Is he coming back?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Disagree.....if the Prince is selling up...then he's only focussed on this season.
Suspect he has no interest it putting down a proper strategic plan and dishing out a 4 year contract for an ambitious up and coming manager.
The logic is, new owners tend to want to bring in their own man and start their own plan.
So who ever we have as manager this season is likely to be sacked and paid off, when we're taken over.

The Prince will either stick with Hecky or bring someone in on a 1 season contract, probably low paid with a massive staying up bonus.
The new man might be told he must work with McCall and Lester and it's a massive bonus if they can hit the ground running.

Wilder already knows most of the players and knows the club and the owner inside out.
The Prince is hoping for a miracle, so his logic will be, he's seen Wilder perform a miracle much harder than this seasons task
by talking a team bottom of league 1 to the edge of the Champions league places. It was only covid that stopped the charge.

Our history shows that whenever we bring on outsiders, it tends not to work. (Robson, Adkins, Slav)
However when we appoint people linked to the club or from within (Blackwell, Wilder, Hecky) then it's tended to be a success.
Anyhow suspect the Prince will think he's only giving Wilder a 7 month contract, so what does he have to lose?

If I was owner then the timing is important.
Hecky generally has the support of the fanbase, so there's no urgency to gamble yet.
However let's say we're outclassed by both Wolves and Bournmouth, then surely the crowd will turn.
My issue is never the result, in fact the results have been respectable, my issue is the performances where we always look 2 leagues below the opposition. The Man Utd 1st half is the only game where we played the Sheffield United way, we might lose, we might get relegated but we should go down fighting, competing, making it tough for the opposition, with a game plan, belief and attitude to try and win.

If we repeat that 1st half Man Utd performance on a regular basis, then Hecky stays. If we continue to be so far away from this level, that before the match, you feel like there's no hope we can possibly win, then Hecky must go.....but only if we have a replacement lined up.
Think injuries had just as big an impact on Wilders charge. Think if it wasn't for that we would have been fine despite COVID.
Not sure what anyone could do with the team with the amount of injuries we've got at the mo.

Think injuries had just as big an impact on Wilders charge. Think if it wasn't for that we would have been fine despite COVID.
Not sure what anyone could do with the team with the amount of injuries we've got at the mo.
The first PL season 11 picked its self.

Getting beyond a joke now.
Agreed. It’s utterly disrespectful to Heckingbottom, and is destabilising and distracting from the targeting of all reasonable efforts towards getting our act together on the pitch. While I appreciate the fact that the Owner and his Board shouldn’t be wasting time on responding to gossip, it’s fast reaching the stage where they need to say something one way or the other, and soon, particularly if it is their intention to continue to support Heckingbottom.

Agreed. It’s utterly disrespectful to Heckingbottom, and is destabilising and distracting from the targeting of all reasonable efforts towards getting our act together on the pitch. While I appreciate the fact that the Owner and his Board shouldn’t be wasting time on responding to gossip, it’s fast reaching the stage where they need to say something one way or the other, and soon, particularly if it is their intention to continue to support Heckingbottom.

I agree too, it was talksport of course, they'll say anything to whip up a few fans to get a reaction... Its the bussiness they're in, if you've ever listened to a phone in after the champions league, well it's the show that winds them up when they've lost, sort of in offencive trolling.

But and I have to say it, they're usually in the know about these kind of things.

I agree too, it was talksport of course, they'll say anything to whip up a few fans to get a reaction... Its the bussiness they're in, if you've ever listened to a phone in after the champions league, well it's the show that winds them up when they've lost, sort of in offencive trolling.

But and I have to say it, they're usually in the know about these kind of things.
They are sometimes I'd say.
When you see it's being reported by a Peter o Rourke journo you know it's got legs. Hasn't yet.

It's strange scenario if that's what the club is doing because they surely know massively most likely outcome on sat is a loss.

The Prince got very pally with talk sport when the wilder situation arose doing interviews etc. so he clearly has connections there.

If if he has made his decision then it would be smart to slowlh implement the idea to the fans so it’s not as big a shock as we all know it’s going to cause some Divison

Since the start of the season they have been saying hecky will be 1st to go, I can't understand why they picked him yet Company who is basically no better gets a pass

The Prince got very pally with talk sport when the wilder situation arose doing interviews etc. so he clearly has connections there.

If if he has made his decision then it would be smart to slowlh implement the idea to the fans so it’s not as big a shock as we all know it’s going to cause some Divison
There is already division between fans, its obvious on here

The attitude that we only do well under local people should set alarm bells ringing rather than something to keep chasing.

A few of us, myself included, get frustrated by the parochial approach of many but as well as the fact that there's nothing logical about only local people succeeding (getting the club? 🥱), it obviously seriously limits our chances if doing much remotely consistently.

That article looks like typical clickbait but then again, it would be so SUFC to bring back Wilder with Billy in some role to try to pacify those not taken by it.

We all like a local boy done good but frankly it's utterly depressing how so many of our fans only want or trust local people, and specifically Blades.

I’ve said this before, the “sheffield United way” needs cultural reform. Even the mantra of outfight, outwork, outplay (or whatever it is) still suggests underdog level to me. All those things at other clubs in the PL are a given and are just expected as a matter of course.

Any new owner/long term manager with any clout needs to reform our club culturally at a really deep level where we change from battlers, hard workers and underdogs to a club thats known for its adopted style of football.

I genuinely think this needs looking at but our fans will never allow the time that needs to happen.

What rankles me a lot about this if Wilder does take over next week, then it may well give credence to a handful of those who've been derided for months for saying this would happen.

That suggests to me that if a few posters on here knew what was in the pipeline, then Hecky most likely will have had wind of it too.

Knill is a lovely bloke but he was sat right behind the dugout against City with no Welsh players to watch. I couldn't believe he'd sit there if he was just keeping a watching brief in readiness. I've since seen him at most home games although I'm not sure if he's sat there each time.

Still supposition at this point but it's starting to leave a sour taste for me.

What rankles me a lot about this if Wilder does take over next week, then it may well give credence to a handful of those who've been derided for months for saying this would happen.

That suggests to me that if a few posters on here knew what was in the pipeline, then Hecky most likely will have had wind of it too.

Knill is a lovely bloke but he was sat right behind the dugout against City with no Welsh players to watch. I couldn't believe he'd sit there if he was just keeping a watching brief in readiness. I've since seen him at most home games although I'm not sure if he's sat there each time.

Still supposition at this point but it's starting to leave a sour taste for me.

He, was in fanny's before the international break, after Everton? if my memory serves me.

He wasnt hiding or acting cloak n dagger though, seemed like he'd come to the game and then gone for a pint, very chatty with those that wanted to talk to him.

Must have left the game early though to avoid the bedlam getting served, not daft is he.

Last edited:
I'd take Wilder back on a short term contract until the end of the season to at least see us go down with a fight. I don't think any manager will improve the results enough to see us stay up, but a change in manager should see a change in performances and see us get some results.

As to who takes us back up again next summer, the search starts now and Wilder would have from the day he returns to the end of the season to show the board that his name should be in the hat. Giving him a long term contract like the board did with Hecky would be repeat madness.

He's not coming back in my mind. The board did this with appointing Hecky when we went down.
It's put out as a story of a controversial appointment and then they see how the fanbase react to it and then follow that. Ultimately appointing the populist choice in Slav.
Most fans don't want him coming back, so I'd assume they'd move on.

I’ve said this before, the “sheffield United way” needs cultural reform. Even the mantra of outfight, outwork, outplay (or whatever it is) still suggests underdog level to me. All those things at other clubs in the PL are a given and are just expected as a matter of course.

Any new owner/long term manager with any clout needs to reform our club culturally at a really deep level where we change from battlers, hard workers and underdogs to a club thats known for its adopted style of football.

I genuinely think this needs looking at but our fans will never allow the time that needs to happen.
Completely agree with your post - we are very much living in the 70s when it comes to football culture
Pretty embarrassing at times
Admittedly the managers job is not attractive to most for lots of obvious reasons but the names suggested just back up that old fashioned Sheffield grit culture

Can’t believe he has returned to Sheffield to see his wife and kids who he has barely seen for the last few months, just because his contract in LA finished. Yeah the real reason is to sign for United again.
Yeah he has already been offered a 2 year permanent contract with LA. What i dont know is if he can or even wants to uproot the family. He has a big decision to make for sure. And this would be his last contract so needs to factor in what he’s doing after the contract too. I would imagine that a few English clubs want him on a free so its nice to have a choice.
Do you make stuff up or do you post what you hear? Because if it’s the latter then whoever tells you is making it up.

If Hecky was to go over the weekend and wilder, or anyone else for that matter comes in they are taking over a team with over half the team injured ,a lot of them medium/long term so how does changing the manager now help us?
If Pep came in short term with the players currently available he'd struggle.
The only person with any pedigree with the situation we are in is probably Fallowfield ☹️

Back
Top Bottom