Jack Charlton is dead

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I'm too young to remember his time at Hillsborough and ergo his time at Leeds also.

My earliest recollection was of his Ireland team defying the odds at Italia 90 and Bonner saving a penalty as well as the Ray Houghton finish.

A legend of the game to be fair. A down to earth likeable, warm personality I felt and a sentiment others have shared despite his granite exterior.

I never quite understood why that line in the song and to be honest it would be fitting to retire it now. It's was in poor taste but even more so now.

RIP Big Jack.

Last edited:
That Leeds team of the 70s has certainly took a hit this year.....RIP big Jack.

I'm too young to remember his time at Hillsborough and ergo his time at Leeds also.

My earliest recollection was of his Ireland team defying the odds at Italia 90 and Bonner saving a penalty as well as the Day Houghton finish.

A legend of the game to be fair. A down to earth likeable, warm personality I felt and a sentiment others have shared despite his granite exterior.

I never quite understood why that line in the song and to be honest it would be fitting to retire it now. It's was in poor taste but even more so now.

RIP Big Jack.
Line in the song was because he was Pigmanager at the time. Only downsides about Big Jack was he played for Dirty Leeds and managed the Pigs.

There's some good stuff about him and his time at Wednesday in Alan Biggs' book.

Loyal oneclub man, and a beast of CH. Suprisingly won his first cap aged 30. One of soccers hall of fame

Line in the song was because he was Pigmanager at the time. Only downsides about Big Jack was he played for Dirty Leeds and managed the Pigs.
Sorry I should explain. I get that he used to manage Wednesday and play for Revie's Leeds. I just thought it was odd quoting his demise when he was alive. Now he has passed it would be in particularly poor taste. You know how the other lot like to remind us how 'classy' they are. No need to give them a free hit and show ourselves as disrespectful.

If EFL did their job properly it should just be...... “No Pigs.”

RIP Jack. Thanks for the memories. We had a mad time in Ireland with Jack. Euro 88. Italia 90. USA 94. People might have disagreed over our playing style but big Jack was a great character. Loved his fishing and kept coming back for years just for that.

Very sad news to hear of his death. I never associated him with Wednesday because I was only born in 1979 and I remember him fondly with the Republic of Ireland, making a team out of average and good players into a team that was a match for anyone on their day - similar to Chris Wilder and United in that way. A really big character and will be sadly missed, particularly in Ireland I'm sure. I wonder if they'll create a national holiday in his honour there, they should do.

It’s always sad to hear that someone has passed. Jack Charlton has always been there throughout my life. He was a character and a thoroughly likeable person. His approach and attitude was one we can all relate to. His Ireland team was a joy to watch and I certainly routed for them... especially in 94 when we weren’t there!
RIP big man... thanks for the memories!

I only really knew him through the republic world cups and fishing shows he did years back. He gave us something to cheer when England where AWOL. He always seemed a real gent and will be missed. RIP Jack.

RIP jack , always detested that stupid song that (cant say we sung cus i never sung it ) was sung, and we should never sing that again !!!!

Used to work with one of Jacks brothers who lives in Rotherham , Jack was a true character who i always respected .

RIP jack , always detested that stupid song that (cant say we sung cus i never sung it ) was sung, and we should never sing that again !!!!

Used to work with one of Jacks brothers who lives in Rotherham , Jack was a true character who i always respected .
Played for Leeds, managed Wensdeh, maybe another statue alongside Dooley is the way to go

So sad to hear, RIP Jack. What you did for the whole nations moral in 66 (together with the other ten heroes) will never be forgotten. I wish a lot of todays players had the same no nonsense, honest, approach to the game that you always showed every time you played.

The song was not ever to be literal because he clearly wasn’t dead. Like many chants ‘swinging a pig from Hyde park flats’ shouldn’t be seen as literal. This chants are just meant to show the weakness of in this instance our neighbours. To take all chants literally and object or act on them would take a very odd individual. All Forest fans aren’t ‘scabs’ neither literally in terms of a scab or in the sense of going into work when the union voted against them doing it, we can tag onto this that many of our fans won’t even know what a ‘scab’ is but they sing it to goad opposition fans. I love the song ‘Jack Charlton is dead’ but would be respectful of a minutes silence for the chap and his services to his country and football in general. If we were going to deconstruct every football chant and how it upsets someone there would be very few chants left to song. Thanks for everything Jack Charlton but you annoyed us and because you were good you were worthy of being made part of one our great songs, I’m sure he’d understand and even laugh about it.

RIP Jack. Mad as a hatter but a true legend of the game. A world cup winner and let's face it we won't see many English ones of them. What he did at Ireland was phenomenal and finally, rivalry aside, one of the all time Wednesday greats.

Back
Top Bottom