I'm a bit worried this isn't great for us. If Pep wants to look at him in pre season and then decide does it mean we are hanging around waiting for a decision that may not go our way potentially leaving us short when the season starts?

Agreed Coatsey. However I'm a bit worried this isn't great for us. If Pep wants to look at him in pre season and then decide does it mean we are hanging around waiting for a decision that may not go our way potentially leaving us short when the season starts?

I also think, given Brentford's supposed interest, that sending him there next year may be tempting over him returning to Utd.

I hope not but we may see the return of a flat mid 3 thereby limiting McAtee's chances next season

Potentially this could be a problem. We will have contingency plans in place... it's not ideal but that's the position we're in at least for this window.

I also think, given Brentford's supposed interest, that sending him there next year may be tempting over him returning to Utd.

I hope not but we may see the return of a flat mid 3 thereby limiting McAtee's chances next season
Maybe... I hope we don't go back to the flat 3. But that might be wishful thinking on my behalf!

Maybe... I hope we don't go back to the flat 3. But that might be wishful thinking on my behalf!

I'm with you - but would Berge and Doyle / O'Brien be able to cope in a 2 or will McAtee's role be sacrificed to become more solid at a cost of a loss of creativity? Jack Lester eluded to it yesterday - perhaps it will be a case of horses for courses next season. It would be suicidal to set up to attack at The Etihad, Anfield and The Emirates but there may be more scope to do so at home and v lower sides.

I'm wondering, depending on signings, whether our players are more suited to 442 in the Premier league.

A defence of Baldock, Egan, Anel and RND with a 4 in front of McAtee on the left, Doyle, box to box signing and Berge with Illi and goalscorer signing might be our best option ?

I'm wondering, depending on signings, whether our players are more suited to 442 in the Premier league.

A defence of Baldock, Egan, Anel and RND with a 4 in front of McAtee on the left, Doyle, box to box signing and Berge with Illi and goalscorer signing might be our best option ?
Or perhaps even 4-2-3-1 which would afford more protection to the back 4.

No chance City are selling low on Doyle, we might get him but it’s going to be more than many think, he has just had one of if not his best seasons ever getting promoted to prem

McAtee will be loan at best and possibly loaned to other prem teams who knows

Liverpool wanted to have a long pre season look at Woodburn, ffs

Of course City were gonna do it with McAtee

I predict he'll join up with us about a week before the season starts

Not sure many at the club will be too happy with having to wait until the last minute before knowing if they can get him, we only have two loan spots

Or perhaps even 4-2-3-1 which would afford more protection to the back 4.
Whichever way you look at it if we are going with 3 at the back we need better right and left wing backs.

Baldock final ball into the box isn't good enough to play there and Bogle isnt good enough defensively. On the other side neither Lowe or RND are good enough.

However with a back 4 both Baldock and RND are good enough defensively and we'd have McAtee and Berge pushing forward

Back
Top Bottom