Jamal Blackman

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

It's a sad reflection on the loan policy teams like Chelsea have that he's only managed 129 career appearances over 10 years after turning pro. If he'd have come through at one of the smaller London clubs there's a reasonable expectation he could have tripled that as a number one goalkeeper over a decade.
At least that will end now to an extent.

They will still be hoarding going players tl a point but the days of retaining 21-26 year olds like some sort of cash mule look to be done at least.

Lewis Baker's career. 8 years at Chelsea, zero league apps, a handful of cup appearances and 8 loans before joining Stoke. I don't see what the benefit is for Chelsea or the player.

1643848142734.png

Lewis Baker's career. 8 years at Chelsea, zero league apps, a handful of cup appearances and 8 loans before joining Stoke. I don't see what the benefit is for Chelsea or the player.

View attachment 129442

it’s served Chelsea very well and will continue to do so until it’s finally outlawed by the football authorities

View attachment 129442

Standard case of Chelsea’s ‘football farming’ policy.

Sign loads of players on long-terms contracts and loan them out for X amount of years in the hope they increase in value to be sold on. Think they had over 40 players out on loan the other year.

A lot of them end up going for nowt in the end, like Baker and Blackman. The best part of their careers have been wasted but I doubt they’ll care being sat on £30k+ a week for that long.

Pretty sure Ethan Ampadu signed a new contract last summer despite never being good enough to break into their first team.

I can only think of Mason Mount who’s managed to break through and is still there. They even sacked off Kevin De Bruyne and Mo Salah a few years back which looks outrageous now.

Sign loads of players on long-terms contracts and loan them out for X amount of years in the hope they increase in value to be sold on. Think they had over 40 players out on loan the other year.

A lot of them end up going for nowt in the end, like Baker and Blackman. The best part of their careers have been wasted but I doubt they’ll care being sat on £30k+ a week for that long.

Pretty sure Ethan Ampadu signed a new contract last summer despite never being good enough to break into their first team.

I can only think of Mason Mount who’s managed to break through and is still there. They even sacked off Kevin De Bruyne and Mo Salah a few years back which looks outrageous now.
Definitely agree re: years gone by. But there's Reece James too. This season Hudson-Odoi & Trevoh Chalobah have been pretty well utilized too. I suspect Conor Gallagher will be next year. I think they're actually started to give their younger players a chance now and it's refreshing.

Definitely agree re: years gone by. But there's Reece James too. This season Hudson-Odoi & Trevoh Chalobah have been pretty well utilized too. I suspect Conor Gallagher will be next year. I think they're actually started to give their younger players a chance now and it's refreshing.

Yeah good shout, completely bypassed them all when I was typing that out.

The need for instant success and high turnover of managers there hasn’t been kind to their youngsters historically but the transfer ban and Lampard having a season in charge definitely helped break the mould.

They also almost universally make a profit off those players in terms of the loan fees paid for them during their time at Chelsea. That makes any transfer fee paid at the end of it a bonus.

it’s served Chelsea very well and will continue to do so until it’s finally outlawed by the football authorities

I can only think of Mason Mount who’s managed to break through and is still there.
There's also been Abraham, Tomori and Loftus-Cheek.

Loftus-Cheek is 26 now and he's only made just over 100 league appearances, 54 of which were on loan. I actually can't think of any of their academy players going for 'big' money. They all just seem to eventually run down their contracts and leave for free.

I also don't get why the players would be happy, although they obviously can't be that unhappy or they'd ask to leave. When you see players interviewed and I've seen loads of 'undr the cosh' ones, one of the main things that comes across is that players just want to be playing, regardless of how much money they're getting.

If a club has money, then Chelseas model is the model to follow. it should be outlawed but it isnt

Chelsea have a net spend of £132m over 5 years according to the link thats less than the following

Man City
Man Utd
Everton
Arsenal
Brighton
West ham
Wolves
Aston Villa

Back
Top Bottom