Is he coming back?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

RIPPING YARNS springs to mind. The club has lost its nut.

Disagree.....if the Prince is selling up...then he's only focussed on this season.
Suspect he has no interest it putting down a proper strategic plan and dishing out a 4 year contract for an ambitious up and coming manager.
The logic is, new owners tend to want to bring in their own man and start their own plan.
So who ever we have as manager this season is likely to be sacked and paid off, when we're taken over.

The Prince will either stick with Hecky or bring someone in on a 1 season contract, probably low paid with a massive staying up bonus.
The new man might be told he must work with McCall and Lester and it's a massive bonus if they can hit the ground running.

Wilder already knows most of the players and knows the club and the owner inside out.
The Prince is hoping for a miracle, so his logic will be, he's seen Wilder perform a miracle much harder than this seasons task
by talking a team bottom of league 1 to the edge of the Champions league places. It was only covid that stopped the charge.

Our history shows that whenever we bring on outsiders, it tends not to work. (Robson, Adkins, Slav)
However when we appoint people linked to the club or from within (Blackwell, Wilder, Hecky) then it's tended to be a success.
Anyhow suspect the Prince will think he's only giving Wilder a 7 month contract, so what does he have to lose?

If I was owner then the timing is important.
Hecky generally has the support of the fanbase, so there's no urgency to gamble yet.
However let's say we're outclassed by both Wolves and Bournmouth, then surely the crowd will turn.
My issue is never the result, in fact the results have been respectable, my issue is the performances where we always look 2 leagues below the opposition. The Man Utd 1st half is the only game where we played the Sheffield United way, we might lose, we might get relegated but we should go down fighting, competing, making it tough for the opposition, with a game plan, belief and attitude to try and win.

If we repeat that 1st half Man Utd performance on a regular basis, then Hecky stays. If we continue to be so far away from this level, that before the match, you feel like there's no hope we can possibly win, then Hecky must go.....but only if we have a replacement lined up.

Disagree.....if the Prince is selling up...then he's only focussed on this season.
Suspect he has no interest it putting down a proper strategic plan and dishing out a 4 year contract for an ambitious up and coming manager.
The logic is, new owners tend to want to bring in their own man and start their own plan.
So who ever we have as manager this season is likely to be sacked and paid off, when we're taken over.

The Prince will either stick with Hecky or bring someone in on a 1 season contract, probably low paid with a massive staying up bonus.
The new man might be told he must work with McCall and Lester and it's a massive bonus if they can hit the ground running.

Wilder already knows most of the players and knows the club and the owner inside out.
The Prince is hoping for a miracle, so his logic will be, he's seen Wilder perform a miracle much harder than this seasons task
by talking a team bottom of league 1 to the edge of the Champions league places. It was only covid that stopped the charge.

Our history shows that whenever we bring on outsiders, it tends not to work. (Robson, Adkins, Slav)
However when we appoint people linked to the club or from within (Blackwell, Wilder, Hecky) then it's tended to be a success.
Anyhow suspect the Prince will think he's only giving Wilder a 7 month contract, so what does he have to lose?

Hecky generally has the support of the fanbase, so there's no urgency to gamble yet.
However let's say we're outclassed by both Wolves and Bournmouth, then surely the crowd will turn.
My issue is never the result, in fact the results have been respectable, my issue is the performances where we always look 2 leagues below the opposition. The Man Utd 1st half is the only game where we played the Sheffield United way, we might lose, we might get relegated but we should go down fighting, competing, making it tough for the opposition, with a game plan, belief and attitude to try and win.

If we repeat that 1st half Man Utd performance on a regular basis, then Hecky stays. If we continue to be so far away from this level, that before the match, you feel like there's no hope we can possibly win, then Hecky must go.....but only if we have a replacement lined up.

Harris and Basset. The best two aren’t local and had no prior links. Blackwell shouldn’t be mentioned in the same breath as Wilder as far as success is concerned.

We agree to disagree then pal. Wilder is not the right man in my opinion, despite some of the parts fitting. UTB.

The attitude that we only do well under local people should set alarm bells ringing rather than something to keep chasing.

A few of us, myself included, get frustrated by the parochial approach of many but as well as the fact that there's nothing logical about only local people succeeding (getting the club? 🥱), it obviously seriously limits our chances if doing much remotely consistently.

That article looks like typical clickbait but then again, it would be so SUFC to bring back Wilder with Billy in some role to try to pacify those not taken by it.

We all like a local boy done good but frankly it's utterly depressing how so many of our fans only want or trust local people, and specifically Blades.

But no-one's buying us.

Can’t believe he has returned to Sheffield to see his wife and kids who he has barely seen for the last few months, just because his contract in LA finished. Yeah the real reason is to sign for United again.

Can’t believe he has returned to Sheffield to see his wife and kids who he has barely seen for the last few months, just because his contract in LA finished. Yeah the real reason is to sign for United again.
United who he couldn't play for until January as we have no squad places.

The whole Andros Townsend thing is a red herring. Luton didn't have 25 senior pros on their books so they could register him. We have 25, even if some are injured.

United who he couldn't play for until January as we have no squad places.

The whole Andros Townsend thing is a red herring. Luton didn't have 25 senior pros on their books so they could register him. We have 25, even if some are injured.
Yeah he has already been offered a 2 year permanent contract with LA. What i dont know is if he can or even wants to uproot the family. He has a big decision to make for sure. And this would be his last contract so needs to factor in what he’s doing after the contract too. I would imagine that a few English clubs want him on a free so its nice to have a choice.

And how pathetic that would be of this football club

The attitude that we only do well under local people should set alarm bells ringing rather than something to keep chasing.

A few of us, myself included, get frustrated by the parochial approach of many but as well as the fact that there's nothing logical about only local people succeeding (getting the club? 🥱), it obviously seriously limits our chances if doing much remotely consistently.

That article looks like typical clickbait but then again, it would be so SUFC to bring back Wilder with Billy in some role to try to pacify those not taken by it.

We all like a local boy done good but frankly it's utterly depressing how so many of our fans only want or trust local people, and specifically Blades.

Agree....it is weird though....may be it's a Sheffield thing...whenever we show ambition regards manager appointments it never seems to work.
Sheffield people seem to prefer familiarity and don't like change. We prefer substance over style. Workers over skill merchants.

Robson had a good CV with a few worrying alarm bells attached but there's no denying he was a massive name, recognised around the world.
Think the board covered some of the concerns by bringing the very highly rated Brian Kidd as his assistant. Initially played decent passing keep possession football but it was too slow with little penetration. Boring compared to Warnock, up and at em all action style.

Nigel Akins had a fantastic CV, came in at great expense, at last we're showing ambition, poor manager for us.
Slavisa Jukanovic had a fantastic CV, never seemed to fit our DNA, played decent passing football but it was similar to Swansea, slow with no pentration. Some have mentioned Hasenhuttle but you just can't imagine someone like him at SUFC.

I'm agreeing with you Davalon, it would make a change to bring in someone who isn't local with no prior links to the club.
However suspect they'd need some persuading and that means a decent salary over a long contract so if they fail they receive a decent pay off.
Due to the imminent takeover we're currently in a state of limbo, hence why I believe if the Prince changes manager it will be bringing someone is temporary. Just a low risk, low cost risk. The Prince might think he has nothing to lose offering Warnock or Wilder a 6 months contract.

The experiment with a foreign manager ended well.

Fans saying they can't understand what he's saying etc.....

We agree to disagree then pal. Wilder is not the right man in my opinion, despite some of the parts fitting. UTB.

Fair enough, I can see why someone might not be keen.
I have my doubts too but I'm starting to feel we might end up being desperate, so need to consider all options.

The 1st half display against Man Utd was really promising, enjoyed it and we were a genuine threat playing decent football
play like that and even if we're relegated I'd accept Hecky for the rest of the season.
So I'm certainly not anti-Hecky. I'm pro Sheffield United FC and still hopeful we can start competing properly.

Back
Top Bottom