James Hanson

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Remember in league one when we couldn’t break teams down?

We went more direct, put the big lad up front and got a knock down to Sharp. GOAL.

We need the championship James Hanson.

We need the Championship James Hanson in the sense that we need, Height, But combined with pace and power... a Brian Deane type.

£15m minimum in today’s market.

We went more direct, put the big lad up front and got a knock down to Sharp. GOAL.

I know what you mean, but I'd like to think the solution is a bit more sophisticated than that. We have moved on a bit since then.

I am still a fan of having the option of a big man up front. I know it's gone terribly out of fashion on the continent, where teams, like Spain, are made up of marauding little short-arses, but that's not a good reason for copying them. We did that many years ago when we copied the continentals and started playing without wingers. OK so we won the World Cup - fair do's - but you can stick your Jules Rimet up your rimmer for all I care - I still think the game is better played with wingers and a big man up front. I pay my Council Tax, I'm entitled to my opinion - ok?

The reason Clarke even gets a game, is because he's the ONLY player at the club, the ONLY one, who can play in a traditional centre forward role. And for you young lads on here who don't know what I mean by that, I mean possess some aerial power and physicality, to hold the ball up, lay it off and generally drag centre halves all over the place and give them a torrid time of it. The centre forward of yore was usually the one player no one on the opposite side wanted to mark. Because he was a bloody handful. One of the best examples ever to grace this city was a certain Mr Derek Dooley (RIP). He'd not just put the ball in the net, but the goalkeeper as well. You could do that back then and get away with it. You can't nowadays - but hopefully you get the idea?

I was an admirer of this guy back in the day too...

malcolm-macdonald.jpg

If you don't know who the guy in the striped shirt is - ask thi fatha - or someone of an older generation. Because that is "SuperMac" the original, genuine and warranted. Malcolm McDonald - a young man who burst onto the scene with Luton Town in the 1970's and quickly gained a fearsome reputation for being a wrecking ball of a centre forward - with some skill too! Here you see him playing for Newcastle United in a familiar role, driving hard at the heart of the opposition defence, ripping them apart. As an aside...this photo is from the 1974 FA Cup semi-final, played at Hillsboro, between Newcastle United and Burnley. SuperMac smashed in 2 goals to take Newcastle through.

Now - if you're saying to me we need a player like SuperMac - I'd say "yes please", because he was sensational. But James Hanson? Nah mate. Sorry. Always put a shift in for us but Hanson had the height and brawn and not a lot else. We need more than that.

I think we need the physical presence, but also the pace and skill element. That's likely to not be available in one player.

We'll see. But for sure if Wilder can add these ingredients to the pot we'll be pretty much unstoppable I think.

We need the Championship James Hanson in the sense that we need, Height, But combined with pace and power... a Brian Deane type.

£15m minimum in today’s market.
Wednesday have 2 strikers that fit that mould......

I know what you mean, but I'd like to think the solution is a bit more sophisticated than that. We have moved on a bit since then.

I am still a fan of having the option of a big man up front. I know it's gone terribly out of fashion on the continent, where teams, like Spain, are made up of marauding little short-arses, but that's not a good reason for copying them. We did that many years ago when we copied the continentals and started playing without wingers. OK so we won the World Cup - fair do's - but you can stick your Jules Rimet up your rimmer for all I care - I still think the game is better played with wingers and a big man up front. I pay my Council Tax, I'm entitled to my opinion - ok?

The reason Clarke even gets a game, is because he's the ONLY player at the club, the ONLY one, who can play in a traditional centre forward role. And for you young lads on here who don't know what I mean by that, I mean possess some aerial power and physicality, to hold the ball up, lay it off and generally drag centre halves all over the place and give them a torrid time of it. The centre forward of yore was usually the one player no one on the opposite side wanted to mark. Because he was a bloody handful. One of the best examples ever to grace this city was a certain Mr Derek Dooley (RIP). He'd not just put the ball in the net, but the goalkeeper as well. You could do that back then and get away with it. You can't nowadays - but hopefully you get the idea?

malcolm-macdonald.jpg

If you don't know who the guy in the striped shirt is - ask thi fatha - or someone of an older generation. Because that is "SuperMac" the original, genuine and warranted. Malcolm McDonald - a young man who burst onto the scene with Luton Town in the 1970's and quickly gained a fearsome reputation for being a wrecking ball of a centre forward - with some skill too! Here you see him playing for Newcastle United in a familiar role, driving hard at the heart of the opposition defence, ripping them apart. As an aside...this photo is from the 1974 FA Cup semi-final, played at Hillsboro, between Newcastle United and Burnley. SuperMac smashed in 2 goals to take Newcastle through.

Now - if you're saying to me we need a player like SuperMac - I'd say "yes please", because he was sensational. But James Hanson? Nah mate. Sorry. Always put a shift in for us but Hanson had the height and brawn and not a lot else. We need more than that.

I think we need the physical presence, but also the pace and skill element. That's likely to not be available in one player.

We'll see. But for sure if Wilder can add these ingredients to the pot we'll be pretty much unstoppable I think.

Malcolm McDonald was also extremely fast, over 100 yards I think he would have met Olympic athlete qualifying time.. He was also full of himself and talked a lot about what he’d to the opposition. You don’t get that type of « personality » in football today. I recollect him more as a Luton player in 1971. I think they were near the top of the 2nd division with us and Leicester etc. I was at the 1976 League Cup final when Newcastle lost to Man City, Peter Barnes, Asa « hole in the heart » Hartford

Malcolm McDonald was also extremely fast, over 100 yards I think he would have met Olympic athlete qualifying time.. He was also full of himself and talked a lot about what he’d to the opposition. You don’t get that type of « personality » in football today. I recollect him more as a Luton player in 1971. I think they were near the top of the 2nd division with us and Leicester etc. I was at the 1976 League Cup final when Newcastle lost to Man City, Peter Barnes, Asa « hole in the heart » Hartford

Yes I remember it well. I remember him playing for Luton Town and coming out in the papers before our home game with them, saying he wasn't scared of any centre half, least of all, Eddie Colquhon. Whether he was genuinely an arrogant man, or whether it was all a bit of an act to get him noticed, I don't know. This was the 1970's though. An era when it was rather fashionable to shout your mouth off about how good you were.

hqdefault.jpg

Supermac got 2 against us for Arsenal at the Lane in cup in a 5-0 defeat if I remember correctly! Ooh !

Yep ... just found this.

Yes I remember it well. I remember him playing for Luton Town and coming out in the papers before our home game with them, saying he wasn't scared of any centre half, least of all, Eddie Colquhon. Whether he was genuinely an arrogant man, or whether it was all a bit of an act to get him noticed, I don't know. This was the 1970's though.

I remember being at the Blades v Luton match in February 1971 but dont remember seeing Colquhoun mocking MacDonald on the pitch after the match. Some years later my dad was saying that MacDonald claimed in the papers that it was easy for him to score in the 2nd division because the centre backs werent that good. My dad said Colquhoun had MacDonald in his pocket throughout the game as the Blades won 2-1. After the game MacDonald looked distraught as Colquhoun mockingly slow hand clapped at him. Wish I had noticed that!

Kieffer Moore?

Would take Crouch over Carroll, because he'd probably manage more than 45 minutes.

I'd much rather us sign pace anyway, proper pace. We STILL haven't bothered with that after all this time.

That number 19 for Wales last night showed us exactly what we are missing most.

Yes, teams tried matching our formation and I felt mobile, aggressive players in the centre half positions often had good games against us. They came prepared and well up for it, looked to enjoy the back against the wall-games, defending deep, plenty of men back, allowing us possession and getting blocks in when we did get the ball into the box. We were most often going for intricate passing and low, rather than high crosses.

Results in November-January showed that we did find it a struggle to get through teams, not scoring loads:

Bury 1-0 (Ebanks-Landell goal in injury time, they had two sent off)
Walsall 0-1
Swindon 4-0 (0-0 at half time, then they collapsed)
Oldham 2-0 (Sharp with 2 in the last 20 mins)
Northampton 1-0 (Freeman 89')
Gillingham 2-2
Fleetwood 0-2

In the next match Hanson started, we won 4-0 and we didn't lose again that season, regularly scoring 3 goals per game. As you said Hanson made those deep defending tactics less effective. The option of a high cross gave the opposition another problem and we started scoring more again, without resorting to going long all the time. It just made us less predictable.

malcolm-macdonald.jpg

Bert was sat in the Leppings Lane stand when that photo was taken.
The thing with SuperMac was that when he had the ball he went straight for goal, not left or right, and if anyone was in his way he went straight through them.

Kieffer Moore?

Would take Crouch over Carroll, because he'd probably manage more than 45 minutes.

I'd much rather us sign pace anyway, proper pace. We STILL haven't bothered with that after all this time.

That number 19 for Wales last night showed us exactly what we are missing most.

Agree. Keiffer Moore is the answer. Baller.

malcolm-macdonald.jpg

I must none on the same wavelength as CW as I like watching Leon play. As he us a traditional centre forward & he nearly always provides assists for Billy.

Zohore/Crouch/Moore/QuAnEr

Defoe/LoNg

Freeman/OzTuMeR

Three signings from that lot would get us up, unless two or more were the QuEeR options.

I'd rather we take a punt on a younger lad than waste money on a short term solution, which I don't think would work.

I want a goalscoring target man and a pacey finisher but if I could only have one it would be the pacey goalscorer.

Our style suits a fast break more than a big boot plan B.

Back
Top Bottom