Is fitness over rated?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

knowsnowt

Get to fuck!
Reaction score
I mean, if players can pass really accurately then they shouldn't have to run as much.

We pioneered overlapping wing backs when everyone said it was stupid.. So why can't we pioneer a new style where players don't need to run much?

We've created a culture that puts running 34 miiles over 90 minutes above a simple side step to create space. It's nuts if you think about it.
We should create a team around Mousset and let them eat what they want,. putting the emphasis on ability not fitness.

We've allowed ourselves to be drawn into some bullshit where 20m players on 60k pw is the norm.. It just needs someone to see through it and smash the reality of it.

I know I'll get called nuts ( very unjustly) for my forward thinking,.but just take a minute to think about it and it makes perfect sense.

Imagine the players we could attract if they weren't tied to a stupid fitness and diet regime.

It won't be given a chance though because your average fan is too brainwashed, along with most club owners and managers. :(

An interesting proposition, but given the high stakes of success and failure in the modern game, it seems a bit risky.

Players like Jimmy Greaves, Dennis Law and George Best and Alan Clarke might agree with you, but they are all dead. They were also supported by some very fit and talented club mates laying on goals for them.

The risk factor is why it's such a brilliant idea.
How many times have we complained about tippy tappy backwards football that results in nothing! There's absolutely nothing wrong with a player holding the ball for 17 minutes whilst waiting for that one pass if it creates a goal.
Guess it depends if you want entertainment or success above all else though.
The concept isn't flawed. It's pioneering. And a way we can compete with the big 6.
Set pieces would be won out of sheer frustration from the opposition. And our accuracy would take advantage.
Who cares if we only pass 5 time in 45 minutes if we score from a free kick or penalty?
And whose gonna knock a 20st player off the ball!

The risk factor is why it's such a brilliant idea.
How many times have we complained about tippy tappy backwards football that results in nothing! There's absolutely nothing wrong with a player holding the ball for 17 minutes whilst waiting for that one pass if it creates a goal.
Guess it depends if you want entertainment or success above all else though.
The concept isn't flawed. It's pioneering. And a way we can compete with the big 6.
Set pieces would be won out of sheer frustration from the opposition. And our accuracy would take advantage.
Who cares if we only pass 5 time in 45 minutes if we score from a free kick or penalty?
And whose gonna knock a 20st player off the ball!

I'm just visualising moose as he gets out of the car for pre season training..

I think you need both. Sadly we displayed neither an acceptable level of fitness nor technique for a season and a half

An interesting proposition, but given the high stakes of success and failure in the modern game, it seems a bit risky.

Players like Jimmy Greaves, Dennis Law and George Best and Alan Clarke might agree with you, but they are all dead. They were also supported by some very fit and talented club mates laying on goals for them.

Only George Best is dead of that lot!

Don't be picking on him, It's his glands.
And the fact that he's worth millions, it's a lot of boneless boxes... 600+ £16.99 banquets a week on his current wage.. That's 85 buckets a day.. You've lowballed that "hard to shift" 20 stone striker evaluation..if we let the moose loose on the colonel..

Might be why he crashed the lambo, KFC grease seeping onto the front tyres from the bonnet compartment..

Look at Verratti, parties hard in Paris, he smokes, he drinks. He's not particularly fit but a brilliant player.

Why not bypass passing altogether, just shoot everytime the ball drops to us, even in our own half.

Laws of averages say some will go in and if you don't shoot, you don't score. No fitness required and highest shot percentage in the league. Winning football masterclass right here. (Brewster may even bag a few!)

Why not bypass passing altogether, just shoot everytime the ball drops to us, even in our own half.

Laws of averages say some will go in and if you don't shoot, you don't score. No fitness required and highest shot percentage in the league. Winning football masterclass right here. (Brewster may even bag a few!)
Please don't make my thread silly.
Thanks in advance.

Better fitness means you can operate at a higher level and maintain concentration for longer 🤷‍♂️

All the best teams and players nowadays have really good levels of fitness. Cristiano Ronaldo could well carry on for a further 4 years at a high level which is mad for a player who plays the role he does.

It's not just about fitness of course but a fitter player over 90 mins might be able wear down a players with a higher ability who begins to tire at about the 60min mark.

It's a fascinating idea, but I have worries about what it does for the fans. This is making generations of comments shouted from the stands redundant, the staple of fan culture, sarcasm is wiped out.

"I'm fitter than that pillock, Slav. Sort it."
"My grannies quicker than you."
"Who ate all the pies?"
"He's fat, he's round, he bounces round the ground"

Those and many more would be gone, because they are no longer sarcastic but true. Think of the fans knowsnowt

Most fat bastard players have a bit a magic about them, thats why theyre allowed to get away with it. Glyn Hodges and Lee Trundle come to mind, tubby wizards.

We're doing it wrong with Moose, hes no Harry Potter, the old "watch this pie disappear" trick is wearing thin

Get Duffy back and force feed him foie gras style

Definitely not, if you’re not able to outwork the opposition on and off the ball you’ll get overrun and beaten.

Other clubs will have fit squads.

Back
Top Bottom